Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
MLC - Mid Life Crisis
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used item on ebay (auto part) from a guy who sells stuff out of his garage (and it is a good deal). However, he is trying to hit me for sales tax which I think is a crock of shit. He sells a bunch of stuff on ebay so he has oodles of feedback. Can I tell him to pound sand and that I will pay the sales tax when the Govt. comes a knocking or what? This pisses me off. :|err

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Tell him to pound sand. I would make mention of it in the feedback so other buyers are aware. I would bet he doesn't have a business lic.

·
MLC - Mid Life Crisis
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tell him to pound sand. I would make mention of it in the feedback so other buyers are aware. I would bet he doesn't have a Bussiness lic.
I really want to tell him to go F himself but for the 20 bucks, it is still a hell of a deal.

·
MLC - Mid Life Crisis
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ask him for his resale number and tell him you're going to 1099 him.
Doesn't he have to work for me or do work for me before I 99 him?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
If it is a out of state sale there is no tax either way. If in state get his Biz name and tax ID as others said, it could be a real side biz who knows.

I guess this may be the new BS way to pump $ into the sale since people were catching on to the double shipping rates.

·
MLC - Mid Life Crisis
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a way to search for a business that is collecting sales tax or to research for a resale license holder?

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Every state is different. You can go to the state business licensing agency and look them up if the are legit.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
If it is a out of state sale there is no tax either way. If in state get his Biz name and tax ID as others said, it could be a real side biz who knows.

I guess this may be the new BS way to pump $ into the sale since people were catching on to the double shipping rates.

x2

·
MLC - Mid Life Crisis
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I started out selling stuff on e bay out of my garage. I still had a Fed tax i.d. #, city biz lic and a state re-sell number just like I do at my shop.

This guy is not charging sales tax, he is collecting it.

·
MLC - Mid Life Crisis
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
He's collecting it alright, FOR HIMSELF.

·
MLC - Mid Life Crisis
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Son of a bitch was actually legitimate! Registered with the State.

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
Here a file from the state board.

If more than 3 sales per year seller is required to obtain a permit an collect tax within CA. If he's doing a bunch of sales he undoubtedly has a permit.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub177.pdf

1 - 19 of 19 Posts