Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok can someone explain why a lot of guys are running there outdrives in a manner to give the look of a rooster tail like a jet boat?? and i am not talking about a high hp cat but v-bottom hulls like 25-28 foot single drives?

·
Lord of the Drinks
2,352 Posts
ok can someone explain why a lot of guys are running there outdrives in a manner to give the look of a rooster tail like a jet boat?? and i am not talking about a high hp cat but v-bottom hulls like 25-28 foot single drives?
Unless it's a surface drive, over-trimming will make the prop surface.

A higher x-dimension will surface the prop with less trim- HP has less to do with it.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Your question has a bunch of variables...

My dads Crusader has a 1" raised "X" and throws a mean roost when flat out...The cleaver actually makes a decent spray...Put the spacer in it to zero the raised X and it needs more trim with a round eared prop...

The boat does an honest 72 MPH with a raised X, but only 65 MPH dropped down with a round ear blade...

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Depends on the boat too. Tunnels that normally "pack air" will throw a big tail when running slow and wet as the tail is as high as it will get.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My tunnel throws a huge roost when crusing 50-60 mph neutral trim and the motor jacked up. As soon as you get into it the roost drops to around or just below the hight of the cowel.

Dave

·
Can't re-Member
1,990 Posts
Some people forget they have their Tabs all the way down (from pulling a wake boarder), and trim it way up trying to get some speed before they figure out what the problem is.... Don't ask me how I know :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Its kinda funny sometimes when just at casual cruse 50-60mph, throwing a high roost taking in the sights. Some one pulls up beside you starts trimming up and pulling away, nail the throtle the roost drops down nice and flat and walk away from him like someone yanked his teather.:D

Dave:)hand

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
My tunnel throws a huge roost when crusing 50-60 mph neutral trim and the motor jacked up. As soon as you get into it the roost drops to around or just below the hight of the cowel.

Dave

My boat will basically do the same thing. If just cruising slow I will slightly overtrim to set the boat, and get a bit more air under her. Once the speed starts picking up, no need for the extra trim.... the air alone will pick the boat up.

Darell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts