Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1985 Advantage 20' Classic. It's tough to find any info on these hulls and until this Advantage came up for sale I had never seen a 20 Advantage using the Rogers mold. I'm looking for any and all info on this hull. History, performance, setups. Thanks in advance! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438093540.927254.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438093559.695804.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438093598.513060.jpg

·
Registered
955 Posts
Im an Advantage dealer in las Vegas and have a 20.5 in my show room right now they are a great boat classic looks. Harry Christiansen from Advantage boats use to work for Roger Wieman way back when. Advantage still has the 18 foot bubble deck mold and I do believe they have the 20 foot cruiser mold as well from Rogers.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Check with Debbie or Bob, I believe they only have the 18' mold.
Roger pulled the 20' mold back in the late 80's.
The Advantage 20.5 Classic is a Tahiti splash.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
they laid up an 18' for tom Peterson late last year. completely rigged by tom. kornowski seats. boat runs well over 100 with 2 people aboard. beautiful piece...

·
Registered
851 Posts
Im an Advantage dealer in las Vegas and have a 20.5 in my show room right now they are a great boat classic looks. Harry Christiansen from Advantage boats use to work for Roger Wieman way back when. Advantage still has the 18 foot bubble deck mold and I do believe they have the 20 foot cruiser mold as well from Rogers.
Harry never worked for Roger way back when or anytime for that matter. He was an asphalt guy before getting into the fiberglass biz with his "Fiberglass Concepts" business. Bill Scotten, California Performance, worked for Roger Weiman and raced for him.

When Roger sold some of his molds to Harry in the early 80's, I was still working for Roger and I loaded the molds on Harrys trailer, the 20'4" Bonneville molds went to Advantage, but there was an agreement with the molds and I'll be damned if I can remember the details, they were none of my business after all. We still had the OB mold and they had the jet or vice versa. I built them both at Rogers and Advantage, it all kinda blurs together. At Advantage the 20'4" was not that big a seller (by the time I got there in '87) we had moved on to bigger molds and that's what the buyer wanted.

The 20.5 (Tahiti) outsold the 20'4" (Rogers) by probably 20 to one when I was at Advantage.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On my SCJB thread you mentioned having one of these. What kind of HP were you running? How was your pump setup? What MPH did you get out of your 20'4?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info OldRigger!! I always love hearing the history on these jet boats. The 20'4" Bonneville Classic has such clean lines, I can't believe it wasn't a big seller back then.

Any info about the handling, setup, and performance of the boat is appreciated.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thanks for the info OldRigger!! I always love hearing the history on these jet boats. The 20'4" Bonneville Classic has such clean lines, I can't believe it wasn't a big seller back then.

Any info about the handling, setup, and performance of the boat is appreciated.
It was a big seller for Roger, but you can't compare the number between the 2 shops. Roger built them one at a time and the parts sat in the mold for at least a week. Advantage was a production shop. They may have even sold more of the 20'4"s than Roger did in the long run but compared to how many 18 bubbles and the 20.5 (and all the other models we had back then) it's not even close. Those other models outsold this one at Advantage. People liked the freeboard of the 20.5 AND it's one of the all time great looking hulls ever tooled up.

Throw in the fact that you had one of the best gel coaters on the planet squirting for Harry, it was a great time to be building boats. Pringle was/is an amazing talent, I don't know if he's still there, but all the boats coming out of the Advantage doors were works of art when it came to the gel coat. He invented, along with Jim Sullivan, how to do blends, fades insanely thin crisp pin lines all in the mold. Pretty common stuff today but it was amazing stuff to see being popped from the molds for the first time. His tape lines were flawless.

On the other hand it was also the era of pinks and pastel colors and all that shit. There was a certain amount one up-man-ship going on between shops. Made me glad I'm color blind.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Old rigger do you mean fades like this? My 87 advantage. Sorry don't mean to thread jack.
Yes, if that's the original gel. Those 2 guys started doing that together at Kona boats back in the day, long before your boat was made, but still it was very tough to figure out how to do it in the mold. On a car (or boat) Larry Watson figured it out back in the 60s. Watson by the way shared a building with Howard Brown in a little shop on Lakewood blvd when Howard first fired up his deal. Later, Watson was right down the street from my house.

·
Registered
851 Posts
One more useless fact. That 'Advantage Boats' painted on the gunale of your boat was done by another legend in the pin striping world (like Watson) Kim Dedic. He would come by once week, Thursdays I think, and add that to all the boats leaving that Friday. It was a nice custom touch. CF numbers would be added too if we had the paperwork done.

In the 1980's Kim hosted the Rat Fink reunion in his shop in Fullerton, it was a gathering of all the legendary pin stripers. Ed Roth and even Von Dutch would go! That get-together has morphed into a giant event hosted at Moon in Santa Fe Springs or Irwindale raceway every year.

·
Registered
744 Posts
On my SCJB thread you mentioned having one of these. What kind of HP were you running? How was your pump setup? What MPH did you get out of your 20'4?
It hasn't been wet yet. I'm working on it as time and money will allow.
It's for my daughter and son in law.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Old Rigger

It was a big seller for Roger, but you can't compare the number between the 2 shops. Roger built them one at a time and the parts sat in the mold for at least a week. Advantage was a production shop. They may have even sold more of the 20'4"s than Roger did in the long run but compared to how many 18 bubbles and the 20.5 (and all the other models we had back then) it's not even close. Those other models outsold this one at Advantage. People liked the freeboard of the 20.5 AND it's one of the all time great looking hulls ever tooled up.

Throw in the fact that you had one of the best gel coaters on the planet squirting for Harry, it was a great time to be building boats. Pringle was/is an amazing talent, I don't know if he's still there, but all the boats coming out of the Advantage doors were works of art when it came to the gel coat. He invented, along with Jim Sullivan, how to do blends, fades insanely thin crisp pin lines all in the mold. Pretty common stuff today but it was amazing stuff to see being popped from the molds for the first time. His tape lines were flawless.

On the other hand it was also the era of pinks and pastel colors and all that shit. There was a certain amount one up-man-ship going on between shops. Made me glad I'm color blind.
If I'm not mistaken my neighbor has the 20.4 mold along with 3 other molds his name is Fred not sure of his last name but I will find out. They are sitting in a yard here in Corona doing nothing. I' ve tried to get him to build one but he won't budge not sure what he want to do with them.

·
Registered
851 Posts
If I'm not mistaken my neighbor has the 20.4 mold along with 3 other molds his name is Fred not sure of his last name but I will find out. They are sitting in a yard here in Corona doing nothing. I' ve tried to get him to build one but he won't budge not sure what he want to do with them.
Hey Greg, I heard that the molds were in a dirt lot somewhere but I've heard 2 different locations, in 2 different counties and to show how rumors go around, I heard that you owned them now and were going to start pulling some parts! lol If anyone could do them justice, it'd be you so I'm bummed that's not the case.

I would kinda like to have that VIP mold, or at least see someone put it to use, it's the only new model that was introduced at Rogers during the years I was there. Roger bought them from Stu, I can never remember his last name but he was a gelcoater and he was the owner of the original Conquest boats way back in the day. ( I remembered he tooled up a tunnel hull, kind of a low freeboard deal about 22 feet long and was trying to sell the mold for it when I was at Warlock when they were out in Corona, jesus what a drive that was. He was trying to market a little deck boat thing)
That VIP mold was in a lot across the street from Nicks shop when they were still on Arrow Hwy when we picked them up. Cool boat, just a Spectra bottom but I liked the deck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts