Performance Boats Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Sangers

Hello
There were 17-10, 18-6, and 18-10 raised deck flat bottoms. I built the tooling for the 18-3, 18-4, and 18-6 bubble decks. They were built as flat bottoms with flat transoms and v-transoms. There were drag race flats and runners, and circle race flats and runner bottoms. There were illegal and legal runner bottoms. From 1970 throuu 1975 we built 2 boats each day, flats, hydros and cruisers.
THE RECORD BOOKS WILL TELL YOU THE SPEEDS THE BOATS WERE ABLE TO OBTAIN.

HARLAN ORRIN

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hello
There were 17-10, 18-6, and 18-10 raised deck flat bottoms. I built the tooling for the 18-3, 18-4, and 18-6 bubble decks. They were built as flat bottoms with flat transoms and v-transoms. There were drag race flats and runners, and circle race flats and runner bottoms. There were illegal and legal runner bottoms. From 1970 throuu 1975 we built 2 boats each day, flats, hydros and cruisers.
THE RECORD BOOKS WILL TELL YOU THE SPEEDS THE BOATS WERE ABLE TO OBTAIN.

HARLAN ORRIN
Wow, that a pretty impressive statistic. That means approx. 2,600 Sangers were built (based on a 5 day workweek) just in those 5 years. Thanks for the input, Harlan. Jocko

·
Purple headed member
7,646 Posts
I just bought a 1973 Sanger bubble deck that is a true flat. I was wondering if this was a gullwing style hull and if the boat is capable (safe) running at speed. I was just in Parker and we ran a solid 95mph with a 468 BBC 12* with a 3 blade
Gorgeous boat. Bubble decks are one of my favorite hulls. What's all done to the motor?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just bought a 1973 Sanger bubble deck that is a true flat. I was wondering if this was a gullwing style hull and if the boat is capable (safe) running at speed. I was just in Parker and we ran a solid 95mph with a 468 BBC 12* with a 3 blade
What kind of RPM's are you turning with that 3 blade to hit 90+?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Sanger boats

That number did not include the boats built on Saturday. When I started at Sanger Boats, Jack told me to keep a outside storage rack full. Part of the boats in the storage rack were replacement race boats. We would build replacement race boats on Saturday. We would build light and superlight drag flat bottoms and hydros. When we started building circle race boats that meant more stock race boats. When a boat was damaged at a race, I would pull a replacement hull from the outside rack. It would be painted on Monday and be ready for rigging for the next race. The racer would usually show up on Tuesday or Wednesday to rig the boat for the next race.
HARLAN ORRIN

·
Registered
892 Posts
What kind of RPM's are you turning with that 3 blade to hit 90+?
5800-6000. The boat runs really good. I want to try and play around with gears. I'm not sure what it has in it but I'm sure it's something standard like 18's. It's a 12*. I want some gears that are a little taller so the boat pulls longer and with out the super high rpm. Also I'm looking or a 2 blade if anyone has one. Some where in the 11"+ range smaller than a 12" and for a 1" shaft.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Gorgeous boat. Bubble decks are one of my favorite hulls. What's all done to the motor?
The heads have been ported and polished with bigger valves. They are 990 heads. It has a steel forged crank arp bolts in the rods (h beam) and a large cam. I run a single 850 demon. 10 quart pan. I'm going tear it down over the winter and upgrade the manifold, timing gears.

·
Hard Core Member
406 Posts
I have always heard that the Sanger Family Ski-Flats were not intended for big HP or speed (say, over 80 mph). I've had several '70's era Sanger true flats (inc. one gullwing).
My question is what's the big deal if this model Sanger has a very slight V back to the transom? I know of and have owned several other brand V-bottom V-drives (19' Hallet for instance) and they were all quite stable at 100+ mph. Does anyone have first-hand experience running a Sanger Family Ski-Flat with over 700 hp and speeds in the 100 mph range? Sure would be honored if Harlan would chime in.
Thanks, Jocko
Jocko:
To comment on your original question, my first v-drive was a 1979 Sanger Family Skier. It was 19'3" or 19'6" with a very shallow V, no dropped chines. This is not the same boat as any 2 seater, drag or circle. It was great with a small block, it turned well and handled chop. I started throwing power at it and progressed to a blown 540 with at least 800 hp. It ran 103 at the races but was very hard to take a set and hopped badly unless the pedal was down. The problem is, the boat had a hook built in to the hull at the back. It planed fast and held a skier well, but it plowed the nose over about 70 or so. Moving the motor, different props and gears did nothing. I used to go through the lights at 100 or more with the plates at two notches down, you could feel the bow steer and it was scary. After one season racing, I turned it back into a play boat. So, your first statement in my opinion is correct, and I would not try to push one over 80 without redoing the bottom to take out the hook.

For reference, the same motor in my '79 TR2 went 117, and went 143 in my Kurtis 501!
DJ

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Jim, your post is the exact kind of firsthand feedback I was looking for. They're nice boats for thier intended purpose, but I think I'd be dissapointed in one for my intended (budget racer) purpose. Thanks! Dave

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I had a 1977 19'6" family ski Sanger. I owned the boat for 17 years, it had a blown 468ci chevy with approximately 650hp. As mentioned above the boat liked to bounce under acceleration up to maybe 70mph then you could feel the boat drag itself through the water. I really liked the boat, just not a very good hotrod. Last I heard Mike at Prime Marine owns it now, less the motor I had. I noticed a picture of it at Billy's deal at Pirates Cove, still looks like new.

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
We were just out at CFW this past weekend and gps'd a 92 with my 496. At chowchilla I calculated a 94 but radar only said 84. The boat is running pretty wet still, trying to get the plates adjusted a bit better. Getting alot of prop slip off the start; calcs out to about 22%.

Also got some pics of my front hull: anybody confirm this is a gullwing or not? it definately has a curve but not very extreme.

_MG_0767.jpg v 002.jpg v 003.jpg

·
Registered
137 Posts
sanger

had a 77 sanger, had a 540 blown with 18gears, ran as fast as 96 couldnt get it faster and always bounced made me nervous all the time, could never get the plates right, switched props 11"6 and didnt see a difference, passed it on to my cousin so hope he figures it out, it was a half v and flat, think old circle boat, not sure

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Here is a good pic of the bottom of the gullwing. It appears to have much more of an arc to the bottom than yours. I don't know if yours is a gullwing or not, but I thought I would show the comparison of the two bottoms.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Yea, Sanger Bubble decks are IMO the best looking hull ever.I am bias of course but the Sanger 18'6" gullwing I had ran right at a buck and handled well. Yours is a great example of someone taking good care of a great piece of art....

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
Here is a good pic of the bottom of the gullwing. It appears to have much more of an arc to the bottom than yours. I don't know if yours is a gullwing or not, but I thought I would show the comparison of the two bottoms.
Yea I have looked at that pic a million times, but Ive seen no other hull photo layouts for comparison to prove or disprove what it is, Maybe someone can post up some front hull pics of a Sanger Family Ski???? , or other types???? to compare it to. Nobody seems to know....

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
View attachment 134158
Cool Sanger, & yep, its a true flat.
That's my sanger. Bought it new in 1975. Original engine was a LS7 454. Used that engine
until I flatten the cam. I had just gotten the LS6 out of storage after 3 years of being under water.
Rebuilt it and using that engine since 1978. When I picked up the boat from Sanger I asked where they placed
their engines and I did the same. The way it is set up, it runs good enough for me.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts