Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lifter valley screens, added safety for catching broken valve train pieces, but will they stay put? Is the epoxy the comes with the kits, good enough to keep it in place?

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Lifter valley screens, added safety for catching broken valve train pieces, but will they stay put? Is the epoxy the comes with the kits, good enough to keep it in place?
clean the block real well and they will stay put. if they dont, they are edible.

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
We just clean the block real good and use JB weld. Have never had a problem with our valley scavenge screens coming out even after years of heat and abuse. I used the same method to screen the valley in my BBC, no problems after the first year of use. Look just like they did when new.
Not sure about the epoxy that comes with a kit as I made my own screens.

·
BTC cardcarrying member
1,075 Posts
Jb Weld

This is the shit that killed Elvis...Been in my big engine since '98...Good Stuff...Got torn down every 3 years...Still HARD AS WOODPECKERS LIPS...Wouldnt use anything else.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
We just clean the block real good and use JB weld. Have never had a problem with our valley scavenge screens coming out even after years of heat and abuse. I used the same method to screen the valley in my BBC, no problems after the first year of use. Look just like they did when new.
Not sure about the epoxy that comes with a kit as I made my own screens.
what screen did you use? material and size?

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Woodpecker Lips? I don't even wanna know....

Okay, I'll bite, what are people using to get the blocks super clean so the epoxy will stick? Brakeclean, Laquer Thinner???

Thanks.....john

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
thats pretty cool wette vette as long as it stays put. I used JB weld and have had no issues. Had a magnet come loose using JB but it was a prep issue i think?

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Woodpecker Lips? I don't even wanna know....

Okay, I'll bite, what are people using to get the blocks super clean so the epoxy will stick? Brakeclean, Laquer Thinner???

Thanks.....john
My first reach would be for the acetone bottle. Absolutely no residue left on the iron.

·
Some guy
3,610 Posts
I tried a Moroso kit on the Dart 540 I am just finishing up, after using a different brand for years. I was always afraid of the epoxy in the other kit, never seemed to be enough to do a good job, and the stuff had little dried blue lumps in the stuff most of the time.

The epoxy that came in the Moroso kit not only mixed up real smooth and "clean" looking, there was more than enough to secure all the screens.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Several of my friends have used that Moroso screen kit and it works very well. The only problem ever ecountered by one of them with that epoxy was on a alcohol motor. Alcohol fuel getting into the oil like it does can degrade the epoxy over time. On a gasoline and race gas motors they have never had a problem.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The bolted screen is made from a rather rigid heavy guage expanded metal. It's pretty stout compared to the screen provided in the screen kits.
Great I'll keep this in mind, I'll have a bunch of extra screen from my windage, to make up something like that:)bulb

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
My first reach would be for the acetone bottle. Absolutely no residue left on the iron.
Acetone does leave a residue...iospropyl acohol is about the only thing that doesent, and 99% at that. Not saying acetone won't clean enough, though.
I've had screens come out using the epoxy that was supplied, so I went to JB as well. No tool box is complete with out it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts