Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started tearing into my daycruiser and tonight i discovered the wood in the transom is completely rotted away. My question is can or should this be fixed. Should I just scrap it and count my loses or try to find another hull? The bad thing is I have the complete interior done and ready to go in and the motor is already sitting in it too.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Post some pictures of it. Is it the wood that is attatched to the transome that all the wiring and stuff is screwed too? If so, you should be able to CAREFULLY get it out of there and make a new piece out of ply that you have resined and then glassed in.

Pictures would help a lot to get a good answer and not a semi educated guess.

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
I have started tearing into my daycruiser and tonight i discovered the wood in the transom is completely rotted away. My question is can or should this be fixed. Should I just scrap it and count my loses or try to find another hull? The bad thing is I have the complete interior done and ready to go in and the motor is already sitting in it too.
naw, no need to scrap it. The wood in the transom really doesn't do much unless the transom glass is really thin. Just tear it out and replace it with a size piece you can get to fit, meaning you don't even have to have a piece the same size.
If the pump is out, it's a pretty simple project.

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
Here are a few pics of the areas i was poking around.
add a couple of hours for clean up, that's gonna be a messy one. Since it's so bad, you now know that it doesn't have too much structural purpose. You didn't even know it was rotten until you started poking around ;)
With it being that bad, it's been that way for years.

·
Registered
408 Posts
remember to resine and glass it so you wont have the same problem again for a long time. I am doing something close to what you are doing . New floor, and i got a little rot in my transom board.

·
Inland Empire-Big River
807 Posts
You may want to PM toddnjuzz - Todd at TRG Fiberglass. I'm sure he can help and offer some sane advice. You may not know what your in for. The pics look pretty bad/messy but it is definately repairable. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
How thick is the glass? If its atleast quarter inch Id just leave the wood out. Unless you have stuff mounted there...You could always through bolt...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today I will tear the rotten wood out and see where I am. I'm pretty handy and think I can pull this off. Do you guys think I should pull the pump? The wood all around the pump feels soild.

·
Cajun Member
1,436 Posts
If you don't take your pump out,I would atleast mask it off (and anything else that is finished) before tear out and reglassing transom.Your transom issue can definately be repaired.:)devil

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
FIX IT ................ walk in the park , we can talk you right thru it :)devil

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, I Live in oregon and would be quite a haul. Today I started tearing out the rot and finished pulling all the hardware mounted to the transom. Looks like a job I should be able to pull off. The fiberglass is in pretty good shape and is pretty thick. This will give me the reason to change a few things anddo some more updating.

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
Thanks, I Live in oregon and would be quite a haul. Today I started tearing out the rot and finished pulling all the hardware mounted to the transom. Looks like a job I should be able to pull off. The fiberglass is in pretty good shape and is pretty thick. This will give me the reason to change a few things anddo some more updating.
atta boy!! It really isn't all that tough once you get over the "Holy Crap!!" phase ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts