Performance Boats Forum banner

Safety Discussion Continuation Thread

7K views 101 replies 52 participants last post by  Factory1 
#1 ·
If there is one thing you can bet on is that my boat will not leave the trailer until my new lifeline Jacket arrives. I have been going to the lake for 27 years and always said that I just couldnt afford a race jacket. even worse I have taken other people for a pass and could only offer them a standard life jacket. Im an idiot and always felt safe enough with what i had but knew I should get a real jacket and kept saying "some day I will" I even had a good friend dropped by my house with his lifeline jacket and was going to loan it to me before I left to the lake, but it didnt fit Me. This has changed my way of thinking. Im still in shock and can olny say my heart goes out to him and his family.

#2 ·
We were there and it happend in a blink of an eye, our sympathy goes out to his family and friends. My wife would not let me start driving my hydro until I bought a Lifeline vest, and I thank god she pushed me to do so you never know when god is going to pull your number but at least I can post pone it for now. They found the body of Frank about 12:30 saturday night. We wtched untill the divers and sheriff left. Very sad ending to a great week at CFW
God Speed

#3 ·
just wanted to say my condolences to the families involved ..
i didnt personally know frank but i have talked to him and met him a few times (good guy he was) .
the life jacket my buddy frank (another guy named Frank) found in the water was not damaged , zipper still funtional and straps not broke so its hard to say he was wearing a vest . WEAR YOUR Damn Jackets guys .. in respect to a downed boater most all the locals decided Not to run in the cove today and packed up and went home for the most part .. terrible tragedy
Not to speculate as I was not there but, This doesn't mean he wasn't wearing it..They (ski jackets) come off in a 40 mph ski mishap let alone a 100+ mph impact with the water as they are no way designed to sustain the forces involved in a crash of this magnatude..There's no substitute for Proper Saftey Equiptment..This is very sad to hear that inferior gear may have been the cause of Franks demise...Either way, it's a tough loss.. Again, condolences to his Friends & Family... Gods speed Frank

#4 ·
The whole thing happened so fast it was unreal. There are no words that I can even use to describe the whole deal that happened last night. Frank was very nice guy and it saddened me to hear it was him.

It should be mandatory that if you area going to run these kinds of boats that you have some kind of safety jacket on. I know its not going to change what has happened...

RIP Frank you will be missed

#5 ·
....A real tragedy...I have been afraid for years that a major incident might put CFW too far on the map........All things considered,...it has been fairly well, self policed for years......Technically it is campers with boats who pay their fees, for use of the facilities...........Hopefully if the county interceeds, they will see this as an isolated incident.....and maybe look at the ratio of swimmers who lose their lives, as compared to boaters........

....RIP Frank.....Heartfelt condolences to family and friends....

#6 ·
I think this should be a "BIG WAKE UP" call for "EVERYONE!!" When you go threw the gate, don't leave your common sence out on the road! Everyone wants to have a good time! I have been going to CFW for 30 years & its the worse I have ever seen it! Just because you paid 15 bucks to get in, it doesn't mean you can do what ever you want! I have been talking to Gary about the jet skis, ski boats & tubes in the cove the last ten days or so because the situation has gotten so bad! It's not a easy situation to fix. I have heard a lot of ideals like put a sign up, put buoys out with signs & so on! Its the liability that goes along with the signs! People have to care & have to use common sence! The ski boats & jet skis have the whole lake to play on! The hot boaters just have the cove! Hot boaters aren't any better than anyone else. If you want to kept this place to run your boat you better use your common sence every time you put your boat in the water! I saw a lot of stuff this last week that was unreal! Don't drink & drive anything. Look around & see whats going on in the cove before you blast out into the middle of the lake! I saw a guy pull out in front of a boat that was making a 100 mph pass, didn't even look around at ALL! We don't need this! If you haven't got any more common sence than that, stay the hell home! I only know about 3 places that you can run a hot boat around here anymore! I really don't want to drive 11 hrs. to run my boat, but I have! Lets not lose "HOT BOAT COVE" @ CFW just because people are to lazy to use some common sence & show a little respect for fellow boats! I'm 61 now & my boating days are getting close to being over! I have had alot of good times @ this lake! I have seen a lot of boats go down in the cove! When its over its over! Use your head as much as you use your right foot!! I'll be talking more to Gary about the cove & what can be done to make it a safer place to run the boates !! Sorry about going on & on! I just off the phone with Summergirl & she is a mess! She told me a lot of details about Sat. night & Sunday! Some of these people should be ashamed of themselfs!!! My condolences go out to the Urbancic Family!

#7 ·
Hud, we can only hope that it opens people's eye's. this is the only time i have heard about a death on cfw and with it now you can bet your bottom dollar the patrols are going to be all over the hotboats now.

#8 ·
Great post Hud.

It just drives me crazy what CFW has become in the last couple of years. Like you I also saw some things there that I still cannot believe. And I left on Wednesday.

My next commnet is not in anyway related to the crash on Saturday. The incodent I am reffurring to happened the previous Sunday.

Unfortunately I think it comes down to not being able to fix stupid. If we cannot get guys to do the basics like not drinking before they run & wearing a decent life vest, I hate to say it but we have no chance. Plus when the same guys do it repeatedly & I am told there is nothing that can be done.

#9 ·
Great post Hud.

It just drives me crazy what CFW has become in the last couple of years. Like you I also saw some things there that I still cannot believe. And I left on Wednesday.

My next commnet is not in anyway related to the crash on Saturday. The incodent I am reffurring to happened the previous Sunday.

Unfortunately I think it comes down to not being able to fix stupid. If we cannot get guys to do the basics like not drinking before they run & wearing a decent life vest, I hate to say it but we have no chance. Plus when the same guys do it repeatedly & I am told there is nothing that can be done.
even though i do not go to cfw alot, this event will effect alot of other places. i just all but stopped boating because what is happening nowdays out on the water. i have voiced my opinion about drinking and boating and i hear the same thing i only have 1 or 2. i have been called alot of things on other boards when i bring it up, so i just kind of gave up on those people and do not really go out anymore:mad: one day i would like to bring my cole out to cfw and get some tips on driving just have not been able to make it out there.

#10 ·
Right on Hud. My brother and I were there Sunday thru Thursday with our parents, it is interesting to see the crowd change from week day people to weekend people. Not that everyone was at fault, but you can tell who reads this stuff and the people who apparantly can't read. I do believe this is a great forum to come up with ideas to solve these issues. If we lose this place, it will be our fault for not finding a solution to the problems we have had for the last 10 or so years. This isn't just a problem of boating this is a problem with society. The powers that be are afraid to do anything for fear of getting sued and rightfully so. The answer of policing ourselves is not working. If anyone has any ideas how to solve this problem let's hear them. Is there any lawyers on this site that have any ideas on how we can control this weekend without getting sued? John Perino

#11 ·
lefty you and hud both make great points about what is going on. i went back on another site and when i said something about the drinking, i was called a drinking dictator by some people that are on this board also.

#12 ·
Stand your ground

Last year I wailed on the drinking and driving and was stomped on by the status quo that think being alcohol stupid on the water is acceptable behavior. WE need to band together on this and become the MAJORITY voice, not the MINORITY voice on drinking and driving anything!! I was extremely pleased with the amount of drivers that I offered to let them drive the Hondo that declined because they had downed a few brewskis. That judgement was really very impressive. For those of you that drink and drive a fast boat and think that you are macho, you aren't, you are just plain stupid. While I am on the band wagon, LOOK BEFORE YOU TURN!!!
Would someone in that area please keep an ear to the ground to see if the County Board or the Sheriff conducts a public hearing on the crash. If that happens, I would like to make a drive up and do a presentation before any determination on CFW is made. We need to make all efforts to keep this open. If there is an attorney among us, we may need your help and advice.
Denis

#13 ·
When Frankie first got the "Red Baron" together we adopted the avaition standard of no alchohol for 8 hours prior to driving. Things happen so fast that you have to at least have a clear head to stand a chance. Everyone should read the thread The Great Divide, one of the best posts ever on safety and this unfortunate loss. RIP Frank.

#15 ·
Hud I'm on board with all this. Monday me and about 6 other flats went out to race in the evening and after you raced you waited at the end of the cove and let the others race then you all drove back. Just common courtesy , but I guess we can't expect that from everybody. Some people just never learn ,but I hope they read these post and understand it will be over if something dose'nt change.
Denny

#16 ·
The bottom line is saftey first a chutejacket and helmet one dosent do any good with out the outher. Then at least you give your self a chance. Every body talks about jet skis and big boats lets get our selfs right first then we can try to fix the rest of the problem. Any thing can happen ask Denis I saw a broken ear on his prop on sat. Dont know what happen but it could have ben bad. So we need to do right before we can make it right.

#17 ·
saving a place to run

I live in Sparks nv we had a place like CFW but the same thing with boaters happened. My best friend was lucky enough to some what walk away he was at the back of the cove and when he came out he hit a roller at top caused by a wake boat that was chasing an other boat and he hit the first roller bumped him up out of his seat the second pitched him out luckly his friends where there I was not I had to hear it through the grape vine that sucked I came to CFW hopping that maybe things would be better. I had heard so many great things about it. So I ask all boaters to try to wok together and find some common ground if us drag racer can have one cove and the rest of the lake the tubers and jet ski's and water skiers can have the rest we used to wok together why not now? Wet-n-Ready Racing

#18 ·
I know this has been a wakeup call for many of us! I bought a "high quality" ski vest many years ago because I didn't want to be bothered with putting on my LifeLine every time I got in the boat. F...in Stupid! It may be inconvenient to put it on each time @ the lake but how inconvenient is it for our loved ones to have to deal with life without us due to our own stupidity?(Please believe me, I am not badmouthing Frank, I am speaking about and for myself)
I have to agree with some of the other comments made here. Yes we have a problem with rollbar boats and jetskis in the cove but how many of our own are going out after 5 or 6 beers and/or with no safety equipment and risking thier lives as well as other's? Don't get me wrong, I like my beer as much as the next guy(there are plenty of people who will be glad to testify to that), but I also want to be around for many more years with my family and friends! If the boat is or might be in the water I'm not drinking until dark. This has been my personal rule since I got my flat in '86.
I too have going to CFW since the lates 80's and things have gotten totally out of control. We as a group and as a family have got to put our heads together and figure out a way to get things back on track or risk losing this wonderful venue forever. I don't know if there is a solution to the outsider problem but I damn sure know there is a solution to the internal one! We have got to go back to policing ourselves or the man will do it for us and that will not be good for anyone.
Our thoughts and prayers are with Frank and his family, now those of us who are still here must make a commitment to do everthing we can to prevent this from ever happening again!
I'm stepping down off my soapbox now and getting back to work.
Bob

#19 · (Edited)
It dose not matter now what the cause of the crash was. Perhaps there were some things like better judgment that could have contributed to avoiding what happened. However some times the unexpected will take course no matter what the majority of us do or think, as the phrase goes "Sh*t happens". It is an unfortunate thing that a boater was lost. But in a retrospective way of thinking this has been the example for the rest of us to remind every one to wear the best safety gear available. Buy it or barrow it to make a run, and make sure a boat is up to par equipped with all the safety equipment features that can be adapted to ones boat.

A clear head to expect the unexpected is the best way any one can react to such a thing as a crash and prepare for the worst hope for the best. I brought out my project boat Fathers day to see if my boat would float or leak any because it is my first boat. I floated it and found some minor leaks and had worked on the boat at the lake to fix the leaks. However I never got to find out if I had fixed the leaks on my boat because it was to windy and the water was to choppy for me to re float my boat again let alone see any one make a run in the choppy water the last two days. With much time to think about it after the crash I feel that I will not drive my boat any time soon until it has the best safety equipment on it and a proper life vest to match. The crash with Frank happened and the Fathers day event was cut short some what where every one seemed to have left sooner then they would have stayed, and for many I think partly because of the unfortunate crash.

Hard to swallow such a thing happening so close to home. But again this has been a reminder to us all think clearer and take as much pride as we can in being safer. Condolences RIP Frank.

#20 · (Edited)
A long time ago I found a solution and it works for me. I stay home during events and holidays.. I go out during the week and off weekends.

That way I avoid all the JACK HOLES that have ruined the sweet deal at CFW. It's been this way for as long as I have been going there > 20 yrs it's just getting worse......................

I will not run my Daytona next to some drunk at 65mph- let alone running my boat @ WOT to try to beat someone in less than ideal conditions...

The guys that ran the week before got the idea......... I am there before and after, in between I'm in my pool or working on my stuff:D

What really did it for me was one of the last few events some drunken crankster was dragging his hardware while ramming his boat onto the beach.
Then go out using his drunk foot on the up/dwn pedal like he was playing the piano. People actualy paired up with this NUT and ran alongside him into the 90's? No Thanks......

Denis

R.I.P.

Frank Urbancic
Friend and Neighbor

#21 ·
Not that I expect others to do the exact same but here is how I reduce the risks of the same thing happening to myself,

1) Never pair up at the lake. In 17 years of owning a flat at the local lakes I have NEVER raced anyone with it unless I was at a sanctioned event.

2) Take it to the race track. Everything you wanted to know about your boat you can find out at the races. Your ET, MPH, reaction times, 1/2 track numbers and so-on. It's all on a slip of paper for you to see and hang on the wall. There are also competitive racers and fair starts. You can also get more advice than you can remember from fellow racers.

3) At the track there is rescue on both ends usually. This gives you eyes down the track to see the water that you cant see a 1/4 mile away. By the time you see the rollers in a hydro its usually too late and your going to hit them at high speeds.

4) The race track MAKES YOU WEAR PROPER SAFETY EQUIPMENT. When people are not forced to, they sometimes wont wear it.

5) At the track there are no inconsiderate jet-skiers, wakeboard boats and other stupid peeps getting in the way.

6) If you crash at the track there are trained people to pull you out and qualified medical peeps to work on you. When the two are absent and there is a crash a horrible series of errors usually occurs when untrained people try to do a professionals job.

#22 ·
So sorry to read that we have lost another , some of you might have heard or read on other boards that we lost Jim Tucker Sat. at the St. Louis Race , He was in full gear and it still did not save him .

http://dragboatalley.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/473.html

I have a rule that I have gone by since my moto days and it is ... dress for the crash NOT the ride . As sad as it is when we lose a freind like we have it is a wake up call for alot and as I read here alot of boaters are parking them until they get some saftey gear ! I know from these boards ya'll ( yep a texan ) have some serious hardware , please take the saftey gear up a notch with a helment also , my prayers go out to the family and freinds .

#23 ·
Now as for policing ourselves, I have a lot of pics from the saturday prior also, that shows boats at full throttle and most with lifelines on but no helmets, I would think that helmets are a big part of it. I can attest to crashing at CFW, if I did not have ALL my safety gear on I would not be here today aswell, I hit so hard my helmet broke and was pulled off my head with the strap still attatched.
I dont want to post some pics with safety in mind here because some of you here need to practice what you preach.. not all but some. or if you wish I can show examples.
I also have a lot from wed-sat also with the same thing going on.;)

#24 ·
I have intentionally stayed out of this whole mess but I feel compelled to throw in my .02 for what is worth.

Before I start I would like to say to Franks Family and friends that I am truly sorry for your loss.

While I stood helplessly on the shore like so many others and watched the whole thing unfold Saturday evening I was at a loss, I felt very empty and alone for some reason. I had just watch a man take his last ride and all I could do was watch and hope like the rest of you that he would pop up soon, but that would not be the case.

After a while of listening to all of the chit chat in the camp area I was so frustrated about the fact that so many people were on this high and mighty kick about how their boats would never leave the trailer without first putting their life lines after I had just spent 4 days watching people running around in ski vests and in some cases no vests at all. As I was walking back to my camp site I stopped and talked to one person who this hit very hard (a board member whom I will not name) and he was the first to say something honest in my mind. What he told me was that after seeing what had just happened he is no longer comfortable with the fact that all he has is a ski vest on when he runs, and that he would be saving some money and buying some good safety equipment before he ran his boat again. I thought to myself that this terrible accident was not in vein and that it was going to wake a lot of people up to the facts of the sport we all love.

When I returned home on Sunday all I started to read about was that CFW can’t do anything to protect the cove because of some possible liability issues and how can we protect it ourselves.

People hear this loud and clear, if you don’t start by protecting yourselves when you run your boats you are going to want all of those people in the cove to pull your dead asses out of the water.

It is MY opinion that each and every one of us need to remember a few very basic things here. Our sport of choice is very dangerous. I don’t care if you running 70 in a jet, 120 in a flat, 170 in a hydro or 140 in a big cat going down the river if you fly out of the boat the chances are good that we will die if we are not wearing some real good safety equipment. It is very easy to get complacent when we haven’t been thrown out yet but imagine calling Franks wife and or family and telling them what had happened and then imagine one of your friends having to call your family and tell them something similar.

Enough about that and now on to something else; don’t confuse the issues here; this is no way the fault of anyone else other than Franks. Frank took his boat out with sub-standard safety equipment on his person at dusk when he could not see the water or the rollers that were in it. While Franks accident is a huge loss to many, it could very well have been totally avoided in the first place. If I am not mistaken, the sign at the gate clearly said no hot (loud) boats on the water before 7:00 am and no boats on the water after sundown and yet on another thread we have again pics of board members boats on the water way after sun down making some really fast passes. Whether we are on the river, a lake or in this case CFW I will tell you all it is our responsibility to know what’s around us at all times, know our limitations, know our plan of action in case something happens and be able to see far enough in front of our boats to do what ever we are going to do safely. Just because we pay our camp fee and launch fee does not relieve any of us from that and/or put the burden onto someone else.

As far as the pics go Hullshot, I would say post them and let the truth be told. There are a lot of us that are guilty, and if we can’t be honest with ourselves who can we be honest with.

I will start this right now, I never wear a life jacket when I am out in my Fountain in the river or the lake. My boat is big, safe and slow enough that I shouldn’t have to worry about it right…Bullshit; after seeing what I saw this weekend I will be wearing a life jacket from now on. There is no way in hell that I will be having one of my friends calling and telling my family that I wont be coming home because I did not do all I could do to protect myself while I was out running around way faster than I really needed to in the first place.

You can all tear this apart as much as you want, but at least then I will know that you have read it and thought about it a bit first.

#27 · (Edited)
heres a boat that got out of shape, if you dont think so look at the drivers ass in one of the pics, I missed the verticle hop completely out of the water but got the split second just before and just after in sequence.
just to give an idea of how fast things happen look at the backround trees, and I missed the verticle take off in that little of time and space.

Attachments

#68 ·
Hullshot, Im in the middle of one of your posts of boaters with no helmet. Why dont you post the pics where I am wearing a helmet also? I made about 4 starts with no helmet and the rest were with one. Please feel free to post the others with a helmet if you are going to include me in your next post.

#30 ·
Where hear is where it gets cloudy.

The pics of Brian were posted because he was doing something that is unforgivable.

The pics just posted are a totally different situation. Yes for me personally I would have been wearing a better jacket. But Hoping a K-boat out of the water coming out of a turn happens to even the best drivers & is no way "Driving out of control"

And if he were not driving with his head the boat would have chined when it landed.

The shots of the other guys wearing lifelines, but no helmets???

So, Are we now going to post pictures of guy who are not wearing SRP or Lifeline jackets??

What about helmets??

Where does it go from hear?????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.