Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i just put my boat back together after being down for a year.496 roller motor.So in order to time it and adjust the valves i hooked up the water hose to my boat water line and ran the boat out of the water for probally one minute.I didnt disconnect the driveline because it is super hard to do with my type of housing.But curious if my jet is ok or ????P.s i didnt rev it up or anything just low idle>thanks guys new here 2....:)hand

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
well i just put my boat back together after being down for a year.496 roller motor.So in order to time it and adjust the valves i hooked up the water hose to my boat water line and ran the boat out of the water for probally one minute.I didnt disconnect the driveline because it is super hard to do with my type of housing.But curious if my jet is ok or ????P.s i didnt rev it up or anything just low idle>thanks guys new here 2....:)hand
Not recommended. There are many reasons not to do it but you will more than likely be OK. I always disconnect the drive line. 30-45 minutes of swearing taking it apart and the same putting it back together in my book is better than over a thousand dollars to repair a pump that died because I didn't want to disconnect the u-joints. just my $.02 and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not recommended. There are many reasons not to do it but you will more than likely be OK. I always disconnect the drive line. 30-45 minutes of swearing taking it apart and the same putting it back together in my book is better than over a thousand dollars to repair a pump that died because I didn't want to disconnect the u-joints. just my $.02 and welcome to the forum!
lol thats what i was doing too.and hour of bitching for 4 bolts and 4 beers one for every bolt.If the pump (DIED) how does it act like a chevy with no truck with no fluid in it,lots of slipping?i had jack at mpd built it right before i blew it up>

·
northern member
602 Posts
heh Delemorte , that is freakin hilarious :D but give the guy a break wasn't that long ago you were asking the newbe questions :)

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I'll probably catch some crap for this one but......If I fire mine up for a a bit(under a minute) I just pull the inspection cover and have my kid spray the hose down there. After having rebuilt my jet myself, it seems the impeller doesn't even touch the wear ring. I'll still spray the water down there in case I picked up some road caca. This winter I'm going to try to come up with some type of intake cover to keep crap out of there. Like maybe a cut open inner tube stretched bunk to bunk.

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures of junk that came out of pump after it was towed a couple hundred miles. The pump was freshly rebuilt and had 0 time in the water.

I put a white t-shirt over a bucket, put the bucket under the intake then sprayed water into the nozzle to rinse it out. Needless to say I was pretty surprised at how much crap came out of the new pump. I would imagine that if there was still some standing water in the pump from a lake, there would probably be more crap in there as the water would catch more.
If anyone does run the pump out of water, be sure to rinse it out real well before firing off the engine.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Several years back a closing marine dealer gave me a dozen of these (clearly from back in the day), I had ask my MIL to sew some up a couple dozen out of heavy canvas and will dig for the kits if anyones interested Tom

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I had one from Duane at Hi-Tech Performance that he made, on my daytona trailer

It worked great, kept all that road crap out.:)bulb

·
Registered
37 Posts
Duane at Hi-Tech marine sells the jet a way ratchet. Just pull the handle backward and it disconnects the pump so you can start the engine on the trailer. Also acts as a safety device when shutting down the jetboat from a hard run or if the engine shuts off unexpectantly. I have used them on three jet boats and wouldn't be without one.
Kojac

·
Passin Glass
2,825 Posts

If it was fine before ..it'll be fine now. I run mine through gravel / sand and rocks steady. I just threw a new impeller in this summer and the ring still looked brand new...the impeller...not so much :p . Just shoot some water in their first to flush any crap out.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
heh Delemorte , that is freakin hilarious :D but give the guy a break wasn't that long ago you were asking the newbe questions :)

Brother i still ask some dumb questions. However this topic has been beat to death. Im just suggesting the OP search as there are some long hard discussions about this procedure.

But that was funny right?:D

To help a brother out..

http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=49032&highlight=running+trailer

http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=38056&highlight=running+trailer

http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=36466&highlight=running+trailer

http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=28215&highlight=running+trailer

http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=26252&highlight=running+trailer

http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=15576&highlight=running+trailer

I could go on and probably find where i asked the same dang question.. They should just sticky that question on the top of the forum because undoubtobly when ever someone gets a jet for the first time thats the question they ask them selves. I know i did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts