steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Courtesy Mark Mclaughlin

1780742_10203159875667134_1500136937_n.jpg

·
Registered
640 Posts
NHRA body latches, all the concussion in the drivers compartment....Bad idea. Seen how he was incapacitated after the explosion?

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
NHRA body latches, all the concussion in the drivers compartment....Bad idea. Seen how he was incapacitated after the explosion?
Really??? You think it's that simple? This doesn't seem near as bad as Johnny Gray's explosion...which has prompted more changes in latching and tethering.
Maybe you should read this and get an idea of what they're dealing with and how involved the problem is before you throw out a criticism like that.
NHRA, RACERS DISCUSS TETHERING OPT-OUT SITUATION
Ron was definitely stunned and shaken up, but he didn't look incapacitated by any means and he had a clear field of view unlike Gray in his incident. Also, body panels didn't go flying into the crowd which is the fine line they're trying to balance. I'd say it looked like they implemented some new ideas that seemed to work fairly well given the circumstances. I'm sure NHRA will be looking at this very closely for further analysis of the problems they're trying to deal with.

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
I wonder how much that cost.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Did you see his in car camera? Had his hands off the wheel all the way thru shutdown. Barely able to get out the car and spread shrapnel all over both lanes. Yes bad idea. Tether the body to the car but don't lock it at the firewall and front bumper
and his was a mild by some explosion

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Force was on a mission this weekend. Hope it continues the rest of the season. Really like Matt Hagan also, his day will come !!!!

Capps blowup rattled his head, not sure he knew where he was for a sec or 2. The safety these guys have put into these funny cars over the years is top notch !!!!!!

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
He never reached for a brake after the concussion. I believe he was rattled to badly to perform his spontaneous routines as he, and others have done so many times. The in-car camera confirmed his eyes were functioning but they weren't looking at things that mattered. He got rattled as good as I can remember.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts