Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, long time reader
I recently had my BBC rebuilt from an issue with a rocker spinning off, pushrod tearing up cam and dropping debris down to lower. So, just rebuilt top to bottom, bored .090 over, balanced and stroked. I have a hydraulic medium cam, everything is new minus heads (Eldebrock) intake and carb and rockers 1.7 TRE. Mechanic thinks the rocker was never locked down and basically came off in an over rev :angry:.

New motor sound extremely good:happy: My question is, I have TRE 1.7 roller rockers, the same that was on the when I lost the one causing the rebuild. after cam break in, at 2600-2900 RPM you can hear a pretty loud chatter. If you push on to 4000 it gets louder. Same valve covers as before, However this is an Eliminator with a closed hatch and very sound deadening other then thru hull exhaust. So, Im not sure the rockers made the same noise as they do now, I have heard them at idle hatch open, slight clacking sound but thats at 900 RPM. Am I over-thinking this?My Mechanic seems to think its this brand of Rockers. He suggested stainless Roller Rockers. I spent a lot of money on the rebuild, not so excited to buy unneeded items. They do sound very much like a sewing machine, much louder than my full roller mustang, but then again its a punched and stroked 454 not a SBF. Any input would be fabulous!

1989 Eliminator Sport 21' Jet
454 BBC .090 over, balanced 1 hour on complete rebuild
Berkley Jet

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
By any chance doing the rebuild did you run a thinner valve cover gasket and the end rockers are hitting the covers?

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
First post, long time reader
I recently had my BBC rebuilt from an issue with a rocker spinning off, pushrod tearing up cam and dropping debris down to lower. So, just rebuilt top to bottom, bored .090 over, balanced and stroked. I have a hydraulic medium cam, everything is new minus heads (Eldebrock) intake and carb and rockers 1.7 TRE. Mechanic thinks the rocker was never locked down and basically came off in an over rev :angry:.

New motor sound extremely good:happy: My question is, I have TRE 1.7 roller rockers, the same that was on the when I lost the one causing the rebuild. after cam break in, at 2600-2900 RPM you can hear a pretty loud chatter. If you push on to 4000 it gets louder. Same valve covers as before, However this is an Eliminator with a closed hatch and very sound deadening other then thru hull exhaust. So, Im not sure the rockers made the same noise as they do now, I have heard them at idle hatch open, slight clacking sound but thats at 900 RPM. Am I over-thinking this?My Mechanic seems to think its this brand of Rockers. He suggested stainless Roller Rockers. I spent a lot of money on the rebuild, not so excited to buy unneeded items. They do sound very much like a sewing machine, much louder than my full roller mustang, but then again its a punched and stroked 454 not a SBF. Any input would be fabulous!

1989 Eliminator Sport 21' Jet
454 BBC .090 over, balanced 1 hour on complete rebuild
Berkley Jet
who did the cam breakin ? & probably a dumb question but have you rechecked your valve adjustment? also what takes place with your oil pressure reading during this "run up" to 4K ? , what oil type ?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
One hour run time so far??
Either the cam is headed south, or the lifters are up to the job of the new cam and springs. Wouldn't be the first time a cam company sold a cam with lifters that weren't up to the job for the springs the cam needed. Lunati and Comp seem to be famous for that. Maybe because they are one in the same company.:)eh:)

I'd be looking at the valve lash and see how loose the rockers are.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
noises of rockers

Thanks for the replies! I will try and give more info here. Exhaust has no metal flappers. Valve covers have the eldelbrock rubber gaskets, same ones I had previously.

As for 1hr run time, thats purely an estimate. Mechanic and I did the break in and then he pulled covers to check valves. There is no indication the rockers are hitting the covers the best we can tell (No marks on VC or rockers). I'm assuming there would be an indication of contact.

TRE does or did make BBC 1.7 as I called them and I still have the box from previous owners head work and other goodies he had installed on my boat.

it was bored over .090 skat crank was balanced as well as the connecting rods. I was told it is a "Stroker motor" not that makes any difference with the valve train noise I hear. Ive talked to four different mechanics, 3 say the sewing machine noise is norm and one says roller rockers dont make noise!

Oil is 20-50 VR1 with Lucas additive for the zinc
The Cam is an Eldelbrock Marine, not a Comp Cam or the likes.

The motor sounds wonderful and a bit ferocious, just makes me nervous with the chattering noise.
Cam is hydraulic, I will pull the VC's again and verify compliance and check rockers.
Oil pressure runs right arounmd 50 PSI and climbs to 65 PSI at 4K temp never passed 175F. Any other input is welcome, thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts