Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Co-Founder of SHB
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anybody received a Rex Marine Catalog ? I have asked and asked and never received one, and I mean for years, the last I heard Mike was in the process of printing them that was a couple years ago..any updates Mike??:)hand

Markist

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
I have one from around 98, I wish I had a new one because I like to look thru them in the library.:)devil

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Mark, I dont think that Mike @ Rex is making one at the moment, on the HB boards it was quite the topic, kinda like HB sending out a shirt with a subscription! lol not beating up on Mike, but I think with having the internet in your pocket these days- a book full of parts is kind of a thing of the past IMO
everything you need is on his website! www.rexmar.com
This is a good spot for hud to drop a nudie bomb! J/K Mike!

·
The Grand Wizard
2,912 Posts
Those catalogs cost a good amount to print, then there is the cost of mailing. I am sure with this tough economy (especially hitting the boating industry) it will be sometime before there is extra cash for a catalog. The website does just fine for now, I know a ton of people still like having the physical copies around though and I am with you on that one. Sometimes you dont want to fire up the computer and look around, when you can look at the catalog in the garage, on the crapper, etc... :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Those catalogs cost a good amount to print, then there is the cost of mailing. I am sure with this tough economy (especially hitting the boating industry) it will be sometime before there is extra cash for a catalog. The website does just fine for now, I know a ton of people still like having the physical copies around though and I am with you on that one. Sometimes you dont want to fire up the computer and look around, when you can look at the catalog in the garage, on the crapper, etc... :)

I could not disagree more. :D The price of the paper used to print these catalogs is down 30% in fact the paper mills are slow and ready to go out of business you can literaly name your price. As far as the printing costs, printers are in the same boat ( no pun intended) as the paper mills. You literally have entire printing plants with presses sitting idle right now.....in fact some have lights off in certain parts of the facility.

**** my background is a paper and print buyer in the midwest. have been in the purchasing field working with these commodities for over 14 years and I manage a spend of about $34 million each year

Not saying printing and mailing a catalog is free but you need to get stuff in front of peoples faces if you want them to buy it. Hell I read my Dana catalog and CP catalog each night...... I have a wish list a page long and pull the trigger on buying certain items when I have some free cash....

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
If not a printed catalog how about updating the web site with all the current items offered and current prices. That would work for me.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
I just tried to find bumprail so I can match mine. No pics or part numbers. I need 12 ft and don't want to drive to Socal to find it not in stock. Pat:D
Pat, he recently started stocking the Rub Rail stuff, im sure the info will be added to their deal soon, with L&L closing theior doors, somebody had to step and offer the so cal boating industry the oddball parts, and from what I can tell Rex has stepped up in a large way and has become more of a kingpin with those oddball parts that they earlier did not offer, give em' some time and im sure things will be more clear!
There is the economy too,...what employer wants to spend money on a book that will be given away for free, when the website clearly gets more views, if the site does not have it, a simple phone call will do just fine,
Not being a cheerleader, but there is no Jegs or summit for this kind of genre, i for one am kinda glad to know that they have most everything I need when i need it, or well within a few working days!
Markist, I think I know where my old book is, if I find it, I will mail it to you.
Hope all is well, say hello to "DAYUM GINA" for us!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I'm not knocking Rex Marine. I've always had the best service with them. There are only a few companies I do business with these days and it's all about the service. Rex Marine is one of them, Berkeley and CP Performance are the others. Oh yeah, there's Hi-Tech Performance, too. I think these are the best companies to do business with. Always ready to answer questions and help with information.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm not knocking Rex Marine. I've always had the best service with them. There are only a few companies I do business with these days and it's all about the service. Rex Marine is one of them, Berkeley and CP Performance are the others. Oh yeah, there's Hi-Tech Performance, too. I think these are the best companies to do business with. Always ready to answer questions and help with information.
Don't forget JetBoatperformance:|err They are ALWAYS ready to help and will even call you back if they are busy at the time you call. Great with ideas too.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I could not disagree more. :D The price of the paper used to print these catalogs is down 30% in fact the paper mills are slow and ready to go out of business you can literaly name your price. As far as the printing costs, printers are in the same boat ( no pun intended) as the paper mills. You literally have entire printing plants with presses sitting idle right now.....in fact some have lights off in certain parts of the facility.

**** my background is a paper and print buyer in the midwest. have been in the purchasing field working with these commodities for over 14 years and I manage a spend of about $34 million each year

Not saying printing and mailing a catalog is free but you need to get stuff in front of peoples faces if you want them to buy it. Hell I read my Dana catalog and CP catalog each night...... I have a wish list a page long and pull the trigger on buying certain items when I have some free cash....

hmm.. lets think about this.. Print cost X amount of dollars.. I can host a website on a major carrier for about 100 dollars per year.. Print reaches how many thousand customers for how many thousands of dollars.. The internet reaches BILLIONS of people for that same 100 bucks...

Mobile and internet sales is up 1400% in the last 10 years and print is down 80%.. which makes more sense in these economic times? How many newspapers have closed their doors for online only? Why do you think those paper mills and printing presses are slow? Spend a few thousand and reach a few thousand or spend 100 and reach billions? Books and catalogs may have been great 10 years ago but no longer and thats especially true for the small to medium sized buisness. Unless you can offset the price of the catalog by placing adds in it from suppliers its a unwarranted expence.

just my .02 from a technology geek.

Edit: 80% down may be wrong... I just went thru some training regarding media and what was the most growing and what was the worst decline.. Mobile was number 1 with 1400% positive and printed media (IE newspapers and magazines) was down something like 80%. It may have been less than 80, i tried to look but i lost my documentation darn it... :) . But mobile was a solid 1400+ and print was the worst loser.

Second edit: "The Wounded U.S. Newspaper Industry Lost $7.5 Billion in Advertising Revenues Last Year"

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/03/29/the-wounded-us-newspaper-industry-lost-75-billion-in-advertising-revenues-last-year/

Print is a dying breed.

·
@ The Islander
4,182 Posts

I could not disagree more.:D It's not just the cost of printing the catalog, it's the cost of "building" the catalog that gets really expensive. We just did a new catalog at my work withing the last year.

Software $1K

Time to building it ie; images wording, pages, part numbers, etc. 200 hours

Cost to give this built catalog to a printer to print 500 copies of a 200 page (100 actual pages printed on both sides) one color only, 7K

This does not include mailing, packages to mail, etc.

Catalogs cost a bundle.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I could not disagree more.:D It's not just the cost of printing the catalog, it's the cost of "building" the catalog that gets really expensive. We just did a new catalog at my work withing the last year.

Software $1K

Time to building it ie; images wording, pages, part numbers, etc. 200 hours

Cost to give this built catalog to a printer to print 500 copies of a 200 page (100 actual pages printed on both sides) one color only, 7K

This does not include mailing, packages to mail, etc.

Catalogs cost a bundle.
agreed. you could have put the whole thing online for for a 10th of the price and reached 100 times the amount of people.

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
Has anybody received a Rex Marine Catalog ? I have asked and asked and never received one, and I mean for years, the last I heard Mike was in the process of printing them that was a couple years ago..any updates Mike??:)hand

Markist
Catalog discussion From the Rex Marine link on this site:
http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=8636

Legit question Markist...

Not a lot I can tell I haven't already said in the link so I'll refer to that with only a slight addition below.

With revenues and layoffs throughout our industry running in the 50-90% off range (my business and many of my wholesale customer's businesses in particular), it's safe to say my plan right now has not changed.

I realize many would like a catalog as would I, and would like better and more regular web updates and level of completeness to be further along, as would I. We continue to work with what we have and do the best job we can under a set of economic and personnel level circumstances that are a long way from being optimal at this time. We aren't a big company and I've been forced to lay off a couple very good people in the past recent weeks, one yesterday in fact, which causes me personal anguish every day.

On a positive note for you guys I am cleaning house on many slow moving inventory categories (leaning down) and some equipment we are not using that I have listed and will be listing much more of in the coming days and weeks. Keep an eye on my mfg forum as you are going to see some great one-time deals popping up there for you.

Thank you for the continued support. Mike

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
I'm on the tech side of this argument. Website reach a much larger audience for much less $$$.

I would bet money that the one's asking for a paper catalog are in the older crowd. Probably the same people that still keep a phone book laying around. Not knocking old people I'm just saying...

Me personally, I'm 40 and I have no problem taking my laptop to the shitter with me. My wireless network and laptop work just fine on the shitter and in my shop. I would much rather have a real time catalog with current pricing 24/7/365. Same reason I prefer forums over print magazines. Real time feedback and tons more info than what is in a monthly magazine.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts