Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 21 ft Eliminator with a 460 BBF with a dominator jet with it. Does any one know if 4k on the tach is normal for this motor? The jet is a dominator model # MB-12-SAA. Any input is greatly appreciated.:D thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Maybe a little low. I've been in a hand full of 18 and 21 eliminators bbc and bbf. and 4500 ish is about it. With maybe the exception of my sisters boat came from eliminator with a healthy ls6. I think my nephews 18 bubble with a bbf runs about 53 mph at like 4400 r's. Motor and pump are untouched sience new 1976 I think. All had berk pumps though.

·
Registered
785 Posts
sound like the pump is good and tight.
maybe a modern cam would get you some more rpm's.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For a STOCK 460 that sounds just about right on the money with a good tight pump .

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
about 4400-4500 with a good pump more important what is your speed at 4k rpm?Do you know what impeller you have as well?

Its been a while since i had a jetboat with a 460 or a 429 it

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I got a 21 ft Eliminator with a 460 BBF with a dominator jet with it. Does any one know if 4k on the tach is normal for this motor? The jet is a dominator model # MB-12-SAA. Any input is greatly appreciated.:D thanks in advance.
I had the same set-up in 81-88. 1980 Eliminator 21 cruiser- same Dominator pump and a 460 ford. On the tack 4800 RPM and with a buddy that had a speedo that he said was dead on 66 MPH. I did however go thru the motor and freshen up with a mild cam and alittle more spring pressure. Jetted carb to feed the ol mule. Boat was turn key every day I had it a was the first boat my two kids were ever in. Always told myself I would own another of the same and after getting the race crap out of my system for the second time,now do and I will be passing this boat to my kids. Only difference is this one has one of them there tranys and a hangy down part undernieth. FYI the cleceland motors are very touchy to spring pressure and valve train. I raced a couple. M

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
about 4400-4500 with a good pump more important what is your speed at 4k rpm?Do you know what impeller you have as well?

Its been a while since i had a jetboat with a 460 or a 429 it
I dont know the speed as i dont have a speedo or gps. Im not sure of the impeller either but on the pump it says its an MB-12-SAA. Dont know if this tell you the impeller. Thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For a STOCK 460 that sounds just about right on the money with a good tight pump .
Jet thanks for the input. The motor was built by hardin marine. nly has about 15 hrs on it. Any input on what i can do to get a little more rpms?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I had the same set-up in 81-88. 1980 Eliminator 21 cruiser- same Dominator pump and a 460 ford. On the tack 4800 RPM and with a buddy that had a speedo that he said was dead on 66 MPH. I did however go thru the motor and freshen up with a mild cam and alittle more spring pressure. Jetted carb to feed the ol mule. Boat was turn key every day I had it a was the first boat my two kids were ever in. Always told myself I would own another of the same and after getting the race crap out of my system for the second time,now do and I will be passing this boat to my kids. Only difference is this one has one of them there tranys and a hangy down part undernieth. FYI the cleceland motors are very touchy to spring pressure and valve train. I raced a couple. M
Thanks Ol Guy, its turn key as well I was just wondering if this was normal. I was running a 454 on my old Bahner and it was running 5500 all day long.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Jet thanks for the input. The motor was built by hardin marine. nly has about 15 hrs on it. Any input on what i can do to get a little more rpms?
Thanks again.
Cam, HEI distributor and most likely a bigger carb. How fast do you want it to go?

I just worked on a CVX-20 this weekend and it was an all stock 460 with a little 660 carb, ran 4100rpm with an AA impeller. It should run 55 to 60 mph if he keeps his foot in it. With an A impeller he might get 65ish out of it ???

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cam, HEI distributor and most likely a bigger carb. How fast do you want it to go?

I just worked on a CVX-20 this weekend and it was an all stock 460 with a little 660 carb, ran 4100rpm with an AA impeller. It should run 55 to 60 mph if he keeps his foot in it. With an A impeller he might get 65ish out of it ???
Im gonna have to save some money and git er done! lol I would like to see 60ish or so on this eliminator. Where are you located?

·
Registered
193 Posts
have a 466bbf, thats around 500hp,and a ''A'' impler with a diverter,turns around 5600 to 5800 rpm.but my buddys stock 460 is always 4000 to 4100rpm.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
have a 466bbf, thats around 500hp,and a ''A'' impler with a diverter,turns around 5600 to 5800 rpm.but my buddys stock 460 is always 4000 to 4100rpm.
ok thanks a lot. i guess it is the norm. Time to make it go a little faster. I am used to running BBC's. :)hand

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Theres nothing like a little road trip :)devil
You're right! how long would it take me to get to kansas from Az.

Also, pretty sure you are familiar with jetavator, Is there a "special" way to adjust it. For some reason i cat throw a roost for crap! It doesnt even leave the water:mad:. im thinking about replacing it with a place diverter. Any thoughtys?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts