Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I gess what iam saying the water lines come in the boat t valve to the block off the thermastat 1 line will go to another t valve that goes to headers the other line goes out the boat

·
Registered
582 Posts
I gess what iam saying the water lines come in the boat t valve to the block off the thermastat 1 line will go to another t valve that goes to headers the other line goes out the boat
After research, I changed my plumbing from the setup you have now because of excessive pressure inside the motor. I think many guys on here will probably tell you that the way you have it now is the way Basset says it should be done, but it creates problems in alot of boats. Check out the link Tom (JetBoatPerformance) posted, I believe this is your current setup, or check this one.
http://www.performancejet.com/ttjetboatenginecooling.html
There are alot of different possible setups, but I believe that feeding ot headers off the t-stat is not optimum.
I teed off the main line from the pump before the tee to the water pump housing (block entrance) to feed my OT headers. Here is a crude drawing of what I did. the green tee is the basset tee, the red circles are gate valves, besides that I think you can get it, if not pm me and I will help if I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
dont just trust me

Do research of your own, this is not a one answer deal man, there are tons of products out there and people with WAY more knowege than me. I like this setup and I am not trying to down myself, but look around first, then make a choice on who to listen to on what. I was just throwing out there what I did, think of it as what works to make a gullwing handle better is way different than what will make a 18 degree v hull handle better.

·
Pink Taco
215 Posts
After research, I changed my plumbing from the setup you have now because of excessive pressure inside the motor. I think many guys on here will probably tell you that the way you have it now is the way Basset says it should be done, but it creates problems in alot of boats. Check out the link Tom (JetBoatPerformance) posted, I believe this is your current setup, or check this one.
There are alot of different possible setups, but I believe that feeding ot headers off the t-stat is not optimum.
I teed off the main line from the pump before the tee to the water pump housing (block entrance) to feed my OT headers. Here is a crude drawing of what I did. the green tee is the basset tee, the red circles are gate valves, besides that I think you can get it, if not pm me and I will help if I can.
just curious as to why feeding OT headers off t-stat wouldnt be optimum. i know every boat is dif. just like to as much dif input as i can

·
Registered
582 Posts
just curious as to why feeding OT headers off t-stat wouldnt be optimum. i know every boat is dif. just like to as much dif input as i can
These are just my opinion, and although i believe I am right I am not saying anyone who runs the basset tee off the t-stat housing is wrong, it just works better for me, i had to do my right head gasket twice when I was running it off the t- stat and my re-plumb has seemed to solve the problem.
1 you can not run a thermostat, (in order for water to be getting to headres no matter the engine temp) which means your motor will likely never reach running temp. This is probably only a concern for racing guys looking for every mph possible. I still run my motor w/o a thermostat cuz I am afraid of it failing and me or someone else not watching the gauge while I/they am pulling a skier or tuber.
2 when you take one of the lines off the t-stat housing and run it to the headers and the other has a valve on it you create a high pressure situation inside the block (ie water is still coming in from the pump through two 3/4 or 5/8 lines but not being able to exit anywhere except through a possibly half closed valve on one dump line. This causes things like head gaskets, water jackets, and intake gaskets to blow due to high pressure.
it is is like a gunked up radiator or coolant line in a vehicle. In the vehicle you are asking the water pump to fail (leak out weep hole), or force the water someplace it is not supposed to go.
It is explained much better here:

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
glencoe,
Mine is set up the same as yours although the location of the header valce is different. Here's a pic I drew awhile back-

and a picture-

it's worked very well for me over the past couple of years.

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
1 you can not run a thermostat, (in order for water to be getting to headres no matter the engine temp) which means your motor will likely never reach running temp. This is probably only a concern for racing guys looking for every mph possible. I still run my motor w/o a thermostat cuz I am afraid of it failing and me or someone else not watching the gauge while I/they am pulling a skier or tuber.
just to clarify, i have never seen anyone that races a jetboat run a thermostat.
this has been beaten to death numerous times on the forums, but just for a quick redux. this is a "single-pass" cooling system, taking 50-70 degree water from the lake/river, forcing it through the engine then back out to the lake/river. it is NOT a "closed cooling" system, like on a car/truck. the water temp gauge provides an indication that heat is being transferred, and that water is exiting the engine, by indicating outlet WATER TEMP. it is NOT an indication of engine temp.

·
Registered
582 Posts
T stat

We always ran a thermostat on the brown boat, and on my buddies yellow boat too, maybe we were doing it wrong here. If no one uses a t stat why are thermostat by passes in existance? i know no matter what it is not a closed cooling system, like a heat exchanger is.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
If I were smart enough I'd put up a link to hj's plumbing question train wreck, that one was f'n classic. How many pages did that go anyways.lol If you have something that works for ya no reason not to stick with that IMHO.

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
We always ran a thermostat on the brown boat, and on my buddies yellow boat too, maybe we were doing it wrong here. If no one uses a t stat why are thermostat by passes in existance? i know no matter what it is not a closed cooling system, like a heat exchanger is.
if people see 120-130, something must be wrong, so why not make more junk to buy and install??? they can be used, and made to work, but they are not absolutely needed for an average lake jetboat. if you're running in the winter in michigan, -maybe-.
i had a friend that bought a new witchcraft in '73, 425olds/jacuzzi. he ran that thing hundreds of hours every summer. water temp never exceeded 130, and that engne ran every summer for 26 years before a lifter started going away.
lower exit water temp has been proven time and time again to make more power on the dyno, compared to an elevated exit temp.
folks can plumb and do different things. all i'm saying is that it's unneccessary to run a t-stat. it can be done, but it's not necessary.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts