Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Capped is great looking. Just need to be careful around docks and other boats so as not to rub on them. Thinking of doing mine when I get around to painting it.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
the cost to repair a RR might be pennies to the cost of a cap repair, but if you take as good of car of your boat as your car, maybe you wouldn't be hitting docks???? I dont know, Just throwin' it out there.
everyone I hang out with seems to take better care of their boat rather even their tow vehicles! lol
...and its not that much work!??

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well im not sure what capes is but as for the work i am fillin all the holes but the jet and startin like a brand new hull so how much work is it or will i not know untill the rail is off and then what am i lookin for

·
Registered
193 Posts
It tketakes time to match the seams up,glass,filler,sanding,and then do it again,again,until there all blended.Or install the alum.or rubber rubrail.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
my boat is capped already but has the 1/2" aluminum rub rail, id love to throw the rub rail away but what do you do with the rivet holes. theyre all along the metalflake part of my boat that i doubt is matchable

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
my boat is capped already but has the 1/2" aluminum rub rail, id love to throw the rub rail away but what do you do with the rivet holes. theyre all along the metalflake part of my boat that i doubt is matchable
Pretty tough to ever match or touch up the "flake" I suspect your boat (like mine) was originally produced without rail Tom

·
Upstanding Member
12,715 Posts
Well im not sure what capes is but as for the work i am fillin all the holes but the jet and startin like a brand new hull so how much work is it or will i not know untill the rail is off and then what am i lookin for
Boats are layed up in 2 pieces. The seam is where the boats halfs come together. A cap job (capping) bonds the two halfs eliminating the seam.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Im in the prosses of the stripdown and wondered if i really need them :rolleyes:
I have the same dilema. Capped looks 1000% better. But I am stuck because the original gelcoat is metalic silver with graphics.

Capping would mean a paint job, and I am not ready to give up the gelcoat that is in pretty good shape. At least I can still hit stuff. :)

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
After seein these pic my rail is gone wish me luck
If you need any help along the way, drop me a dime, I may be able to get you out of any predetermined binds along the way!
Its really not that bad, just relax and take your time, it will be worth it when you are looking down the side of it with a cold beer in hand while its on the hook! (Or a diet Pepsi if you are that Vdrive video guy, wich I have rarely trusted anyone who did not drink!:)sphss)
check your pm's
Todd

·
Upstanding Member
12,715 Posts
If you need any help along the way, drop me a dime, I may be able to get you out of any predetermined binds along the way!
Its really not that bad, just relax and take your time, it will be worth it when you are looking down the side of it with a cold beer in hand while its on the hook! (Or a diet Pepsi if you are that Vdrive video guy, wich I have rarely trusted anyone who did not drink!:)sphss)
check your pm's
Todd
WTF? I don't drink that diet shit!!! :|err :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
My boat came with pin striping that the previous owner put on. I peeled some of it off and found a seam. I thought that it might be some sort of separation of the hull from the top. I can make out the holes where the rub rail used to be. So this seam is normal?

·
Registered
230 Posts
When you cap a boat do you just fill the seam with resin or filler, or do you lay some cloth or mat on there too?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts