Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tx20 warhawk and a dominator pump, my motor is a 565 bbc 10.5-1 comp. afr 335 heads, cam is 274-278 dur. @50 and 750 lift. I turn a A hi-helix 5500 rpm with a single 1050. my last weekend out with no mufflers and back seat out I ran 98 mph on gps so what started out to do a tunnel ram and dual 4150,s has turned into an addiction!!!!. I went with a profiler sniper tunnel ram and after talking with gary Williams I am going with his dual 1120 dominators and either go with a B or get my impeller cut to get my rpm to 6500. I am also going to change my fuel system to a bypass system. I have also speedcoated the middle tunnel and pump intake and adding a vacuum pump to the motor. so let me have it! am I going the right direction for better performance?

·
Spooling
19 Posts
Holy cow sounds like youre going in the right direction to me. I better get some serious HP in the little hondo im building or I'm going to get left in the dust if we are out on Mark Twain this summer :)Unsure

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you end up buying that Hondo you was looking at and if so how you coming with it?, I would not have my setup if that NHRA track would of opened up in new Florence, I live just off 19, so that would have been close, but I will tell you after building a jet boat it is a lot more addictive than a drag car and cheaper. I am HOOKED. by the way that LS is a great motor for a jet boat, there I no end to them!

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
did you end up buying that Hondo you was looking at and if so how you coming with it?, I would not have my setup if that NHRA track would of opened up in new Florence, I live just off 19, so that would have been close, but I will tell you after building a jet boat it is a lot more addictive than a drag car and cheaper. I am HOOKED. by the way that LS is a great motor for a jet boat, there I no end to them!
I keep telling horsepower junkie friends they need to get into boats for the cost factor alone.ive ran a modified in dirt track, done the asphalt dragracing, and boats are wayyyy more fun and so much cheaper.. throw in a cheap ls motor and its even more fun!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
right direction I was meaning about 2 1120 dominators on my motor, just seams like a lot carbs however his carbs have always been dead on for me so I am not going to change now

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love it!!!! no tires, trannys, rearends, and on & on. as a motorhead once you get your basic setup you can get back to the motor

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I love it!!!! no tires, trannys, rearends, and on & on. as a motorhead once you get your basic setup you can get back to the motor
Exactly!!! Ive gta good friend about to stuff a 750hp screw blown ford mod motor into his 08 mustang and he doesnt go to tracks or race at all.i asked when and where would he need that much for street driving and he had no answer.the guy is as straight laced as it comes ,never gets tickets etc, so to me its just to brag i guess.trying to talk him nto stickn it in a lite tunnel lol at least he cld use the hp then.yeah im sure 0-70mph feels awesome in his stang but 0-100 in a tunnel wld feel sooo much nicer and no tickets ;)

·
Spooling
19 Posts
Yep I ended up dragging it home. Stripping all the paint off of it now. Same here I would still be into cars if they would of built that track... but you know how it goes a couple cry babies can ruin EVERYTHING. It would of been 10 minutes up the road from me and help bring some business into the area. Im hooked too. No turning back now.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
TNyoungblood has a 10 to 1 540 with 750's x 2. I know it will run 100 in 100 degree heat. Seems like a lot of cam and a lot of carb for the peak rpm.

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
right direction I was meaning about 2 1120 dominators on my motor, just seams like a lot carbs however his carbs have always been dead on for me so I am not going to change now
That is a lot of carb and cam for the rpm. Bigger is NOT better in this case. The intake runners are quite big on that manifold and you're going to need less duration to help with some port velocity. You might get a recommendation from CStraub on the cam. I wouldn't have any more than a pair of 1050's.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
STEELCOMP & CSTRAUB, you guys build some great stuff, I am holding off on fogger till next fall when I freshen it and I plan on getting CSTRAUB to do a cam. when I started this project I was doing a 496, I got the 335 heads new, took the short block to machine shop and long story short got back junk. after lots of research I decided on a 565 reher morrisn shortblock and their cam, I have had people tell me it is to big so when we dynoed it the dyno operator could not believe on chp fuel it made over 700 tq from 4500 to 5600 maxing at 720 at 5500 and 800 hp at 6500. it was 90 degree and humid when dynoed and it did not correct for friction & inertia. in the heat I turn 5400 and 5500 on a nice day with pump gas in which the impeiiar chart says 755 hp and 721 tq and all at 30 degrees timing in which you all done help me with in past post. what more could I expect with a cam change and would it be worth looking in to?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly!!! Ive gta good friend about to stuff a 750hp screw blown ford mod motor into his 08 mustang and he doesnt go to tracks or race at all.i asked when and where would he need that much for street driving and he had no answer.the guy is as straight laced as it comes ,never gets tickets etc, so to me its just to brag i guess.trying to talk him nto stickn it in a lite tunnel lol at least he cld use the hp then.yeah im sure 0-70mph feels awesome in his stang but 0-100 in a tunnel wld feel sooo much nicer and no tickets ;)
street racing was big around here sense the closet track is over 2 hours away but the law has brought it to a end, across the river in ILL. they have a law up to vote if convicted you have to watch your car being crushed plus i make my living in a service truck. tell your friend that I have had more BIKINS ride in one summer than 10 years of hotrods

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
STEELCOMP & CSTRAUB, you guys build some great stuff, I am holding off on fogger till next fall when I freshen it and I plan on getting CSTRAUB to do a cam. when I started this project I was doing a 496, I got the 335 heads new, took the short block to machine shop and long story short got back junk. after lots of research I decided on a 565 reher morrisn shortblock and their cam, I have had people tell me it is to big so when we dynoed it the dyno operator could not believe on chp fuel it made over 700 tq from 4500 to 5600 maxing at 720 at 5500 and 800 hp at 6500. it was 90 degree and humid when dynoed and it did not correct for friction & inertia. in the heat I turn 5400 and 5500 on a nice day with pump gas in which the impeiiar chart says 755 hp and 721 tq and all at 30 degrees timing in which you all done help me with in past post. what more could I expect with a cam change and would it be worth looking in to?
IMO with a TR and two carbs, solid roller, you should be well into the 900 hp range and all over 800lbs ft. Like Chris said, a couple years ago we did the top end for a 10.7:1 540 with a tr and a pair of 750's that made 909.1hp @ 6200, 823 lbs/ft @ 5200.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
IMO with a TR and two carbs, solid roller, you should be well into the 900 hp range and all over 800lbs ft. Like Chris said, a couple years ago we did the top end for a 10.7:1 540 with a tr and a pair of 750's that made 909.1hp @ 6200, 823 lbs/ft @ 5200.
Good advise!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dam it must have had EXOTIC HEADS, that does not even compare to your last 565 with the same heads that I have only you spent hours on your heads porting and 13-7-1 over 10-5-1 compression and a vac pump. at this point I am still single carb. I know by bringing my timing up to 36 from 30 and a vac pump & tunnel ram will pick up the tq #s but to tell me it should have more than your 565 seems to be a stretch on 93 octane and nonported heads. now I mean no disrespect, that 565 made great #s but a person really needs to compare apples to apples

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
dam it must have had EXOTIC HEADS, that does not even compare to your last 565 with the same heads that I have only you spent hours on your heads porting and 13-7-1 over 10-5-1 compression and a vac pump. at this point I am still single carb. I know by bringing my timing up to 36 from 30 and a vac pump & tunnel ram will pick up the tq #s but to tell me it should have more than your 565 seems to be a stretch on 93 octane and nonported heads. now I mean no disrespect, that 565 made great #s but a person really needs to compare apples to apples
Maybe you don't understand just what a TR brings to the table?
My last 565 made 965hp and 802 tq. with a 2 circuit carb, loooong tube headers and about the same amount of cam you have, so I'm not sure how I'm telling you yours should be more than that. By "well into" 900 hp I mean not just 902, but a solid 920-930, with a TR and a pair of 1050's and it should make more tq than my 565 did. If I put a TR and a pair of carbs on my last 565 it would be somewhere in the 1040-1050 range and probably 835-840 lbs/ft or more. I would expect a good pump gas 565 with a TR to make 925-930 @ ~67-6800 and at least 820-825lbs ft. which would be right in line with the displacement difference between that and the 540 I was using as a better example. I did not bring up my 565 because it's not an apples to apples comparison.
Plus, you said you were going to add a vac pump and I'm not even taking that into consideration.
I will say that I think the Profiler TR is too big for a 565 turning 7000 or less, and same with two 1100+ carbs but those are what you have. Your tq numbers might suffer some from that or the peak number will just be higher than ideal. Your 335's are a very good, fully CNC'd head that can work very well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well I was comparing tq# I wasn't meaning hp. I should have posted sooner for I had been advise on that intake from Darin and I already got it, the carbs did sound like a lot but I went along with it for I have had lots of his carbs in past, they are his 1050s reworked and he did use his nos boosters and they are on the way so I am stuck with what I got. maybe next fall I will raise the comp. and i do want you to do my cam and upper end, you really know those heads

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i was not meaning the advice was right i am saying that i should have done a little more homework. oh well live and learn!

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
What CI was the Profiler intended for?? I've seen a lot of pics of boats running that tunnel ram, more in race boats.

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
i was not meaning the advice was right i am saying that i should have done a little more homework. oh well live and learn!
I think with the right cam from Chris you can bring the combination together nicely and should make some real good power. A mismatched combination with the right cam will run better than the best parts with the wrong cam. Not saying your combination is mismatched, either, just saying it should be optimized with the right cam.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts