Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of the aluminum side gunnel tanks and would like to hear some thoughts on how to anchor them in the boat. I have the front anchor point prety much figured out. I need suggestions on how to attach the back. There are no brackets on the back (transom end). They were originally glassed with a strip of mat along th bottom edge tank to hull and attached at the front end with a bent angle thu bolted to the gunnel support. The glass is not an option.
Here is a pic of the tanks I have. Thanks.....Hal

Attachments

·
Renegade jet
472 Posts
You could bolt a bow eye type bolt on each side on the outside (double as transom tiedown anchor point )and set them up so the bolts just clear the tanks on the inside and bolt angle aluminum to them to hold the tanks in.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Geez hal, those things look awesome. I think I would bolt them on the outside so everyone would see them. I am thinking that some acomodations may have to be made like a stud or 2 welded to the back of the tank to bolt to something that you can glass to the floor.

·
Boss of the McIntyre Mob
1,981 Posts
What about welding a tab on the rear of the tank and screwing it to the transum?

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
I need a solution for the same issue. Right now the front is held in place by the filler neck hose. I have a load lock spanning the width of the hull between the back of the two tanks. Not very pretty but it serves the purpose. By looking at the other work you have done, I'm sure you will come up with a functional solution that will look fantastic.

I keep thinking a piece of aluminum angle will do the trick but I just haven't figured out how to do it yet.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My boat has a spot glassed in to hold the front of the tank, my tanks have a bracket on the front edge and back edge with a single bolt hole in it. Whoever had the boat before me just bent some flatbar and drilled some holes and bolted it all together to the glassed in brace with 2 bolts sticking out of it at the front of the tank. However they didn't bolt the back to anything! The previous owner got the boat this way, and his solution was to put some 2x4's from the stringer to the edge of the tank at the back to hold the tank in place (even more ghetto than the flatbar bracket!) but I think I am going to do it a little less ghetto and bend some more flat bar and make a bracket for the back edge of the tank to attach to the transom tiedown bolts that stick through the transom. There is plenty of thread left and it's only about 4" from the tank bracket already so no biggie. BUT:

I am getting my tanks "soda blasted" this is blasting with Baking Soda rather than Sand, I am lucky I have a friend who has a brand new $30K soda blaster machine and a huge pallet of baking soda and I am getting my tanks done ultra cheap, plus I am getting a whole other boat soda blasted as well!) But anyway, if they look really nice like your tanks do when done, I may glass in some new mounts to the hull to properly secure the tanks to the hull, and then carpet around the tanks to show them off if they look nice. I saw your rebuild thread and where you did those tanks like that they came out really nice, I would be wanting to show them off, so I think you should glass in some proper mounting for the tanks into the hull since you already did all that glass work, and show off the tanks.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Hal, this should have been considered back on page 1 or 2 of your restore thread. :) I hate to think of all that work now having to be dinged up to mount tanks. You might be able to build a wedge type mount that braces the tank in place at two points from the stringers up.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Shimp .I do intend on the tanks being seen. The rear half of the tank in the engine area will be exposed . And I am mounting the cocktail seats so that they can be removed and only run the two front seats when ever I feel the need for speed.

Greg ,I have been pondering this for a very long time. Fiberglass was never going to be an option. If I have to I will just bite the bullet and have a bracket welded on the rear to bolt to the transom.
I had thought about useing a piece of angle bolted with the transom eye bolts,the only problen is they would not be locked down from vertical movement with all the bouncing around a boat does.
I am thinking a welded tab is going to be the best way to go......Hal

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Hal, Maybe you can bolt to the transom and then have the back seat(s) have a wedge or mouting spot for a front tab on the tank to bolt to. I'm not sure how your seating is going to be arranged.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The front of the tanks already have an angle welded to the tank ,that bolts to the gunnel suport. It is the rear end the will need a fastener...H

·
Just Me
4,050 Posts
If you have the 1/4" clearance at the transom, I'd make a bracket out of aluminum angle that goes up the side and over the top of the tank. Then weld a tab on it to bolt it to the transom. This way the tank goes in first and this bracket just anchors it in place. The bracket could then be polished or anodized however you want. You need a bracket that is worthy of those pretty tanks.

EDIT: Don't forget to put some type of welting between the two metals if you do this. Wouldn't want the tanks to rub a hole in themselve's or do that ugly metal transfer crap.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you have the 1/4" clearance at the transom, I'd make a bracket out of aluminum angle that goes up the side and over the top of the tank. Then weld a tab on it to bolt it to the transom. This way the tank goes in first and this bracket just anchors it in place. The bracket could then be polished or anodized however you want. You need a bracket that is worthy of those pretty tanks.

EDIT: Don't forget to put some type of welting between the two metals if you do this. Wouldn't want the tanks to rub a hole in themselve's or do that ugly metal transfer crap.

That's not a bad idea. I have the same dillema with my tanks but mine luckily already have a mounting tab welded onto the back of them.

I thought about glassing in (since the carpet and interior is currently out of my boat) some sort of new mounts for the rear of my tanks but as I tested putting the tank in and out of the boat, there really is no clearance for anything in the way in order to get the tank back in the boat and hooked up to the filler cap, so I just decided to make a bracket and got to the transom. If it looks bad I might make a cover to go over it or something, some way to hide it.

Question for Hal, those tanks looks really really skinny, what is the bottom and top depths of those tanks? Mine don't seem to be as long as yours and mine are deeper, I thought they were all "about" the same....

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, the intent is that at least half of the tank will be exposed to dress up the engine compartment. The entire tank will be seen if I ever only run two seats.... Hal

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You could bolt a bow eye type bolt on each side on the outside (double as transom tiedown anchor point )and set them up so the bolts just clear the tanks on the inside and bolt angle aluminum to them to hold the tanks in.
I had actually thought of that ,but I can not bring myself to drill holes in the transom after all the work of filling all the holes.
I was just planning on strapping down the rear at the pump...Hal

1 - 20 of 22 Posts