Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to run a HIN on a boat legally? I'm looking to have mine run as I'd like to find out how many owners my boat has had before me. I DON'T want any of the prior owners names, addresses or phone numbers. All I want is to know how many owners total my boat has had.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
PHP:
Is it possible to run a HIN on a boat legally? I'm looking to have mine run as I'd like to find out how many owners my boat has had before me. I DON'T want any of the prior owners names, addresses or phone numbers. All I want is to know how many owners total my boat has had.
After actress Rebeccca?? (cant recall her name) , was attacked several years back due to release of her DMV info to a stalker , that Owner information likley requires a written request thru DMV (small charge , takes a few days) for the general public (I have to do this as a dealer as well) Law enforcement can probably check this but is likley precluded from devulging it to gp Tom

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After actress Rebeccca?? (cant recall her name) , was attacked several years back due to release of her DMV info to a stalker , that Owner information likley requires a written request thru DMV (small charge , takes a few days) for the general public (I have to do this as a dealer as well) Law enforcement can probably check this but is likley precluded from devulging it to gp Tom
Schaeffer was her last name. She was killed in '89 by a guy from Arizona who'd been stalking her for years. He paid a PI $250 to get her address thru DMV. The rest is history. The killer now resides in prison in Blythe of all places.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Actually FWIW .... Rebecca Schaeffer's murder and the Teresa Saldana assault case provoked Governor George Deukmejian to sign a law that prohibited the DMV from releasing addresses and inspired the Los Angeles Police Department to create the first Threat Management Team. The California law was passed in 1990 and became effective on the first day of 1991. The law was the first of its kind and later helped to convict Jonathan Norman, who was sentenced to 25 years in prison for attempting to carry out threats against director Steven Spielberg

(credit to ...The Death of Rebecca Schaeffer)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts