Performance Boats Forum banner

running V drive out of water

Tags
drive running
5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  VD Cruiser 
#1 ·
just getting eliminator going, have hose setup to run out of water, has turbo 400 trans, so shaft(no prop now) spins in neutral and checked trans operation, heard bad wine sounded like stuffing box. It has a a water dump hose from V drive but on hose no water, is it not a good idea to run out of water ? thanks Rob

#2 ·
Don't worry about the v-drive water while running on the trailer. Usually the v-drive has a seperate thru-hull pickup.....then dumps out thru the log. The noise you are probably hearing is your propshaft turning (dry) in the strut bushings. If you still have a 'Park' position on your shift pattern, use it. Propshaft doesn't spin at all in Park. Jocko

#4 ·
Turning the prop shaft dry, on the trailer can burn up the strut bushing, even severly score the shaft itself. Now, while you're still rigging your boat, would be a good time to disconnect the shaft from the v-drive and remove it to inspect the area where the strut bushing holds onto the prop shaft. Now is the time to replace the strut bushing(s). Some strut bushings are brass with a rubber flutted liner, most performance and ski boat bushings are a one piece fibre bushing. Both will need to be pressed or driven out of the strut barrel to replace, likewise to install. Most all marine suppliers can fix you up with a new bushing

#6 ·
When I run my deal with a turbo 400 out of the water I put it in neutral,( park is blocked out), and hold the shaft by putting a block of wood between the prop blade and the bottom of the boat. Just be sure you don't put it in gear. Without the prop on you could put a strap wrench on the shaft, doesn't take much to hold it.
Are you going to Lake Anna this weekend ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.