Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone in the sac area make a harness from scratch???

im looking to buy about 25 ft of 7 wires insulated harness... know where to get it locally??

possibly some help getting this thing done.. ill make it worth your while lol..

I wanna try to get it done in a day, ive got a fresh motor sitting in the boat ready for breakin and the wiring just wont work properly... I need to start fresh on this.

let me know!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did my Miller from scratch last year. Wasn't a big deal. Where in Sacramento are you located?

Off of northgate and hwy 80... natomas area pretty much.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What motor and what other stuff are you running that needs to be wired.

olds 455 and complete set of gauges...

tach, water temp, oil press, fuel and voltage.

i dont have one of the distribution blocks on the bellhousing just wired direct harness to motor... The harness has been so hacked its hard to make sense of.. lol

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
That's how my Miller was too so I tore everything out and started from scratch. I think it's easier if you add the block and a 30 amp breaker there and then run everything up front from there.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's how my Miller was too so I tore everything out and started from scratch. I think it's easier if you add the block and a 30 amp breaker there and then run everything up front from there.

last nite i couldnt find any hot wires under the dash.... so i ran a direct wire from the bat to my tester then crawled under the dash..

what i found is there are no hot wires running to the switch. the only hot wire i found was ran to the voltage gauge then jumped to the other gauges.

When i switch my tester to the + terminal i found all the "HOT" wires on the switch were actually -

Its almost as if the + was used to ground the system.. very weird.

Where did you get the block and breaker?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not trying to but in but if you guys make up two I would be interested. Mine works but it is OLD and been spiced a couple of times by others I can take photos of the Dist. block and what ever else if you need any of that.
Please just let me know if I can help. I am in the Redding area so a little far away. but we can take pictures and send via email.
thanks Jim aka Wilseya

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Th eOlds engine and the Chevy should wire up the same. So should the starters and Distributor. So wiring shouldn't be a big deal.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
But they are made by Hardin Marine and so generic that you end up with enough wire to do several boats, just using the wrong color code. That's why I decided to make my own. I think that's what was in my Miller and it was a mess.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Matt, I did both of my boats with that harness. You know where to find me:)hand
tim what harness u speaking of? im just getting a 8 wire trailer loom and junction boxnd following a simple diagram i found on here. i may need sum assisnce if ur up to smash a ice cold 3o pack with me haha

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Fleet, what size wire would you say is being used for the gauges, lighting, etc. I know the mail power and ground to the dash, I ran #10 since it also supplied the starting circuit. I'm thinking #16 would be enough for everything else. The wire I took out of my boat< I'll bet, was #18.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
WOW #12's. That's some massive wiring for some low currant flows. On a truck trailer I think they go that high due to the number of lights that are being operated.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I guess it would. You'd never pull a load enough to burn up that wiring. If you did, you would have a serious problem. :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts