Performance Boats Forum banner

Rough start to the weekend...

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  cvxjet 
#1 ·
Got a reasonably early start out to Big River last Friday, then had a blowout on the trailer about a mile past Chiriaco Summit. Strapped up the axle and limped into Blythe, got a new tire and finally into Parker at about midnight, only took about 8 hours. New tires and a spare before the next trip!
The weekend went well after that this is a pic heading back to the ramp late Sunday.

Sorry about the upside down, I saw it when I previewed and couldn't fix it, so I rotated it on my computer and uploaded again thinking that would fix it, but not.
Typing on this forum can be challenging too!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
The sun...

The beautiful weather we all love during boating season is NOT your tires friend... The sun ruins tires on a day to day basis. I've had indoor storage (garaged) trailer tires last 7 years, and I changed them "just because"... On the other hand, a year in the Az outdoor Az sun will destroy a new tire waaaay before it's time... Put that tire on a red hot highway and delamination is almost a sure thing.... In the old days it was just a rubber "flapper" slapping against your stuff. Today it a deadly weapon of steel belts doing the flapping and blowing your fenders off before you can get it stopped.. AND, always carry at least one spare and the tools to jack and change a flat. (Your truck/suv jack and tools likely won't help on your trailer)
Ray

#6 · (Edited)
8 hours....That's what it took me to replace the burned up bearings on my trailer coming home from Trinity lake.....I was cruising along thinking, "Shower, steak, warm bed" as I passed thru Arbuckle when a truck pulled along side and layed on the horn, pointing backwards- before I looked in the mirror I thought, "There goes the steak and shower!"

There were NO rollers left in the carriers! I stopped just past the on ramp from Arbuckle, and had to drive 6 miles to the next exit and circle back each time I went into Arbuckle; 1) get new bearings in wheel, 2) get a chisel to try to get inner race off, 3) get guy to drive out with torch to remove race, and , as I was screwing the nut on, as he drove away, found ONE thread that was jacked, so 4) back to borrow a file, then 2 hours before I started rolling as the sun went down at 8pm. Each time a semi went by I got to chase the rags down the freeway.....I actually made up a few new french words!

To add insult-to-injury, just before the trip, I had been looking for a spare tire carrier in the Overtons catalog, and had seen one that also had a spare hub....."Why the hell would you need that?!":)sphss

#10 ·
I had a Marathon go out back in may on the way back from the Delta....My gf had a cell and AAA which made a big difference...Got a new tire put on, then checked with the guys here and the basic consensus was Maxxis tires so new with aluminum wheels(Black Rock-Made in Usa, whereever that country is...) and the first one is a spare; have a bearing kit also, and carry tools, always.

Every time I go out I check the pressure, and every other time I jack up the trailer and spin-test the bearings....I also feel the hub for excess heat at the ramp and when I get home. What we need is a pressure/temp sensor with a readout in the vehicle...I'd rather pull off at an exit early rather than stop on the highway and try to contend with a smoked tire/bearing. My Van has tire pressure readouts, so why not a stand-alone system for trailer tire/bearings?

#11 ·
They are out there...

I had a Marathon go out back in may on the way back from the Delta....My gf had a cell and AAA which made a big difference...Got a new tire put on, then checked with the guys here and the basic consensus was Maxxis tires so new with aluminum wheels(Black Rock-Made in Usa, whereever that country is...) and the first one is a spare; have a bearing kit also, and carry tools, always.

Every time I go out I check the pressure, and every other time I jack up the trailer and spin-test the bearings....I also feel the hub for excess heat at the ramp and when I get home. What we need is a pressure/temp sensor with a readout in the vehicle...I'd rather pull off at an exit early rather than stop on the highway and try to contend with a smoked tire/bearing. My Van has tire pressure readouts, so why not a stand-alone system for trailer tire/bearings?[/QUOTE]

Do some checking, there are kits that do a remote monitor for the trailer tire pressures. If a hub is getting hot it will usually raise the air pressure as well from the heat. The monitor may not say "bearing failure" by it will alert you to the idea something isn't right....
Ray

#12 ·
I went looking after I posted last night, and found a number of them, but one has temp sensing also; TST 507; I found it for $150 on a magazine site(2011), but when I went looking at Amazon, etc, it was $300+.....Have to do more research.

Both times(Bearing and tire failure) I had been paying attention, then got distracted right at the MOMENT when things started to go wrong....Maybe instead of a warning chime or buzzer, they should make an optional miny taser attachment!:grin:

That oughta get my attention...!

#14 ·
the Tire went out this year, but the bearing went out in 2006; Normally I let the bearing/brake cool for a few miles before backing into the water, but at Trinity in 2006, I parked in the shade to prep, then drove down to the end of the ramp on dirt/gravel- I also hadn't repacked 'em for a couple of years.....I am learning.....slowly.......:bangmyhead::knockout:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.