Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Old Skool Member
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is 12 years since my Father passed away. He was military lifer I can't think of a more fitting day for him to pass. Just got off the phone talking with my Mom who is now 83. The only man she had ever been with and we were laughing that he probably thought that all the fireworks were for him :)

He and his brother were orphans and grew up in the old, terrible orphanges of the past in West Virginia. He never let that stop him from working hard and pulling himself up in the world. Went into the Merchant Marines at 16 and was active in every war from then until 3 tours in Viet Nam and shortly there after retired from the Army as a CW3 in supply. Along the way he had 11 children and for the most part we are all productive, healthy and happy :). He was good enough to shoot his age many times in golf before passing at age 72. If he would not have had all us kids I am sure he could have been a golf pro and would have had the mentality and makeup of Lee Trevino. I never saw my Dad lose any golf match. The thing is he would always win by a stroke or two so as to have the hapless loser think he could win the next time....lol While working in Saudi Arabia for 10 years after his retirement he even won the Riyad Open Golf Tournament. He used to crack me up telling me all the stories about SA....especially the ones of how the Arabs valued their camels more than their women :)

Just wanted to come on and thank all that served/serve and protect our silly asses from harm around the world and have afforded us the freedom to live our lives the way we do.

We all miss you Dad and are thinking about you today!

· "The" masheenist
5,381 Posts
Although it has been some time,

Godspeed to your pops.

We just don't seem to make many like that anymore.

Brian

· Premium Member
7,846 Posts
Nice tribute!!!! Sorry to hear about your pops. It's difficult thing to go through but looks as though you have good memories.
My pops passed eight years ago and I still miss him. Today would have been my mom & pops 61 anniversary. They were married on the 4th!!!

· Pug Wrangler
95 Posts
Very nice, and you should be proud of your heritage. They say the only way to truly pay our parents back for what they give us is to live life in a way that would make them proud whether they are around or not.

Hope you are doing this as you remember him.

· Hotboat Member
83 Posts
very nice tribute to your "pops".. Tom sounds like a great guy, I always tell my wife that I at least better have a flag on my casket or I'lll be pissed I looked for you later after Bobaloo's deal but you were gone, it was nice to meet you too.

· Red Blooded American
15,874 Posts
As a direct result of your father, my father (rip) and so many others who sacrificed so much to maintain the freedom and liberties we enjoy today, I live the most blessed life ever. Thank you for such a fitting tribute! I'll be forever indebted to such men.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.