attach right. I'm in the middle of doing everything else right now, so a
new bowl isn't in the cards right now. Can the machining be done & intake
installed with just the shoe installed? Please, help a fellow jet boat brother
out.......

·
Strap on the JATO
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also see a shoe/ride plate kit for intakes that are already installed on HI-TECH's website. How about the water loading at high speeds? Is a shoe required to keep the jet loaded or will a good loader work? I have a 2155 intake that is rounded for the shallow "V". So, how about the ride plates that are part of the droop kit on the Eddie Marine website? Anyone use these? This is confusing, there's too many options........

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
I also see a shoe/ride plate kit for intakes that are already installed on HI-TECH's website. How about the water loading at high speeds? Is a shoe required to keep the jet loaded or will a good loader work? I have a 2155 intake that is rounded for the shallow "V". So, how about the ride plates that are part of the droop kit on the Eddie Marine website? Anyone use these? This is confusing, there's too many options........
You have the intake out!!! Have it machined for a shoe!!!:|err

Do not make the same mistake I made, and rush the project and put the intake in without machining for a shoe. Then, 4 months later, wishing that I had machined the intake for the shoe and installed a ride plate. The adapt-a-shoe is for boats with the intake already installed!!!:|err

My Ride Plate/Shoe Thread

·
Registered
307 Posts
Give Duane at Hi-Tech a call.(Or Jack at MPD) I am sure he can answer your questions and get you headed in the right direction.

In general, the add a shoe kits and the add on ride plates are a half way measure, you won't see the full benefit. You have your intake out, machine it and get the shoe/ride plate. OldSquirt posted a pic of a cradle Hi-Tech made for the "C" bowl. Just my $.02

Doug

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Give Duane at Hi-Tech a call.(Or Jack at MPD) I am sure he can answer your questions and get you headed in the right direction.

In general, the add a shoe kits and the add on ride plates are a half way measure, you won't see the full benefit. You have your intake out, machine it and get the shoe/ride plate. OldSquirt posted a pic of a cradle Hi-Tech made for the "C" bowl. Just my $.02

Doug
now why do you say you will only see half the benefit with the bolt in ride plate kit?

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
what do you mean? you still adjust the plate up or down at the cradle
I don't know, just thinking out loud. Which explains the ??? at the end.

I was thinking more at the shoe, being able to adjust how far above or below keel it sits.:)bulb

·
Registered
911 Posts
now why do you say you will only see half the benefit with the bolt in ride plate kit?
I personally have no experience with these set ups.

It has been said that the adapt a shoe/ride plate set up can negatively affect the boats shut down due to it haning lower than the keel. A machined shoe normally sits above the keel.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I don't know, just thinking out loud. Which explains the ??? at the end.

I was thinking more at the shoe, being able to adjust how far above or below keel it sits.:)bulb
HJ,

I am glad you are on here to soak up as much knowledge as possible and are bored, but when it comes to people asking questions, unless you KNOW what you are talking about sit back and learn with some of the answers. The advice about machining the shoe since it is already out is absolutely 100% correct. +1 for you. Coming on after that with guesses can cost someone a lot of time, a lot of money, or get them hurt. I know you are eager to share everything you have picked up here so you can be the teacher not the student but you do have to be careful with what you say because like I said there are consequences here even if you put questionmarks at the end???.

Cy

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Cy,

Very well put. Some of us that even know something can be reluctant to respond to some of the questions.

Tim

·
Strap on the JATO
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, My boat is a 18' semi V, where will the rideplate come into play
besides high speeds? Is it required for boats under 80? I'm guestimating
on everything since I haven't ran it w/ the motor going in it. Tim Morgan
is setting up the head cam package right now (full roller 454 w/ 990's).
I have a feeling it's going to run like a raped ape, so I'm getting prepared.
I just wasn't sure if the shoe is required if I can get a ride plate setup
that bolts to the droop and not the intake? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
well i guess i am going to find out about how it works. i just bought one and plan on installing it. if i have problems with it hanging down to much theres always the grinder:D one thing is right though if you are not sure about what is going to happen thinking out loud could get someone hurt.:)hand

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
HJ,

I am glad you are on here to soak up as much knowledge as possible and are bored, but when it comes to people asking questions, unless you KNOW what you are talking about sit back and learn with some of the answers. The advice about machining the shoe since it is already out is absolutely 100% correct. +1 for you. Coming on after that with guesses can cost someone a lot of time, a lot of money, or get them hurt. I know you are eager to share everything you have picked up here so you can be the teacher not the student but you do have to be careful with what you say because like I said there are consequences here even if you put questionmarks at the end???.

Cy
:))THumbsUp

Quick question though. (not trying to be a smart ass or anything, just curious) Was what I said completely wrong?:)eh:) Since you went through the trouble of typing all this up, I will assume, yes. But if that is the case, then I am really getting confused.

Also, here's some more reading material for ya' kona.;)
Adapt A Shoe & Ride Plate???_1
Adapt A Shoe and Ride Plate???_2

·
Strap on the JATO
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, done reading.... So, from what I've read some boats benefit
from a shoe & some don't? Any thoughts here? How about something
I've been asking about but hasn't been answered yet; The droop that
incorporates a ride plate that turns up just before the transom? It's in
the Eddie Marine catalog. Does anyone know the difference of the way
a flat bottom compared to a shallow V loads water to the jet? Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Konajet,

I would do some research on your hull and assess your desired speed and ability to get there($$$$)

If the hull is capable of the speed you desire, you can proceed. How fast do you want to go? Depending on the hull, I think anything going over 80 will benefit, some will argue, but whats really important is if you plan on going much faster, ie, anyboat doing 90 more than likely has both parts...Some boats have done 80 without them.

From what I have heard, the "place" kit is not worth the money. If the intake is out, and you like the idea of going fast or justwant to have the ability to get the most out of your ride, get a proper shoe & rideplate. When one takes the time to set a new shoe/rideplate up properly, I highly doubt they would be worse off, reason being that a new shoe is a much nicer piece than the stock casting and is completely adjustable.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Does anyone know the difference of the way
a flat bottom compared to a shallow V loads water to the jet? Thanks guys!!
A shallow V will load it better. Water flowing along a flat surface tends to stay moving in the same flat direction, flows right past the intake. A shallow V allows a proper intake entry with what is often referred to as a bubble, in this case water will flow over the bubble and follow it right into the intake.

·
Strap on the JATO
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now we're talking! Thanks for the info! With a shallow V will I have to
grind down the back of the hull on the bottom flat for the ride plate to
fit? Thanks again!!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Someone needs to post a picture of a machined intake with a shoe, cradle, and ride plate (preferably installed on a boat) so he can understand what you are saying.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts