Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rumor has it you can trim alum. plate with a router and a carbide bit. Are these bit just wood bits/tips????? Or are they special made for metal bits? I'm tired of filing and am lookin to clean this up a little.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Forget it. To make it come out nice you would have to make several jigs each one to remove a little more than before because you could only take off a small amount at a time.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well... I think I could clamp a straight edge for the router to follow on the side that's straight(that's the one I jigsawed), the bottom round hole is from the factory, ....I guess I'll have to file the sides. Thanks for the help.lol

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
I think I could clamp a straight edge for the router to follow on the side that's straight
I didnt use a router but thats what i did with a jig saw to cut straight lines. I trimed my motor plates to fit and they came out great. One thing i found, a continueis spray of wd40 makes the cut alot cleaner and makes the blades cut alot longer. I just bought a few cans and had a buddy sit there and spray the blade while i was cutting. i would assume it would help even if you where using a router.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
The carbide bits will work fine. If you take off just little at a time, you can use a straight edge like you said, or even make some patterns. A router spins a little on the fast side, so you need to be careful and not take too much at a time. WD works well and if you do a little experimenting, you should get the hang of it.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Go for it. Trim it up with a jigsaw. Make a jig out of plywood to the shape you want to finish off the cut. Then final cut with a 2 flute carbide plunge bit following the jig. If you try to to do this freehand you will be sorry:D

A 1/2" 2 flute plunge bit that's at least 2.5" long will work fine. If you want just want to clean up the edge on that circular area then use a dremel with the round mini drum attachment. A belt sander works great to clean up the flat edges.

Good luck.

Did you ever try to make the pump brace?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. Are we talkin just a "wood" router bit? I'll have to go look, a flute plunge bit huh? Anyone have a pic of 1? If not I'll find one. My router does have different speeds, sounds like I may want to turn her down a little. Re the brace Cave, if I can't find any plate cheaper than what I was quoted, I'll just buy 1 from Duane. Re the hole it's about the right size I'm just lookin to de-uglify it a little.lol

·
Registered
546 Posts
try an aluminum coarse tooth burr grinder also some call them christmas trees. these in an air tool will cut the crap out of the aluminum. the regular burrs will gum up if not continually lubed, but the alum burr will remore a lot of stock, a lot slower but i have used them in a drill for small fillet work. also if space permits you might try a course wood rasp similar to a bondo rasp it will also shave the aluminum very fast. had a set of mounts plasma cut at a metal shop and they looked like a dog ate them out. took the rasp a filed them down pretty easily.

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Aw crap. I forgot to send you a picture! Yep, a straight carbide bit, some WD40 and a straightedge works really well.
Also, I'll snap a pick of the roundoff bit I used that gives a really nice rounded edge as well.
Piece of cake.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've found Bees-wax (McFadden-Dale sells it) to work better than WD-40. Lasts longer and doesn't require a 2nd person.

If it were me, I'd make a wood (MDF) copy of the plate you have now, using a flush cut bit and some double sided tape. Then modify the wood to be exactly what you want (sands easier, and is 5 bucks if you screw it up vs 75), and when you are happy, use the same technique to modify the aluminum.

It's actually pretty easy, just do use a router table and dont be in a rush.

Oh yeah, and wear long sleeves, eye and ear protection, The bits of metal are F-ing hot!!!

·
Banned
742 Posts
High speed aluminum machining, CRISCO yes! CRISCO the white thick stuff. (not the oil) Use a brush and watch out for 'spray' when hot.

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Here's some stuff from my old project thread.

Hope it helps....

"Okay guys, for you guttons for punishment here you go.....(I'm taking a break and havin a cold one before I pester Tommy or that punk azz kid of his for tech advice..)

Figgr'd since I needed to trim the plates a bit I'd try to make a poorboy millin machine (i.e. router and straightedge)

Picked up a 3/8" carbide router bit

My straight edge and some WD40

Are you shittin me, this actually may work!!!

Pop's old router he left me when he passed was not up to the portamill idea

Off to Homedepot and picked up this badazz mofo

Like butter......this thing is making me look like I may actually know what I'm doin (though we all know better)

Due to the design of my 10qt oil pan the plate lightly touch a portion of the pan. To keep from vibration potentially rubbing a hole in the pan from the plate, I decided to fire up the Portamill one more time.

Bitchin!!!!! Works regoddamndiculasly well

And here is the Round-over bit that I used to give it a nice rounded edge. Chuck it up so the bearing rides right in the center of the metal and run it around and then flip it over and do the other side. This was the easiest part and gave it a really nice finished look.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100058393

Good luck, go slow and have fun (and pay attention to everyones safety advice here as well).....

Please let me know if you have any questions.........john

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Too, cool thanks Jrork. Did you do that last round cut freehand or did you make some kind of a jig??(the half round one)
That's the beauty of the Round-Over bit. That little shiny peice is a tiny roller bearing. Set the depth so that the bearing rides about the middle of the thickness of the aluminum and have at it. The bearing rides along the edge at the depth you set and you're there. Just run that little bearing along the edge and it takes exactly what you want off and no more.

For the little bit that you need to do I'm guessing that to do the Round-Over bit will take you 1 minute tops to finish off that hole. You'll be amazed how easy it is.

The other bit where you are actually cutting takes more time as the folks here have mentioned, setup and limiting the bite is everything but I did both plates and my pump mount with this approach and couldnt be happier.

Good luck.......john

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
High speed aluminum machining, CRISCO yes! CRISCO the white thick stuff. (not the oil) Use a brush and watch out for 'spray' when hot.
Crisco George??? I'm not so sure I woulda admitted to that one...

Nah, thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try....take care

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Go for it. Trim it up with a jigsaw. Make a jig out of plywood to the shape you want to finish off the cut. Then final cut with a 2 flute carbide plunge bit following the jig. If you try to to do this freehand you will be sorry:D

A 1/2" 2 flute plunge bit that's at least 2.5" long will work fine. If you want just want to clean up the edge on that circular area then use a dremel with the round mini drum attachment. A belt sander works great to clean up the flat edges.

Good luck.

Did you ever try to make the pump brace?
Real Good info Cave!! M

1 - 20 of 35 Posts