Performance Boats Forum banner

Running a Auto meter tach off of a Magneto

16K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  capnfyr 
#1 ·
I have a question for the wizards. I have a magneto on my pro stock boat engine with an internal coil. Can I run an electronic type of tachometer (Autometer) off of the mag with the internal coil or do I need a mag with an external coil to make it work? There is only the kill wire coming out of the magneto. Would this wire give me a signal for the tach? :)eh:)
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Paul

#3 ·
Thanks Jocko, I will give them a call.

#4 ·
I checked on the tach adapter and they state that they are for external coil type magnetos. There is a device called a"Tach drive pulse signal generator" that may work off the V drive or off the cable dive off of the magneto.
Thanks for all the help
Paul

#6 ·
Discontinued Autometer mag tach

At one time Autometer sold a 10K tach designed for the Vertex type magnito, and they had a memory... There are still some out there, likely laying on the shelve of someone that went to a more modern type ignition, or an external coil type mag... I know I have an extra one, but sadly, it isn't for sale.... Check an old Jeg's or Summit catalog for the number and then start asking around. And yes, the tach signal comes from the one wire that is also the "kill" wire to ground....

Ray

#7 ·
Ray, thanks for the info on the older type of tach that runs off of the kill wire. I thought that they were around some time ago. I will try and locate the partnumber and put out some feelers to see if someone just happens to have on as you say " sitting on the shelf".

Thanks again

Paul

#9 ·
Ray is right on that AutoMeter tach specifically made for a mag. I had one that went ON/OFF of the shelf for several years as I went thru the boats of my life, lol! Finally, an Australian guy convinced me he REALLY needed it more than me.....so off it went. Wish I had it back now!
Jocko

#10 ·
Thanks for the link John. I will check it out and see if that will work for my application.

Paul

#12 ·
OR
if you have a flying magnet -- you can use an MSD 2348 hall effect sensor on it and generate a tach signal that is completely independent from the magneto. This is what I do because I run a datalogger and it doesnt play nice with the mag.
Heres a little test I did with the hall effect

#13 ·
Way cool!! Now I have a couple of options. :)
Thanks for all the help

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.