Performance Boats Forum banner
21 - 40 of 118 Posts
Sweet...I look forward to seeing this baby come together. :)

Thanks for posting.

Sleeper CP :D

Thanks William. Your boat is looking killer, still. Any reports on your latest goal?
I am looking to get back this project rolling again in the next couple of weeks.

How soon are you planning to make some baseline runs in your deal?

Of course I like BAE 557's boat, we have similar hulls and in the Mach 1 world that's a pretty big deal at least to me, so I thought I would "copy" his, just a little, in the pump's looks department. I swapped out a 4 degree wedge and a Berkeley droop snoot for a Rooster Booster and a spacer. We will see how well it works for me...

Depending upon what intake you have and what angle it was set, you may need to run a wedge to get the thrust line exiting the diverter straight while having a total of 2.5 degrees up in relation to the keel as a baseline.

I'm going to need to get an angle finder and look into that a little deeper. Thanks.
Go to harbor freight and get a digital level which is programable to set to 0* to your keel without having to level the boat and do math. They are cheap and should be accurate enough for this application.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Today I put on a 6" steering hub/extension, moved the seats back 6", and moved the gas pedal back 8 1/2". I didn't think it could be but it's actually comfortable now.

I had to install the steering hub twice. I didn't see a key for the steering hub when I took it apart. So I went to a friends house and got a hub key from him, put the boat together, and found a hub key laying on the floor. Took the hub off and there was a hub key in there too. :D That's why it's dark outside in the last pic.

There was also a stereo on the floor, no speakers anywhere, so I removed it finaly.

Attachments

That thing is coming together. You bought that boat from one of my buddies. It wasn't the fastest on the river, but one of the fastest out of my group of friends. Glad to hear you moved the seat back. Hopefully you can lower it somehow too. That boat has the worst leg room ever. Sitting down your knees would be well above the deck. Last time it was out I remember some issues with the hydraulics on the diverter, but it also had a huge rooster tail. Those headers also look a lot better than the Bassetts that were on there. Good luck with the project and keep us updated with pics.
Khoi

Discussion starter · #31 ·
That thing is coming together. You bought that boat from one of my buddies. It wasn't the fastest on the river, but one of the fastest out of my group of friends. Glad to hear you moved the seat back. Hopefully you can lower it somehow too. That boat has the worst leg room ever. Sitting down your knees would be well above the deck. Last time it was out I remember some issues with the hydraulics on the diverter, but it also had a huge rooster tail. Those headers also look a lot better than the Bassetts that were on there. Good luck with the project and keep us updated with pics.
Khoi
Thanks for chiming on. Yea, the knee's are still well above the deck. :D But it's a lot more comfortable. I think the previous owner told me it did 72 on the GPS before the engine went :)st when he had it.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Looking good hotrod ! I need to get one of those extentions for my project too.
Thanks Propless.

It's kind of funny, last year I never worked on the hull. I guess I'm kind of making it "miine" now.

I got a little bit done to it today. I replaced the forward reverse cable, that shielding on it was cracked pretty bad. When the control used to be in the forward position it used to stick straight up in the air and it was always jammed into your calf. So I adjusted the new cable so when it was in forward it was just far enough away from the dash to be comfortable. It gave me even more room. I just can't believe how comfortable this boat feels to me in the hot seat. :) I made a little bracket and used a cruise control cable clamp (been saving it since the 80's :p ) to keep the cable up. The cable used to literaly ride on the driveshaft. I also redirected the cable behind the gas tank instead of in front of it right in the middle of the floor where it used to be. I ran into an odd problem though. The control used to slide in and out of the gunwhale ( :D J/K Gunnel) (green arrow in the pic). It looked like it is missing a piece or something. So I used a aluminum large nut (blue arrow) (it fits very good) to take up the slack in the control's side to side movement. If you have a better solution please chime in.

In this hull's pump pod the threaded hole at the pump for the engine's water inlet has a nice AN fitting and SS braided hose. At the other end of the same hose is a partial AN fitting, the SS braided hose was jammed over the partial AN fitting, and it had a hose clamp holding it together. So I decided that probably wasn't a good idea, especially since it was before the inlet's valve. I used the correct size complete AN fitting I had on the shelf so I replaced the AFU parts.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #34 ·
The second pic, the one that look's like the leftovers of my last Monday's praying session to the porcelin Gods, is actually the wiring that's in the back of the boat. You'd think that since I've been doing automotive, marine, and RV wiring and electrical troubleshooting since 1981 that I could make the wiring look better than it is. I'll get to it. My friend Brian is riding my azz about it every time we talk so it'll have to get done just to shut him up. :D

I think I want to change the engine's water dump line to SS braided hose also. I noticed the rubber hose in it now has a moderate bend that it has to do and it's slightly kinking the hose.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #35 · (Edited)
I now have every part needed for my engine (carbed) with the exception of push rods and parts related to the valve train that I won't know what I need until the engine is partially assembled and clearences can be checked. I'm trading some parts for a pair of heads with a friend of mine and he's lagging on the heads, I'm not sure how that's going to pan out. I wish I had the coin to set up and plumb my MFI but not yet (or the coin to buy some nice heads too).

Discussion starter · #36 · (Edited)
I loosely fitted one of the headers to the engine and soon realized that the plastic battery box wasn't going to last very long next to the dry headers.

I spent a day and a half on my off time making this battery mount. I also had to flex the hull a bit just to get the battery in there.

The battery box problem cured.

On the other side of the boat is another battery box that hold the hydraulic Place Diverter pump. I just turned that box and moved it back, it's currently held in place with a bungie cord. :D
The engine that was in this boat last didn't have a flywheel cover and I just didn't like the look of it. It also had a (guessing) 20 contact terminal strip with wires that were way too long and just kind of bundled up and zip tied. So I bought a flywheel cover off of eBay and spent more than 5 hours sanding it and then another hour polishing it. I had a spare "stock" terminal strip and used that after I polished it.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #37 ·
I got the mo fo to run tonight! Very exciting sh!t. :D

I still got some work to do before it goes on the lake Sunday, it's a birthday present to myself. :D A few carb issue's still. I am not a carb guy. Anyway, I'm stoked that it's running and just wanted to share some blury pictures and the news. :)devil

Attachments

HOLY CRAP ROD, THAT THING IS LOOKIN BITCHIN :|err

What heads are those? And where'd yah get the trick tunnel ram? I never woulda thunk you had it in yah :D

Looks great, keep up the good work :)bulb

NICE! Trust me Rod, once you're on the water, it'll make all the headaches go away and you'll see just how worth it this venture was. Looks good man.

Skip

21 - 40 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.