Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Old Timer
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an Enduro race, would a Roller camshaft get better mileage than a flat tappet cam? Reason I ask that is, one racer ran a BBC in last year's Parker 300 and said that he used just over a gallon a lap, which I thought was kind of a stretch for a 5 mile lap, but anyway, he ran a small block with flat tappet cam this year and even a 2 barrell and used 3 gallons a lap. Is a roller that much more efficient?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
In an Enduro race, would a Roller camshaft get better mileage than a flat tappet cam? Reason I ask that is, one racer ran a BBC in last year's Parker 300 and said that he used just over a gallon a lap, which I thought was kind of a stretch for a 5 mile lap, but anyway, he ran a small block with flat tappet cam this year and even a 2 barrell and used 3 gallons a lap. Is a roller that much more efficient?

No F'n way a roller cam BBC will get better mileage than a SBC with a 2 barrel, camshaft types aside...unless maybe one of those 366 Big blocks against a 450+ cube small block, but there won't be that much spread. Was the small block running alchohol?

·
Members only
4,518 Posts
Lee my 522 injected motor burns about .93 gal a minute at 5500 rpm. At 5000 rpm it comes down to .90. Running 3 min & 25 sec a lap at 85 mph & appox 5300 rpm.

I had it calculated by an injection shop up north based on nozzels, bypass pill, rpm etc...

By the way it has a roller.:)

·
Just another Wannabe
1,204 Posts
There are a few things that I have learned in life.
First- if a guy tells you his height, he is NEVER lying to stretch the truth.
If a boat is on eBay, it surely runs the MPH that was stated in the ad.
The guy that tells you the mileage his diesel dually is getting, he is not fudging even a little.
I would definitely take his word for it rather than have him prove his statements truth. A roller is way more efficient. But if that would show even a minute amount in fuel economy, I would be surprised.

Less RPM's, less fuel. The leaner you run, the less fuel. Doesn't matter if it is a 1 barrel or 8 webbers. Lean is lean and fat is fat. The more air through the engine, the more fuel it takes to make the perfect burn ratio. No secret there.
My little SBC is about the most fuel efficient boat I have ever met. With lots of full throttle stuff and water skiing and the like, we may get 3mpg.

·
Speedy Member
6,785 Posts
There are a few things that I have learned in life.
First- if a guy tells you his height, he is NEVER lying to stretch the truth.
If a boat is on eBay, it surely runs the MPH that was stated in the ad.
The guy that tells you the mileage his diesel dually is getting, he is not fudging even a little.
I would definitely take his word for it rather than have him prove his statements truth. A roller is way more efficient. But if that would show even a minute amount in fuel economy, I would be surprised.

Less RPM's, less fuel. The leaner you run, the less fuel. Doesn't matter if it is a 1 barrel or 8 webbers. Lean is lean and fat is fat. The more air through the engine, the more fuel it takes to make the perfect burn ratio. No secret there.
My little SBC is about the most fuel efficient boat I have ever met. With lots of full throttle stuff and water skiing and the like, we may get 3mpg.
You guys are all haters!!

My 540 K motor gets 5gpm!! Take it to the bank .

·
Old Timer
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The BBC motor was a 493 old school stroker with a single dominator and a pair of Brodix heads. He ran a full heat at Bakersfield and he asked me to to fill it back up. It didn't much fuel at all. With an SS motor, I will take 4 gallons at Long Beach. I just thought maybe this meant a roller motor was more efficient. I know in an Enduro, he doesn't run a hard as a sprint race, and uses a different gear. Just an observation.

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would run a flat tappet cam these days.

I have made a vow to NEVER install one in an engine again. In the grand scheme whats an extra $500-600 over the cost of a flat tappet cam/lifters to convert and run a roller?

Why risk an engine?

·
Old Timer
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would run a flat tappet cam these days.

I have made a vow to NEVER install one in an engine again. In the grand scheme whats an extra $500-600 over the cost of a flat tappet cam/lifters to convert and run a roller?

Why risk an engine?
APBA Super Stock Class Requirements.

·
Registered
643 Posts

Why risk an engine?
We run a flat tappett cam in the Enduro motor, because that eliminates the chance of breaking a roller and getting all those pesky needle bearings in the motor. Simple is good for endurance racing.:)bulb

·
Old Timer
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We run a flat tappett cam in the Enduro motor, because that eliminates the chance of breaking a roller and getting all those pesky needle bearings in the motor. Simple is good for endurance racing.:)bulb
I agree ... but back to the original though, what if the mileage is way better. How many gallons do you use a lap?

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
I just cant imagine a flat tappet cam being more durable in any circumstance. Do you run sled rockers too?

·
Old Timer
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 27 Posts