Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

When I last mounted my rockwell joint there was an 1/8" gap between the flywheel and the joint. This gap was caused by the crank extending out beyond the flywheel. (Olds 455) I ran it with the washers in the picture and it seemed ok, but I don't like it. Is there something I am missing here? Should I have a spacer sandwiched in between?

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts

When I last mounted my rockwell joint there was an 1/8" gap between the flywheel and the joint. This gap was caused by the crank extending out beyond the flywheel. (Olds 455) I ran it with the washers in the picture and it seemed ok, but I don't like it. Is there something I am missing here? Should I have a spacer sandwiched in between?

That "Rocky" has a crank locator and is for a "heavy flywheel" you need a Rockwell with a machined register that will allow the pto flange to register over the small protrusion of the crank 99% of Olds applications were produced with flywheels (not flex plates) you could also knock the center "plug out" and have the face of the D/L flange machined (recesssed) for this . you could also fabricate a spacer to take up the difference (sort of like the prior "washer" fix) IF the engine is standard balance one of the simplest fixes would be to loose the flex plate and pickup a flywheel Call if we can help Tom

heres some web site info I hope you'll find usefull :
http://www.jetboatperformance.com/index.php?p=drivelineeducation

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Tom is rite on the fixes u can do to solve ur prob...there is a spacer that someone makes for a flex plate that will make up for the thickness of the washers ur now useing...i have seen them, but dont remember who or where makes it...its sorta like a stiffner for the plate, about 1/4" thick...u might try Summitt, Jegs or Chevy, Ford, Olds, Chry etc parts dept...just my .02 cents...good luck :)

FastRat

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
They used to offer PTO spacers, for use when switching to flex plates, from fly wheels. I have a spacer for a BBC, it's about 3/16 - 1/4" thick, sitting on the shelf.

I think it's available from REX pn 242 207 Chevy Flexplate spacer

·
NW Spectraholic
588 Posts
I made a spacer out of an old crank flange and it has been working fine. I never really noticed any difference going to the flexplate tho, the Olds has so much torque it revs up just as quick with the heavy flywheel. :D

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
It's an easy way to shed 40 LBS. and it won't come back :))THumbsUp

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
there ya go pilot 940...3 fixes...Tom, Sleek & Malcom...prob solved!...i knew they made a spacer/stiffner :)...way to go guys :)

FastRat

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just found this if you still need it !
just what the doctor ordered :D
Thanks everyone for all your help appreciate it!!

Tom,
Go ahead and send that spacer with my energizer kit for my jacuzzi, just add it to my total.
Thanks,
Corey B.
Any questions give me a call!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts