Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
C Ya on da lake
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some things that you may not know, some things that you wish you didn't know... I think it is good awareness...

3,582 unintentional drownings in U.S. in 2005

9 people drown in U.S. pools everyday

drowning is the 3rd overall cause of death with the 1-14 year old age group

Tragically 90% of all fatal drownings occur within 10 yards of safety.

·
C Ya on da lake
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wait, there is more...

5 million pools in U.S.

50,000 new pools/year

swimming pools 14 times more likely than a motor vehicle to be involved in death of a child under 5 years of age

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
The pool at our rent house is 3' deep in the shallow end. Walk four steps and it's 4' deep. Not a pool for children which is why we won't rent to a family with children under 12 years of age.

·
C Ya on da lake
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in Orange County 2005-2007

24 drowning deaths

17 of those drowning deaths were under the age of 4

I hope this gets your attention...

This data has been provided to me through my employer, I hope those of you with small children and pools take this seriously... Even more so while on the waterways.

·
C Ya on da lake
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
75% of these victims are missing in less than 5 minutes and most were last seen in the house.

a child can drown in the time it takes to answer a phone.

don't forget, "Children drown without a sound"

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Friend of mine drown Saturday. He was on the dock tying up his boat, big wake came in, he fell in, they didn't find him for 3 hours. I'm thinkin that he banged his head. Guy was in my kindergarten class all the way up.....

·
pay me or pay me no mind
3,173 Posts
Recreational Boating...

90% of deaths due to drowning

1,200 per year

20% of deaths, too few or NO floatation devices!

do you got the death rate for carbon monoxide poisoning(silient killer)?
we have all seen it, boats running with people hanging out in the water behind the boat having a good time and then where is ------:|err:)st

·
Trailer Trash Queen
1,567 Posts
This hits very close to home for me. I was with a friend last week when she got a call on her cell that her 20 month old nephew was found face down in the bottom of the swimming pool. Horrible.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I watch my 9yo like a hawk when she is in our pool. It MAKES you kick back alittle and enjoy your kids. Nothing wrong with that.
I know of a few kids drowning and they were both because the parents were too busy partying in the house. I'm sure a few here know who I'm talking about.:|err
I also have a chime go off in the house if any door is opened.

·
Registered
377 Posts
As soon as my first boy was born the fence went up around the pool and the locks on the sliding glass doors went up high. I also put in a second gate on my side yard. I have one at the front of the house and one at the back of the house, almost like a dog run. If you have a pool you have to take extra precautions.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Old No. 7 Jack Daniels gave you this info?

Great post, most people don't know it and should.

I just did a class and they talked about babys heads going in dogs water bowls and never coming up, they can't lift thier head up out of the bowl.

Andy

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.