Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
JRPM/e-PerformanceMarine
2,034 Posts
Anybody have a rpm pill for the MSD 6AL around 6500 rpm they want to part with?
I will trade you one for wheel lug lock key !:D
Actually what is your projected max rpm ? I ran a 6K being I was expecting a max of 5700, I took it out and put in a 7K and it woke the thing up big time. Quickness and top end.
Wouldn't that be a "chip".........Pills usually refer to fuel systems.......Ray
Ray is 100% right on this, they are chips !

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will trade you one for wheel lug lock key !:D
Actually what is your projected max rpm ? I ran a 6K being I was expecting a max of 5700, I took it out and put in a 7K and it woke the thing up big time. Quickness and top end.

Ray is 100% right on this, they are chips !
Hmm, could have sworn MSD called them pills, looking at there site they call them modules. Oh well...

You lookin for the wheel lock key for that trailer i sold Ray? I have it if you need it or if you want to get them off, just hammer a socket on them. If you look close i did that once to one of them, forgot the key :) PM me your addy and i'll send it to you.

My target rpm is 5800 off the juice, i think a 6K module is too low and a 7K module is too high... thats all i have.

·
JRPM/e-PerformanceMarine
2,034 Posts
I was just jokin on the lock key, a day or two after Ray showed up with the trailer we were moving it to open storage. I brutilized the locks with a socket. I did not havce the 6500 eather but the 7K was jst fine for the great balance job the lil 429 got down in Avondale at Tuf-Enuf. Timm did a fantastic job. My next BBF will have a Mag and no rev limiter and yes it will be done at Tuf-Enuf again. I really think balance and clearance is the key to revs. The PS89 turns right around 7200rpms, it has a rev kit on the push rods. They had one engine failure in about 22 or so heats, no bad in my book. My CJ72 Sanger likes to fly and was hitting the 7K chip about 10 times a heat.

BTW - The shaft checked out perfect and is in a real tight pump as of today, .009" side clearance and .025" thrust. Thank you !

·
Done....
990 Posts
Shaun-I have what you need. I bought the whole module kit last season. If you'll be at the race this sunday, i'll deliver it to you at the beer garden.:D

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
You should run a minimum of 400 rpm above what you think or know the max rpm is. I was running a 6600 chip and it was hitting the limiter and I was only spinning 6300. Changed out the chip to 7k and it runs so much better on the big end!!!

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
You should run a minimum of 400 rpm above what you think or know the max rpm is. I was running a 6600 chip and it was hitting the limiter and I was only spinning 6300. Changed out the chip to 7k and it runs so much better on the big end!!!

Just my .02
thats good info.. I need to move mine up.. thanks!!

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Just my .02
Kinda what i was thinking. If i'm spinning 5800 i dont want a 6K chip because it's too close to 5800, but i also dont want a 7000 chip because i think tagging the motor at 7K and then loading it back up enough to drop it down to 5800 is alot and probably hard on parts.

I tend to tag the shit out of my rev limiter, i run through alot of chop.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Kinda what i was thinking. If i'm spinning 5800 i dont want a 6K chip because it's too close to 5800, but i also dont want a 7000 chip because i think tagging the motor at 7K and then loading it back up enough to drop it down to 5800 is alot and probably hard on parts.

I tend to tag the shit out of my rev limiter, i run through alot of chop.
i would put a 6600 or so in it. They tend to come in way before you even hit the chip marking rpm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts