Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
News is saying the Police Helicopter is going to be 110% Ax'ed & High Desert Boat Patrols, personel & inventory are under microscope as very next to go..

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
Too bad the code eforcement wasn't the first to go.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Give me a break, the SBSD are the people that patrol the lake and actually do some good.
The city guys do a good job patrolling the channel and the bay but the San Bern. guys get it done on the rest of the lake. If these guys go away, who will patrol the lake and keep it
safe? All of you haters and bashers should think about that one for a minute! I met the
Sheriff himself a few years ago while working at Conquest and he seemed like a great guy
and the deputies that work on this lake seem to be great guys. I can't believe that they
would consider cutting them back with a county as large and as productive as San Bernardino is. If I remember correctly, that county is bigger than all but a few states in
our country and their production and output in that county is bigger than all but 16 countries in the world! They can't find a few mil to keep the lake safe, I'm appalled.

Just like our city considering cutting the fire departments guys. it sure doesn't seem
fitting to ask a guy to put on a vest and let people shoot at them or run into a burning
building and endure the extensive training that they go through and then ask them to
go stand in the unemployment line after they keep us safe. Oh and if we need you, be
sure to keep in shape and be ready to come back?

Here's the last part of my rant, our city (any city or county really) tries to assess the
risks that are out there, then they try to determine how many fire fighters and leo
will be necessary to keep a lid on it all. Then they hire the appropriate amount of people.
Just because there is a budget problem, does that mean that the risks and crimes and fires will go down??? Not likely, so what they're saying is, better to not be as safe as we were
before so that we don't have to cut the budgets of our pet projects? Rant over.

·
Punk in Drublic
2,165 Posts
Give me a break, the SBSD are the people that patrol the lake and actually do some good.
The city guys do a good job patrolling the channel and the bay but the San Bern. guys get it done on the rest of the lake. If these guys go away, who will patrol the lake and keep it
safe? All of you haters and bashers should think about that one for a minute! I met the
Sheriff himself a few years ago while working at Conquest and he seemed like a great guy
and the deputies that work on this lake seem to be great guys. I can't believe that they
would consider cutting them back with a county as large and as productive as San Bernardino is. If I remember correctly, that county is bigger than all but a few states in
our country and their production and output in that county is bigger than all but 16 countries in the world! They can't find a few mil to keep the lake safe, I'm appalled.

Just like our city considering cutting the fire departments guys. it sure doesn't seem
fitting to ask a guy to put on a vest and let people shoot at them or run into a burning
building and endure the extensive training that they go through and then ask them to
go stand in the unemployment line after they keep us safe. Oh and if we need you, be

Here's the last part of my rant, our city (any city or county really) tries to assess the
risks that are out there, then they try to determine how many fire fighters and leo
will be necessary to keep a lid on it all. Then they hire the appropriate amount of people.
Just because there is a budget problem, does that mean that the risks and crimes and fires will go down??? Not likely, so what they're saying is, better to not be as safe as we were
Hi Keith!

·
Unhyphenated American
1,938 Posts
Thats not good at all, less patrol plus bad economy= nothing good!

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
So true. Already seeing crime on the rise and no patrol means will get much worse.

Thats not good at all, less patrol plus bad economy= nothing good!

·
The King
1,107 Posts
We're all takingit in the shorts these days, not just cpos and fire.

Having said that, were is the bailout for these guys. Crime and drug use ain't gonna get any better in the near future. While the Feds stimulate the rich, the working class continues to take a beating. Laying off public servents and decreasing services should be the last stop. I thought the Dems were in charge too.....

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Safety

safe?
All of you haters and bashers should think about that one for a minute!

OK, safety is, or should be a priority, no argument there. Please explain how noise enforcement plays into the safety issue. Loud boats DO save lives. Could the lake/river be safer if the LE didn't waste their time writing noise tickets? Could LE in the channel do more "gangbanger" control if noise enforcement was abandoned altogether? If the LE on the lake/river has the time and manpower to enforce muffler laws they have way too much of both. Victimless crime should never be a priority. Before you say there are victims of noise crime, the noise was there first. Like moving under an airport glidepath and complaining about the airplanes being too loud...Safety, OUI, lifejackets, teak surfing, bowriding, etc etc, are important, but 10 cents, or 10 minutes, towards noise enforcement is 10 cents or 10 minutes too much.........Ray

·
100% Pimp 50% of the Time
1,516 Posts

Wow! Kieth I didn't see anyone bashing above you just reporting news.... I see alot of reading between lines in threads lately :D

·
Registered
572 Posts
Maybe I jumped on this one a bit strong. But I spent 3 hours last night at the city council
meeting and there were about 50 firefighters there waiting to speak their piece due to potential layoffs. I couldn't hardly look them in the eye I felt so bad for them. Sure we
all have our economic hardships but I don't want to put a vest on and I don't want to run
into burning buildings. These guys should be off limits. OK I might get flamed for this but
too bad.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
It's funny you have this thread on page one with the other thread that is complaining about increase in traffic tickets.

Hypothetically....Would it be ok to cite every person with tinted windows in order to pay to keep the helicopter in the air or to keep the "over paid" cops and firemen at their posts?? Hmmmmmmmm......

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't...There's always someone to b!tch.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I can't count how many times in my life I have heard that the fire, police, district attorney or whatever government office is under going cutbacks. It rarely happens! Alot of scare tactics and posturing. I support LE 100% but there are many times that there is an overwhelming show of force on the lake. Hanging in steamboat with a bunch of responsible boaters and there are 3 different enforcement agencies looking for what???? Oh wait a helicopter is overhead! I have to wonder why we have this much show of force? I have never been "hassled" by the SB Sherriffs. I have had a few minor issues with the LHC Police. But I have wondered why the show of force for Steamboat cove...looks like alot of overtime and money being spent. There are so many retired cops and firemen at the river cruising around that we have our own force there at all times. We just need to add a few emergency lights and bullhorns to all of the DCB's in the channel and we are good to go.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Before I get all of the firefighters and LE heated up in here. I really do support you 100% and I respect your service. I just think that every once in a while government can find a way to save 10% or so just like private businesses. Maybe one year longer before a new equipment purchase. When I used to live in Arcadia they had paddy wagons come and pick up 70 year old shoplifters and HUGE hook and ladder trucks with no tall building in the city. This equipment was always dispatched to things it should not be and one day I asked why.. the answer was if we don't use it our budget will be cut.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Before I get all of the firefighters and LE heated up in here. I really do support you 100% and I respect your service. I just think that every once in a while government can find a way to save 10% or so just like private businesses. Maybe one year longer before a new equipment purchase. When I used to live in Arcadia they had paddy wagons come and pick up 70 year old shoplifters and HUGE hook and ladder trucks with no tall building in the city. This equipment was always dispatched to things it should not be and one day I asked why.. the answer was if we don't use it our budget will be cut.
Trust me, You’re preaching to the quire about beurocratic mis-manage and over spending. I’m the victim of it right now!

·
Advantage Citation 496HO
50 Posts
Agreed that much, probably most, of this is typically political posturing.

But the other story here is that much of public safety is supported by state and federal grants. Cities and counties accept these grants to hire new police and fire knowing full well that the grants expire after a period of time, usually three years. The agency must then put the employee on regular payroll. I don't want to infer that these agencies are bloated and certainly support the work that they do, but this is the primary reason these agencies have grown so much during the last decade. These grants are drying up and local cities/counties can't afford the payroll hit.

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
problems with police and fire

these organizations are victims of city fiscal mismanagement and crooked politicians who create bull shit policies and get rid of poor brave fire fighters and police officers only to secure there bureaucratic jobs that of which they are over paid for anyways. when citys are in trouble the police and the firefighters are always the first to be threatened with lay offs and its a bunch of crap. then when it to late they will realize they screwed up they will then start hiring again and the ones that somehow did not get laid off will be so bitter they will just want to quit and do half ass jobs cause they can and that also sucks ive seen it happen in about 17 cities and its currently happening to my friend and his dept the only thing keeping him employed right now is that he is K9

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,414 Posts
I can understand the need for the helicopter at the river or other places...BUT... never could figure out why they needed to fly around all day at the river. I had him BUZZ my boat a couple times (very low in my eyes) just to look at the girls (I assume). I would imagine the fuel is expensive and the bird could sit until needed. Just like they do at Dumont.

The boat patrols are needed but it does seem like it gets excessive between LHCPD, CG, AZFG, SBCSD, and whoever else wants to chime in.

Just my opinion for what its worth.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts