Performance Boats Forum banner

Rookie Question about Head Gasket

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  wsm9808 
#1 ·
I am not sure if I have the correct head gaskets for my BBC. The block is 3999289, Mortec says 71-79 2 Bolt 454. I have Fel-Pro gaskets 1037 and it says for blocks with 3 lower coolant holes in the block. Problem is mine only has 1 coolant hole. Are these OK to use or does anyone know the correct ones I need? I am trying to get the motor together and get on the water soon.

See less See more
#5 ·
I would be more worried that the water hole on the gasket, doesn't really match up to the lower water hole on the block. I'd look for another set.
(having a hole in the gasket where there is none on the block should not matter, if that makes sense.)

Darrell.

#6 ·
I am not sure if I have the correct head gaskets for my BBC. The block is 3999289, Mortec says 71-79 2 Bolt 454. I have Fel-Pro gaskets 1037 and it says for blocks with 3 lower coolant holes in the block. Problem is mine only has 1 coolant hole. Are these OK to use or does anyone know the correct ones I need? I am trying to get the motor together and get on the water soon.

I have seen blocks with and without the lower holes in them. I have been told they are not a problem not being there. I think it was an upgrage done by the factory for cooling...(I may have been miss-informed). I would be more concerned with the rear upper water passage being blocked off.

#7 ·
Fel Pro:
Pre-flatten steel wire
Iron or Aluminum Heads
Suitable for Marine Applications
Fit Mark 4 pass. and HP Blocks
Pre-71 blocks may require modification
Fits Gen 5 block
Fits Gen 6 Block
One coolant hole per end
Three lower coolant holes
Minimal Brinelling of alum. heads
4.370" bore .039 CT

This is out of the Fel-Pro catalog. That gasket is what I supply customers with 4.250" bore builds.

#10 · (Edited)
You should drill the lower holes with a 1/2 inch drill bit. The old style blocks and gaskets did not have the lower holes. The "new and improved" gaskets have a smaller water hole for the rear water port on the gasket and use the extra lower holes for improved and more even cooling. Look at the water port below the dowel pin at the rear of the block deck, there are two holes. The original gasket had 2 holes just like the block, the new gasket only has one hole to restrict rear flow and devert more water through the lower holes.

The gasket will work fine, it is for your engine, but you need to drill the lower holes when using that gasket on your block.

There has always been a note in the gasket package explaining the holes and telling you to drill the block.

YOU DID READ THE INSTUCTIONS, RIGHT ?:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.