Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to start a Knowledge based thread, where we can Share information, ask questions and show off the cool rigging ideas that so many of You possess.
I know that I am constantly searching for Ideas for rigging and information on different specifications for rigging. It gets to be alot of searching and not allways finding a quick answer and I thought that if We had a central place to find alot of that info , it would be quicker for all of Us to find what We are looking for.
So if You have a question about rigging or have invented a cool bracket or part, please post them up.

Now SHARE AWAY!

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
I would like to start a Knowledge based thread, where we can Share information, ask questions and show off the cool rigging ideas that so many of You possess.
I know that I am constantly searching for Ideas for rigging and information on different specifications for rigging. It gets to be alot of searching and not allways finding a quick answer and I thought that if We had a central place to find alot of that info , it would be quicker for all of Us to find what We are looking for.
So if You have a question about rigging or have invented a cool bracket or part, please post them up.

Now SHARE AWAY!
rule number one: use the holes that are already in the boat before you drill any new ones. Ask Busby about how many holes were in his boat when he got it.

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
rule number one: use the holes that are already in the boat before you drill any new ones. Ask Busby about how many holes were in his boat when he got it.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT IS RULE #1!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG ... if I never do that again, it'll be too soon

This was just the driver seat area:

That turned into this:

Please never put anyone thru what I went thru ... use the holes that are already there and never, ever, ever just "hog" out the hole a little to make the bolt fit. Do it right the first time and it'll be much cleaner.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I'm sure there's a way to "Archive" the threads. Some other forums I'm on have a Sticky thread, with links for "how to do it yourself" threads that had alot of good info on them.

The trick would be to start the sticky thread now, and add post to it as sites continue, such as your thread Hal would make a great Bottom blue printing thread to Archive

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy Swisscheese Brian. You must have the patience of a saint to fill all of those.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
To hell with asking Buzzard,...I filled all 78.5 of em'! lol no wonder why that windwalker was so light, I bet it was a 500lb+ hull before the first hole was drilled! lol

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
To hell with asking Buzzard,...I filled all 78.5 of em'! lol no wonder why that windwalker was so light, I bet it was a 500lb+ hull before the first hole was drilled! lol
Todd did a lot of work bring it back from the condition it was in. Had many "Yuma Years" on it lol (not baggin on ALL Yuma boat riggin jobs ... just this one for sure)

Rigging it with precision and care this time ... no rushing is key. At times it gets old hearing others bag on you for how long it's taking ... but when you want to do it right vs. "throwing it together" and having to re-do it later ... it pays off in results.

I will have plenty of pics sooner or later, and I hope the results are impressive.

Back to class.

Rule #2: Take your time & do it right.

·
Registered
434 Posts
When we rigged the Cheyenne, we used some cheap plastic hose to layout all the fuel and water lines before we cut up the nice real lines. Made a few various brackets and stuff as well for other things. I will post some pics when I get some.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seat brackets

I made some seat brackets from 4"x4"x1/4" aluminum angle. What size should the holes be to bolt to the stringers and what size for the seats themselves?

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
I made some seat brackets from 4"x4"x1/4" aluminum angle. What size should the holes be to bolt to the stringers and what size for the seats themselves?

I used 3/8" for bracket to stringer(two per seat) and 5/16" for seat to brackets(four per seat, two into each bracket)

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
I used 3/8" for bracket to stringer(two per seat)
and 5/16" for seat to brackets(four per seat, two into each bracket)
Same here.

To hell with asking Buzzard,...I filled all 78.5 of em'!
lol no wonder why that windwalker was so light, I bet it was a 500lb+ hull before
the first hole was drilled! lol
And I thought mine was full of holes. I only counted 48. Unfortunately I didn't
have the foresight to snap a picture before the patching had commensed. Also
didn't have the benefit of Todd's skills and had to do it myself.

Curious as to what a "half a hole" looks like.........:D Was it only drilled
half way through........or was it half round-wise?

during

after

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That turned into this:

Please never put anyone thru what I went thru ... use the holes that are already there and never, ever, ever just "hog" out the hole a little to make the bolt fit. Do it right the first time and it'll be much cleaner.
Hey Busby, How was the wood under the glass,with all those holes exposed? Were the stringers still real solid, without any delamination of the glass from the wood?
My next project is a tunnel and the stringers have a few holes, but not as many as Your's. The sringers feel solid, but is hard to tell what condition the wood itself is in.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
Hey Busby, How was the wood under the glass,with all those holes exposed? Were the stringers still real solid,
without any delamination of the glass from the wood?

My next project is a tunnel and the stringers have a few holes, but
not as many as Your's. The sringers feel solid, but is hard to tell what condition the wood itself is in.
Can't speak for Brian and I know you didn't ask me, but that's never
stopped me from commenting before..........

I had lots of holes and the wood was still in surprisingly good condition.
I had to enlarge some of the holes in order to get a snug fit on the
dowel I used to repair them with. When the wood was drilled out to the
next size dowel, it was solid and not black with rot, like you might expect.

If you think about it, all those holes are way above where any standing water
would be in the boat, unless it was sunk.

I think if you were to have any rot issues, it would probably be dry rot.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Dan did You have any delamination,or was all Your glass still bonded well around the stringer.
I have seen cases before where it looked like, inside the stringer, that the wood had shrunk and the glass was a little loose from the wood, but the stringer still felt solid.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Dan did You have any delamination,or was all Your glass still bonded well around the stringer.
I have seen cases before where it looked like, inside the stringer, that the wood had shrunk and the glass was a little loose from the wood, but the stringer still felt solid.
I have seen cases where it looked like the wood inside had shrunk a little and was loose from the glass, but the stingers still felt solid and ridged.
Is all the srength of a stringer in the glass and the wood just acts as a shim inside ?
I have been wondering if I should temporarilly seal the holes as it will be a while before I get to the project...

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
Honestly although the stringer's bond to the hull was still very good and solid,
and the wood not rotted, I did have some delamination or areas where the
fiberglass had lost it's bond to the wood of the stringer itself. Fortunately the
areas that had delamed were all right where the previous engine rails were and
consequently got "the squeeze" again when I put my new rails in making a nice
aluminum, fiberglass, wood samwich.

Not the best situation. They should probably be stripped and recovered, or
better yet completely replaced, but I don't have any worries about them at
least for the time being.

Mine are not the 2" stringers either. They're only 1" wide and still seem plenty
strong. I added some bracing under the seat (piece of 2" X 2" aluminum angle
crossing stringer to stringer and affixing to the engine rails/mount. It's also my
means of mounting the rear seat). This was added more as insurance than
anything else, but it did seem to stiffen things up a bit more. Going to add a
pump/intake brace next winter when the motor comes back out again too.

You can see where I added the brace on the right side of the photo.

·
Registered
550 Posts
on the topic of not adding holes, now that I added headers I am using the old thru hull exhaust tips as dumps. I made some plugs that slip into my old rubber mufflers that are tapped for a hose barb. Keeps it simple and I can switch back to logs if need be (especially since I'm just trying the headers on for size ;))

1 - 20 of 28 Posts