Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a call from someone saying they had a reverse rotation BB Ford in a jet boat. Has anyone ever heard of this?

·
Administrator
16,877 Posts
Maybe he converted it back to standard rotation.

Or he installed the balancer toward the pump.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Maybe he is talking about the starter! New one on me!

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
lol prob pulled the dizzy cap and cranked it, wondered why it was turning backwards:D

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I dunno...he says the balancer turns counter closkwise when he cranks it over. He seemed to be pretty sure of what he was sayin, but it's the first I've ever heard of a reverse rotation jet pump. The impeller would have to be made opposite, and the vanes in the bowl reversed. He says it has a top mount starter...my guess is he'll fnid out it's not a reverse rotation starter.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I dunno...he says the balancer turns counter closkwise when he cranks it over. He seemed to be pretty sure of what he was sayin, but it's the first I've ever heard of a reverse rotation jet pump. The impeller would have to be made opposite, and the vanes in the bowl reversed. He says it has a top mount starter...my guess is he'll fnid out it's not a reverse rotation starter.
bet your rite, had a buddy put his own starter on awhile back and was spitting out fuel, sure nuff when i asked where he got the starter i gotta "orielly's":p

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Have seen a guy get a starter rebuilt and rebuilder didn't know it was a reverse rotation! Motor would start cranking backassards no startee!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Have seen a guy get a starter rebuilt and rebuilder didn't know it was a reverse rotation! Motor would start cranking backassards no startee!
Never seen a counter rotating BBF but there may be one? Have seen this other scenario Wide track described several times as well though , prevelant with Fords equipt with Prestolite staters , after starter replacement the motor cranks wont start and backfires thru the carb usually happens when the customer takes the starter to XYZ auto parts or.. they give them something that "looks like" what he had , As I recall The only reverse rotation Jet drive Impeller (and bowl) (have pics somewhere) we have have seen was one specially engineered and machined by a friend for a Gas Turbine powered jet boat a few years back Tom

http://www.gas-turbines.com/squirt_1/index.html

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
reverse rotations jets Suck !:D

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
Never seen a counter rotating BBF but there may be one? Have seen this other scenario Wide track described several times as well though , prevelant with Fords equipt with Prestolite staters , after starter replacement the motor cranks wont start and backfires thru the carb usually happens when the customer takes the starter to XYZ auto parts or.. they give them something that "looks like" what he had , As I recall The only reverse rotation Jet drive Impeller (and bowl) (have pics somewhere) we have have seen was one specially engineered and machined by a friend for a Gas Turbine powered jet boat a few years back Tom

http://www.gas-turbines.com/squirt_1/index.html
Hey TOM! Remember when I had that dumptruck load of Tilton starters!
I found out the hard way how to tell the diff. in rotation! gave a buddy
one for his 540 in a placecraft tunnel ! had the reverse rotation drive gear
in it! OOPS:)sphss starter spun the right way- drive just freewheeled cuz
sprag was backwards! and ya all know what you gotta do to change the
starter in a placecraft! my bad- gave him 2 correct ones 4 the trouble!

·
Registered
643 Posts
V-drive circle boats used to run reverse rotation Fords. In super stock boats, the crank snout on a Ford is much smaller than a Chevrolet. Ford crank snouts would break when trying to run off the balancer. The ford guys would run the motor backward so they could run off the flywheel. Don't know why someone would run one in a jet boat.

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
There was a guy that made his own parts and had a reverse rotation jet-drive. They were basically one off parts, the guy had a whole write up on his project. It surfaced on the old hotboat boards many times, not sure if its still around.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts