Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always heard that the Sanger Family Ski-Flats were not intended for big HP or speed (say, over 80 mph). I've had several '70's era Sanger true flats (inc. one gullwing).
My question is what's the big deal if this model Sanger has a very slight V back to the transom? I know of and have owned several other brand V-bottom V-drives (19' Hallet for instance) and they were all quite stable at 100+ mph. Does anyone have first-hand experience running a Sanger Family Ski-Flat with over 700 hp and speeds in the 100 mph range? Sure would be honored if Harlan would chime in.
Thanks, Jocko

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
I have always heard that the Sanger Family Ski-Flats were not intended for big HP or speed (say, over 80 mph). I've had several '70's era Sanger true flats (inc. one gullwing).
My question is what's the big deal if this model Sanger has a very slight V back to the transom? I know of and have owned several other brand V-bottom V-drives (19' Hallet for instance) and they were all quite stable at 100+ mph. Does anyone have first-hand experience running a Sanger Family Ski-Flat with over 700 hp and speeds in the 100 mph range? Sure would be honored if Harlan would chime in.
Thanks, Jocko
I own a '75 Sanger bubbledeck true flat and I would like to know too... I have been told my boat is a "Ski Flat", a "Gullwing" and an assortment of Sanger models by different people but really dont have a clue as to what it really is as defined by SANGER themselves.

DSC54.jpg DSC224.jpg

My boat does in excess of 85mph on gps, and I have calculated speeds over 100 but not gps'd them yet, so yea I want to know if it is a safe boat to try that with. It is a Medium layup (HID says SANM) which I understand to mean "medium". It feels very stable at the speeds Im doing right now. Needs some plate tuning, but its close. It has all steel underwater gear, about the only thing that requires change is the quadrant. Motor is a 496ci 850 dual quad TR, 10.2:1 comp w/990 reworked heads.

·
Banned
25 Posts

There's a guy in nor cal that has one with aprox.750hp that runs 100+all day long he claimed moving the eng. From 26"from the transom to 34" I know that 36" is the i deal spot but he swears up &down it works fine. I guess I will find out first hand as I have a family ski flat that is in good cond.that no one want's so what the hell.what's the worst I part the left overs out and cut up the hull??

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I own a '75 Sanger bubbledeck true flat and I would like to know too... I have been told my boat is a "Ski Flat", a "Gullwing" and an assortment of Sanger models by different people but really dont have a clue as to what it really is as defined by SANGER themselves.

View attachment 133406 View attachment 133407

My boat does in excess of 85mph on gps, and I have calculated speeds over 100 but not gps'd them yet, so yea I want to know if it is a safe boat to try that with. It is a Medium layup (HID says SANM) which I understand to mean "medium". It feels very stable at the speeds Im doing right now. Needs some plate tuning, but its close. It has all steel underwater gear, about the only thing that requires change is the quadrant. Motor is a 496ci 850 dual quad TR, 10.2:1 comp w/990 reworked heads.
I think your hull is the same as the Sanger (18'-10" bubbledeck) in my Avatar, if it has a dead flat transom. Mine ran a 10.39 / 101 mph at Ming with approx. 700 hp. Your bottom is not a gull-wing. Here's a couple of pics......the blue boat is a Family Ski Flat (note slight V at transom). The white boat is a (rare) gull-wing. I love Sangers! Jocko

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
Mine is totally flat in the back, 1 single plate all the way across and no runners at all. I'll get some pics of the front underside on the trailer cause it looks like it 'cups' right under the front and then goes to a flat. I love Sangers too!... I like sitting in a boat not on it... lol

f1.jpg sf 001.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
There's a guy in nor cal that has one with aprox.750hp that runs 100+all day long he claimed moving the eng. From 26"from the transom to 34" I know that 36" is the i deal spot but he swears up &down it works fine. I guess I will find out first hand as I have a family ski flat that is in good cond.that no one want's so what the hell.what's the worst I part the left overs out and cut up the hull??
I just moved mine from 29" (with a trans) to 32" (without) and it seems fine, am working out the plate adjustments now but it runs flat and level with plates at 0*-flush.

You better not cut up that beautiful hull!!!!! :grin: lol

·
Registered
143 Posts
We have a Sanger gullwing with a blown alcohol 468 with excess of 1000 hp.
Our boat exceeds 100mph no problem.
Be carefull, this was a total build for this kind of horsepower.
There was a lot of very knowledgable people involved with this project.
Those same people have told us to take out the alcohal motor, for something a littel more tame.
At speeds upwords of 120 the ass end gets real uncomfortable.
terry.jpg
needles tony 1.jpg

·
The member
3,244 Posts
I had a 19' family ski .. gps'd at 85 but I think with the juice would run around 90 mph. Stable as hell it was a great boat.

·
Registered
80 Posts
sanger's

would like to see a pic of the blue boat from the front, can tell how bad things are when nobody has bought that boat!! the only thing i've found with a gullwing you can be on the left, or the right going slow, on the left too long and the engine will get hot, water pickup on right... mine is 19' something, engine 30'' from the back and it needs all the plate there is to keep it from bouncing, at wot, would like to move engine forward, then only little kids can ride in back and i don't have any...:detective:

·
Upstanding Member
12,715 Posts
This Sanger set the K boat Kilo record back in 1973 at 140!. I was too young back then to be able to tell everyone which hull it was, but I have printed news reports where it was called a 19 footer and also a Super Sanger. If I had to guess I'd go with a gull bottom. Maybe Gordy or one of the old timers can shed some light. This boat is still around too.:))THumbsUp

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I had a 19' family ski .. gps'd at 85 but I think with the juice would run around 90 mph. Stable as hell it was a great boat.
Thanks, this is what I want to find out...............first hand experience with a Sanger Family Ski-Flat. I appreciate all the other input regarding the other Sanger bottoms, however I already have lot's of experience with them. Thanks, Jocko

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I guess I will find out first hand as I have a family ski flat that is in good cond.that no one want's so what the hell.what's the worst I part the left overs out and cut up the hull??
I saw your boat in Chowchilla and it looks nice. If you decide to cut up the hull, PM me and I will see what I can do to take it off your hands. Someone mentioned that this red boat was a family ski flat also at Chowchilla, but I never saw it on the trailer to check the bottom. It ran pretty good.

Attachments

·
Distinguished Member
5,780 Posts
Early 80's I was looking for my first flat I talked to the guys at sanger. This is about the time they were converting the 19' family ski from the tiny V to a runner bottom. Sanger said with the proper set up, the family ski will run 100 mph no problem. They claimed the runner version would do it with around 650 HP and the true flat/slight V a bit more HP. I wanted one of those boats so bad, but it was out of my budget at the time. Ended up with my Kurtis instead but still would love to have a totally restored 19' FS like the red one @ Chowchilla... very cool boats. I'm sure they'll do 100 MPH if they're set up right. No reason why they shouldn't.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
This Sanger set the K boat Kilo record back in 1973 at 140!. I was too young back then to be able to tell everyone which hull it was, but I have printed news reports where it was called a 19 footer and also a Super Sanger. If I had to guess I'd go with a gull bottom. Maybe Gordy or one of the old timers can shed some light. This boat is still around too.:))THumbsUp

I think you are right SS. It looks then same in the front as the gullwing that is for sale (as best as I can tell from the old pic).

@David519 - did you see the bottom of the red boat? if so, was it a slight V or a Runner?

·
Registered
296 Posts
That 18'6" is a very nice hull, My current Sanger is I believe the same Hull (at least that is what I was told when I bought the bare hull from a guy in Chatsworth) I went from a 19 to the 18' 6". I call the boat "Stupid Move" because I loved the 19, but had color envy and got a hell of a deal on the boat as it looks now, but just bare hull. I stripped the 19 and built this one. Completly different boat from the 19, stringers and bottomk are thicker, boat is at least 5" narrower and 4" lower, 9" shorter but 12" shorter in the cabin. I hate the boat until I drive it and it is a blast to drive, will do what ever you want it to do. Run's much quicker than the 19 with the same power. We have 3 of the FS 19's in my none of them run anything close to 100mph but they are very stabel and great boats.

Attachments

·
Distinguished Member
5,780 Posts
That 18'6" is a very nice hull, My current Sanger is I believe the same Hull (at least that is what I was told when I bought the bare hull from a guy in Chatsworth) I went from a 19 to the 18' 6". I call the boat "Stupid Move" because I loved the 19, but had color envy and got a hell of a deal on the boat as it looks now, but just bare hull. I stripped the 19 and built this one. Completly different boat from the 19, stringers and bottomk are thicker, boat is at least 5" narrower and 4" lower, 9" shorter but 12" shorter in the cabin. I hate the boat until I drive it and it is a blast to drive, will do what ever you want it to do. Run's much quicker than the 19 with the same power. We have 3 of the FS 19's in my none of them run anything close to 100mph but they are very stabel and great boats.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 19 FS is well over 19' isn't it? Seems I remember them being something like 19'6" but could be mistaken. Regardless, you are right about the FS's being bigger though you don't really realize how much bigger until you see one next to a "standard" 18' flattie. Though not as quick as a smaller flat, they are intended to be "family ski" boats!!

·
Banned
25 Posts
I have one and it's 19'2"from the transom to the tip of the bow mine is a 1977 my other is a 1972 18'10" there is a four inch difference and it's in the deck the '77 f ski is four inchs longer thay both are equal everywhere but deck lenth

1 - 20 of 42 Posts