Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
pay me or pay me no mind
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got this in a email and thought id share with the boards...there's two different write ups but are tide to each other down the road...
heres the link to one and the other is below
http://magissues.farmprogress.com/CLF/CF07Jul09/clf008.pdf

Peripheral canal drilling could start next month (1:02 p.m.)
By The Record
July 15, 2009
SACRAMENTO — State water officials plan to drill into channel bottoms at 16 locations throughout the Delta as they explore possible intake sites for a peripheral canal.
The drilling could begin as soon as next month.
The California Department of Water Resources said it needs data about channel soils to help plan where a canal would begin, as well as tunnels for various proposed alignments.
The state has been surveying private lands for some time, a Water Resources spokesman said today, but this stage of the project requires notification and a public comment period,which ends July 26.

The work is part of a massive environmental review for the Bay Delta Conservation Plan, an effort to improve the state’s water supply while also restoring Delta habitat. The canal is a key part of that plan, though foes say it will destroy, not restore, the estuary.

Officials said they expect in the coming weeks to release details about how a canal could be operated while still allowing some fresh water to flow into and through the Delta. Canal opponents have long insisted that the state should not be pushing forward with a canal when questions about how it would operate have not been answered.

The drilling is expected to take place from barges or boats anchored in various rivers, including the Sacramento , Mokelumne and San Joaquin . Much of the drilling will take place on the Sacramento River between Walnut Grove and Freeport , roughly the area in which a proposed canal would divert the water before shipping it to large export pumps near Tracy...in other words UPSTREAM from the entire DELTA!!!! The sweet water coming down from Sacramento would be diverted to LA before it ever sees even Walnut Grove!!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I live in SoCal and I think its bullshit that this is even been considered. This needs to be stopped and the only way to do it is for everyone to unite. PB'ers, pleasure boaters, fisherman, and even the scourge of the water...the PWC'ers. There is a website www.millionboatfloat.org that has addressed this issue. Please take the time to research this. I dont know how this could possibly HELP the Delta.....

·
pay me or pay me no mind
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im not the sharpest tool in the shed but i just dont understand why they send so much down there, when they get just all most as much rain/snow water as we do...why not find a way to harness and store for there needs in that area??

·
Registered
392 Posts
So Cal rain does nothing for our water storage down here, it all ends up in the ocean. The powers that be set up the drainage system years ago and the LA river and the Santa Ana river send it all into the ocean.

The MWD steals your water and sells it to us.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I read in the paper a couple of weeks ago that due to the drought conditions we have here in No Ca, that the canal is now sinking in places due to an aquafir that runs underneath the canal and is now drying up. Gonna cost MILLIONS to fix the problem. I wonder who gets to foot the bill for this.

·
Positive Vibration
426 Posts
The way Trinity and Shasta are going down, and probably others, there won't be any water to send down south. Trinity is watering the rice fields at 8-12" a day and the planned drawdown for Trinity this year is 318' and Shasta is 198' That's an all time low for both lakes and I'm sure Oroville is right along with them. Clear Lake will be next most likely.. This makes no sense. Has anyone ever heard of desalinization?? The Ocean is right friggin there!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.