Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I would share photos of the effort to (re)build the motor that is going in the Cole TR-6.
We are aiming to have this deal completed in time for some NJBA action this spring/summer.








 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next step will be to fit the pistons to the wrist pins and rods.
(should have this done hopefully this week)
Then I will cut the rings and assemble them to the pistons.
Hope to have photos of the completed "short block" by the end of next weekend.

Stay tuned...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,134 Posts
That looks really good Mike, glad to see you stuff is getting back together. I have one thing for you to ponder though, you might want to give consideration. My K.B. looks very similar to your Rodeck including the stamped in torque values. As you did, I assembled it with ARP assembly lube on the main studs. For some reason afterwards I decided to call K.B. and ask them about it. They said those torque values were based on assembly with 30wt motor oil, and not assembly lube, and that it would be in my best interest to clean off the assembly lube, and retorque using motor oil. You may want to look into it, the friction between the two would be different, as well as the clamping force applied. Maybe it's not enough to worry about, I don't know, but if you were to redo it, now would be the time. Good Luck, Todd~;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
They said those torque values were based on assembly with 30wt motor oil, and not assembly lube, and that it would be in my best interest to clean off the assembly lube, and retorque using motor oil. Todd~;)
Todd,

That is 30wt oil that can be seen in some of the photos. We have always used 30wt for this particular block.
This is not the first build for this block. This is probably the 10th or 15th time this particular engine/block has been torn-down and/or re-assembled.

I forgot to take pictures of the installation of the crank gear. We made a sweet threaded-rod installation sleeve that makes installing the gear simple as can be. (I will take a photo next week and post it as well)

Thanks,

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,535 Posts
That block, in and of itself, is a thing of beauty. Very nice setup.


Darrell.
 

·
Distinguished Member
Joined
·
5,780 Posts
Good talking to you Mike. And I keep hearing how my motor is overkill. Yours defintely falls into the "Huntin jackrabbits with a Howitzer" catagory. Can't wait to see it all together. I've always liked your boat and know it works well too!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We want to see rods and pistons dammit, whats the hold up!!!:|err
Todd,

This past Saturday, I had to take it all apart again. The big ends of the rods did not clear the new sleeves. So I disassembled the crank and camshaft and ground the bottoms of the sleeves for clearance. Took the block down to the local carwash and thoroughly cleaned with hot, soapy water. Came back home and re-installed the cam and crank. So, long story short, as it sits right now, it looks the same as original photos posted a week ago. Should get more work done next weekend. I will definitely post more photos as soon as there is more progress.

Thanks,

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,134 Posts
It's REALLY refreshing seeing something going together with top shelf parts. Nice stuff Mike! Your gonna need it going up against the black Mopar powered hydro!!!:D
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top