Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the river racing/hot rodding going on everywhere, why do we still find it ok to go out without proper saftey gear? Especially with the bad incidents lately. We all feel we have total control of our boats. I get that. We can't prevent component failure or bad water conditions.

Ski vests aren't going to cut if something bad happens. We'll go out in a totally controlled environment with helmets, ballistics, chute jackets, helmet restraints, etc. But at the river, with no safety crew to help, will wear none of that. Even with lifeline jackets on, do you really think our heads will do well impacting the water without helmets?

With the money spent on these boats, six or seven hundred more on the proper safety gear should be a no brainer.

Just my thoughts. Everyone stay safe. Think of your safety and your family should something unexpected happen on the water.

Have a great, safe, fourth coming up.

Da ninja.

· Resident Ford Nut
10,033 Posts
I agree, thats a very strange first post, all good points and I'm not gonna argue. Feel free to introduce yourself ninja.

Jetboatguru's ultra ego maybe :)bulb

I should probably carry a helmet in the boat, I do agree. The last thing I need is a seat cushion plugging my air scoop. ;)

S CP :D

· B1 Racing
6,261 Posts
Jetboatguru's ultra ego maybe :)bulb

I should probably carry a helmet in the boat, I do agree. The last thing I need is a seat cushion plugging my air scoop. ;)

S CP :D
Who knows. It doesnt matter really, the guys right and sounds like he has good intentions and just wants people to be safe, nothing wrong with that.

CS

· Registered
2,180 Posts
I have recently seen pix of wes and Gofastturnleft running each other at the river with helmets and gear. I have a hard enough time getting my lifeline to the sand bar. Getting the helmet and all the gear is just logistically a pain in the ass. Tha worst part of it all is most have the equipment already but have it at home. I do use my lifeline on the river but not the helmet. Maybe when I step up a little more over 100. Or maybe after my kid is born things will change. My boat has not been to the river for 2 years now and I am hoping to get back soon. Be save everyone.

Cy

· Banned
531 Posts
.. raise your arm when someones flags up.
I do that all day long. People look at me like I'm on Crack--?? I don't know him, why's he waving at me??????????????

That USED to mean that you knew someone was in the water, and you had slowed down and were being EXTRA careful to avoid them and the boat picking them up back in the day. Don't know what it means now.

Watch out for Yellow Calabria Wake Board boats turning left out of lagoon's in front of you, leaving a 2' roller behind them when you're 200' away going 100 mph. It WILL ruin your day.

RR :)hand

· FAT GUY IN A TPR STEALTH
1,805 Posts
I do that all day long. People look at me like I'm on Crack--?? I don't know him, why's he waving at me??????????????

That USED to mean that you knew someone was in the water, and you had slowed down and were being EXTRA careful to avoid them and the boat picking them up back in the day. Don't know what it means now.

Watch out for Yellow Calabria Wake Board boats turning left out of lagoon's in front of you, leaving a 2' roller behind them when you're 200' away going 100 mph. It WILL ruin your day.

I BET ... not to be an ass ..but why would you be going 100 mph 200' from the entrance to a lagoon....???????

· Banned
531 Posts
I BET ... not to be an ass ..but why would you be going 100 mph 200' from the entrance to a lagoon....???????
Thats like speeding through a trailer park....:D
Well, this is like the Pot calling the Kettle Black. I've seen TENS of THOUSANDS of guys over the years(40 +) do the same things(probably you two are included as I look at your avatars), including some of you're HERO's over Memorial day(won't mention names, but they know who they are).

I didn't have anything on but a pair of shorts and some Sunglasses.

I won't do that again. Neither should anyone else. I'm aware of what happened at CFW. I have a full set of Gear. When I race, I have used it from that time(the near miss) on.

· Resident Ford Nut
10,033 Posts
Will you rest your helmet on that stripper pole you call a ski tow;)
I was thinking of maybe making the helmet part of the scoop:

I guess I could attach it someway :p

S CP ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.