Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's about 3 threads on floor makeovers. I'm really disapointed how mine is turning out. Got the undercoating out of the bilge , working getting the carpet glue out now. Obviously, the floor was never meant to be exposed. I have seen a few boats with the interior shot with bed liner. I thought it was clean looking, & now it can be done in colors. But, I'm told it decreases the value of the boat cause it looks like you're trying to hide something. Pros , cons, thoughts?

·
ICETOM
62 Posts
Some friends of mine did the floor or their Sanger Super Jet with a bedliner deal not rhino and I think it looks great.I am planning on doing mine also.I am so sick of wet dirty carpet in the boat.With the spray in liner all ya have to do is hose it out and throw the cover on.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
If you don't want to spray there is a product I've used called durabak that you can brush or roll, if you use it roll it and get one of there special rollers or it will turn out like stucco. It's like 100.00 per gal. It comes in a variety of colors .

·
slower than you
45 Posts
if your worried about resale, because of trying to hide something, document the process with pics, but ultimatly make it how you want it screw everyone else IMO

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I would not spray that stuff in my boat. Looks like hell and is very ghetto. If you want it to look nice, take the time and do it right. Dont pour that crap over it so the next guy has to tear it off.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I'm not a fan of carpet in a boat. I'm kinda curious what Brendella considers "right" , as far as the floor in a boat. Right now I'm diggin the balsa on the sides of my 21 daytona but I may rhino(durabak) the bottom of my center sponson. Ironicly I own a carpet/flooring store.:D:)grn

·
Inland Empire-Big River
807 Posts
There's about 3 threads on floor makeovers. I'm really disapointed how mine is turning out. Got the undercoating out of the bilge , working getting the carpet glue out now. Obviously, the floor was never meant to be exposed. I have seen a few boats with the interior shot with bed liner. I thought it was clean looking, & now it can be done in colors. But, I'm told it decreases the value of the boat cause it looks like you're trying to hide something. Pros , cons, thoughts?
To me it looks like your hiding something. I know I looked at a boat that had it done and I walked away because thats the exact feeling I had. You could be hiding with the carpet as well I suppose but theres something about the liner thats not right too me. The nicest work usually requires the toughest effort. Hang in there with your floor. Ultimately you are the only one that needs to like it (until you sell it). Only my thoughts...good luck!
Richard

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I'm not a fan of carpet in a boat. I'm kinda curious what Brendella considers "right" , as far as the floor in a boat. Right now I'm diggin the balsa on the sides of my 21 daytona but I may rhino(durabak) the bottom of my center sponson. Ironicly I own a carpet/flooring store.:D:)grn
This is what I consider right.

Gel coat. Hides nothing. The new owner of this boat has no doubts as to the condition of the floor because he can see the condition of it(plus I have about a thousand pics of it)If the floor starts to delaminate or the stringers start cracking, the gel will too. Rhino liner will hide those things which could cause problems or potentially hurt someone.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Rough liners (rhino liners) or what ever are not my thing but if you like and its your boat then it doesnt matter what other people think but i would think about the fact that anything with a rough texture will hold dirt,oil or anything you spill in it will probably stick to it or be very hard to get out, smoothe surfaces are much easier to clean but without finishing the floors that wont look good eather. There is nothing wrong with carpet i think it looks very nice in most cases as long as you dont just thrash it, its actually pretty durable if you use good carpet. Its not a good pic but i had my floors redone and was worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts

When water hits the colored spray liners the color sometimes fades or bleeds, and if you put the coating over it it gets really slippery

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you do it spend some money and get the real deal! Rino and some others have uv protectants and will hold up fine. I want to do this same mod its clean looking andvery easy to clean sand off of, just hose it down! and its not as slippery a jellcoat. To each his own on their personal preferances but its a great idea if you hang out on the beach like I do. Carpet sucks! holds water,dirt and everything else. If the bed of my truck still looks new after all that has been thrown at it a boat floor will stay perfect forever! If its a lake fun boat I say go for it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts