Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At the end of 9 laps, water temp was 280 degrees. Vanes intact and block flows water freely. The shaft of the pump turns roughly/grainy.... Are the bearings replaceable or do I need a new pump :confused:

Anyone know where I can get new bearings?

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Most pumps have replaceable bearings and I would certainly think the River Rat pump would.
I don't have one, but they seem to be a good pump and desired by many.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Yes, the bearings are replaceable. I may be wrong, but I believe Mike Kuhl can still rebuild yours, or point you in the right direction, should you not feel comfortable with it. I still have an old one in the garage ( circa 1979 ). I had been using it sandwiched between my timing cover and a Hilborn Injection fuel pump. While doing a service on the fuel system, I noticed that the fuel pump turned a bit rough. The culprit was water leaking from the water pump to the backside of the injection pump. The River Rat pump needed a servicing along with new seals , but since I don't really need a water pump because it's a "drag-only" hydro, and gets pressure rammed water while going forward off the rudder tip, I just put the fuel pump extension back in place.
I am telling this long story because anyone changing the impeller or bearings should go ahead and change the seals ( or O-rings ) while they're at it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I took the bearings out of mine to a machine shop in town and they had them in stock, the bearings are R10-2rs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
WHERE I AM IDAHO
925 Posts
Replace the o ring seals too with viton ones and use a good grease like amsoil or lucas not moly

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank You all! I've been told that I should get a bigger pump with my blown motor.....Is that necessary and is there a bigger/better pump out there???

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Thank You all! I've been told that I should get a bigger pump with my blown motor.....Is that necessary and is there a bigger/better pump out there???

Magnaflow makes two sizes of their pumps. One is 3/4 inch and the other is a 1 inch.
I don't know that their pump is better, as both are good. The 1 inch pump probably pumps more.

A consideration to make would be is there a restriction with the system you currently have or is the water pick-up not efficient.
I've seen different set-ups, but what I'm referring too, is the water pick-up efficient. Mine has a tube that hangs down slightly and has a 45* bevel acting as a scoop.
I've seen some that were cut off flush or straight across. The other consideration would be the inlet or the outlet hoses being small. If the hoses are old, could they be collapsed or contain sharp bends restricting the flow.

I know some boats don't run a pump at all, and just force feed the water. That's OK as long as you maintain good speed, but slow speeds suck.

Just tossing out thoughts, but good luck.

·
Registered
136 Posts
A lot of blower motors don't even have pumps and are force fed, more of a drag application but still. I have the river rat pump on my blower motor and it flows more than enough water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
WHERE I AM IDAHO
925 Posts
if you are stacking the pumps the only bigger water pump to stack I think is the water dog from alkydiggers it is quite a bit bigger
I bought one but never used it but it has 1" in and 3/4" out uses a mercruiser vane

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
if you are stacking the pumps the only bigger water pump to stack I think is the water dog from alkydiggers it is quite a bit bigger
I bought one but never used it but it has 1" in and 3/4" out uses a mercruiser vane
When I mentioned the 3/4" and 1" Magniflow pumps, I was referring to the impeller width of each and not the inlet or outlet size.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes...I have flushed all lines and the block. My machinist friend confirmed both sets of bearings are shot.....and they were "made in China." He is rebuilding it with USA steel! It worked fine for 3 yrs......hate to toss a good pump! Will try this first and keep a close eye on my temp gauge......:captain:

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Yes...I have flushed all lines and the block. My machinist friend confirmed both sets of bearings are shot.....and they were "made in China." He is rebuilding it with USA steel! It worked fine for 3 yrs......hate to toss a good pump! Will try this first and keep a close eye on my temp gauge......:captain:

If you decided to toss that ol' junky, no good worthless pump, let me know.
I'll find a place for it and help you get rid of it.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Hey Deckman, how come you are posting this while I'm here healing up from my hospital stay, and with no computer? LOL Glad that you got the new bearings. Did you get the new seals along with the bearings? Please change them too! I don't want to have to tow you in.:no::no:

Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts