Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Willow Valley / Palmdale
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see they are flooding the Grand Canyon again.

My self and 3 bodies all chipped in and bought a place south of Bythe in 1983. It flooded that summer and we lost it. Old man Gillmore charged us $200 per year space rent for a mobil next to the water. I could not believe it. The hole community of "Gilmore's Camp" just disapeared. There was much damage in Parker etc. Any of you old timers remember?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Oh yeah. Stood on the dam and watched the water go over the spillways for the first time in the history of Lake Mead. Mother nature and the dept of Army Engineers caused your grief

·
HELL OF A GUY
3,137 Posts
it did alot of damage down by bard,winterhaven,washed out a campground by laguna dam on the way to sentors wash

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
I see they are flooding the Grand Canyon again.

My self and 3 bodies all chipped in and bought a place south of Bythe in 1983. It flooded that summer and we lost it. Old man Gillmore charged us $200 per year space rent for a mobil next to the water. I could not believe it. The hole community of "Gilmore's Camp" just disapeared. There was much damage in Parker etc. Any of you old timers remember?
I remember it very well. :) Even have some pictures of Parker flooded somewhere.

RD

·
Willow Valley / Palmdale
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah. Stood on the dam and watched the water go over the spillways for the first time in the history of Lake Mead. Mother nature and the dept of Army Engineers caused your grief
There is a show that was on KCET called the Cadillac Desert that showed the water cresting 6 inches above the dam at Lake Powell. The Army Corp of Engineers had mounted ply wood on top of the dam to hold the water back. It was unreal. The water crested onto the ply wood for few hours.

They were letting max water out of Hoover and still a 4 ft wall of water was going over the emergancy spillway for 2 weeks. It has never done that before. I have pics but non are digital. I have another friend who lost his place all the way to Mexico. Never got anything out of it by Insurance money.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I can remember seeing the gates open on Parker, unreal. I also have pictures but they are not digital.

Andy

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
There is a show that was on KCET called the Cadillac Desert that showed the water cresting 6 inches above the dam at Lake Powell. The Army Corp of Engineers had mounted ply wood on top of the dam to hold the water back. It was unreal. The water crested onto the ply wood for few hours.

Bureau of Reclamation actually, they really dodged a bullet! I’ve got a video showing the event. Water started going over the spillways (one on each side) for the first time. The spillways dumped into bypass tunnels on either side of the dam. These tunnels sloped down steeply through the native sandstone in the canyon walls, and then shot out into the river below the dam. The water was traveling about 120 mph as it hit the bend near the bottom of the tunnel. After awhile, the water started looking reddish, the same color as the native sandstone. The Bureau realized they had a problem, shut off the flow, installed the flashboards and went inside the tubes to take a look.

Cavitation was the culprit, the concrete lining of the tunnels eroded away exposing the native bed rock. Huge holes were found at the bend of the tunnel, big enough to drop a house in.

The Bureau’s lab in Denver went to work on a solution, adding an “air slot” to entrain air bubbles in the water eliminating the problem. Quite a construction project. As a Civil engineer specializing in Water Resources and Flood Control, this is one of the more “interesting” problems I’ve run across.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
This thing beat the crap out of northern Baja also, and a lot damage still has not been repaired....

They are still using train bridges for car and truck travel....:D

·
huh?
104 Posts
Bureau of Reclamation actually, they really dodged a bullet! I’ve got a video showing the event. Water started going over the spillways (one on each side) for the first time. The spillways dumped into bypass tunnels on either side of the dam. These tunnels sloped down steeply through the native sandstone in the canyon walls, and then shot out into the river below the dam. The water was traveling about 120 mph as it hit the bend near the bottom of the tunnel. After awhile, the water started looking reddish, the same color as the native sandstone. The Bureau realized they had a problem, shut off the flow, installed the flashboards and went inside the tubes to take a look.

Cavitation was the culprit, the concrete lining of the tunnels eroded away exposing the native bed rock. Huge holes were found at the bend of the tunnel, big enough to drop a house in.

The Bureau’s lab in Denver went to work on a solution, adding an “air slot” to entrain air bubbles in the water eliminating the problem. Quite a construction project. As a Civil engineer specializing in Water Resources and Flood Control, this is one of the more “interesting” problems I’ve run across.

There's a photo of the damage to one of the diversion tunnels here: http://www.earthscape.org/p2/hp/hp_sum99/hp_sum99a.html

Every time I see a photo of those tunnels I'm amazed at much water must have been running through them to do that much damage.

Rob

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,414 Posts

where can we get this viddeo?...I would love to see any pics or video of this

·
Registered
86 Posts
I remember it foundly since I can see the dam from my kitchen window at Moonridge Marina (about a mile South of the dam). I was a kid but was right there filling sandbags with my family and friends.......have many a pictures at the river house

·
....like warm apple pie
1,681 Posts
That EarthScape article is insane! I can't imagine the dam rumbling like that! I woulda ran for the hills on that one!!!!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts

They were letting max water out of Hoover and still a 4 ft wall of water was going over the emergancy spillway for 2 weeks. It has never done that before. I have pics but non are digital. I have another friend who lost his place all the way to Mexico. Never got anything out of it by Insurance money.
That's a great program. Years back I got to interview Floyd Dominy in a water-related lawsuit. He was old as the hills, but sharp as a whistle. Lived on a nice piece of Vermont land too.

------------

Post up some pics - I love this kind of stuff
(does anybody else's wife start whispering "nerd alert, nerd alert" when you get excited over dam and water issues?)

·
....like warm apple pie
1,681 Posts
Post up some pics - I love this kind of stuff
(does anybody else's wife start whispering "nerd alert, nerd alert" when you get excited over dam and water issues?)
My wife used to until her dad started working for MWD at the Iron Mountain Pump Station. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts