Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a rusty 454 block I'm trying to dissassemble. The pistons are getting stuck in the cylinders right before the ring pops out of the cylinder. I am not trying to save anything other than the block. The rings might be getting stuck on a ridge. Suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
They make a ridge reaming tool just for that. Not sure if thats the exact name for it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
They make a ridge reaming tool just for that. Not sure if thats the exact name for it.
Flip the block over and use a big hammer your not gonna hurt the block just dont hit the journals on the crank if you are gonna re use it. I usually use a long hammer handle as the punch and just a big hammer to knock the piston out.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
pull the crank and knock em out the bottom.

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
I've got a rusty 454 block I'm trying to dissassemble. The pistons are getting stuck in the cylinders right before the ring pops out of the cylinder. I am not trying to save anything other than the block. The rings might be getting stuck on a ridge. Suggestions? Thanks!
what they said ... pull the crank, get yourself a hammer with a long handle, put it in handle to the bottom of the piston and knock that some bitch out.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Depending on where he is at in the rotation he may not be able to get the crank out of it, if thtis is the case dont f$ck the crank up. it may still be useable and worth alittle cash.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
He said the only thing he wanted was the block. But still, saving the crank shouldn't be a big deal. Faster than ridge reamin' for however long that might take.

"ridge reamin'". God that sounds inappropriate:p

·
Some guy
3,636 Posts
Having done a few of these, I have learned a few tricks. Sounds like yours at least turns over, I have done one or two that were really stuck. There is some stuff called "PB Blaster" that you can get at Walmart, among other places. I have used it to get stuck rings free from pistons as well.

Back to your problem, if you don't have a ridge reamer, you can use sandpaper carefully to remove rust and build up, particularly if you will be boring the block anyway. You should be able to see and stop before you get to bare metal and not do any damage. I use WD 40 and carb cleaner to try and clean it up before resorting to the sanding. As others have said, a hammer handle isn't a bad tool against the rod, or maybe just a chunk of 2 x 2. Don't forget it's going to be hitting the ground if you don't have a way to catch it!

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
The drive to the parts store to rent the ridge reamer will likely take longer than using it will.

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A lot of great replies, thanks a lot. Some of the replies made me laugh my ass off, like "don't let that thing kick your azz".

The crank won't turn and I can't get to all of the rod bolts so right now I'm trying to remove the pistons and rods that I can get to. Maybe after that I will be able to turn the crank.

Basically I wanted to beat the livin sh!t out of it, but I wasn't sure if it would damage the block. I could use the stress relief of beating the sh!t out of it.

The block is going to be bored out either way. The rust isn't so bad that the block isn't savable but it's more than a honing will fix also.

Here's a picture of me and the block as it sits.

:(:( :):)punch :(:( :):)punch

Now I'm going to relieve some stress. :|err

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Wow

Wow, did you know that even if you get the connecting rods nuts off that doesn't mean the rod will clear the block when you're trying to remove it with the crank still in the block?

I've been beating the living sh!t out of my block with a rod, basically.

Even in these pictures the rod will not come out of the block. I can't wait to see what I did to my block. :)coffee

Can I torch the rods without damaging the block from heat?

Attachments

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Why didn't you pop out the crank and take 'em out through the bottom? Seems to me that would've been much easier than tearing up the pistons.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Gawdamn! You really take advice literally.

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why didn't you pop out the crank and take 'em out through the bottom? Seems to me that would've been much easier than tearing up the pistons.
The crank will not turn, I had a strong 260 lb friend get on the crank bolt with a 3 foot cheater bar. You can't get to all of the connecting rod nuts to get the rods off the crank. You can't take the pistons out of the bottom.

If I torch all the rods in half, the crank will come out.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts

The pistons will not come out the bottom even if the crank were removed. There's the minor issue of main webs being in the way.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts