Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
clueless
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this project a couple weeks ago and its just about ready for the upholsterer. Have some more sanding to do and glassing in the corners then resin the whole thing. Should finish it up this weekend and get it to the upholstery guy, says he should get to it by end of March if I get it to him by beginning of next week. Going from 4 buckets back to back to this.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
looks good, I am having mine done this year on the Sanger and have been wanting to go to the bench, now you got me thinking again and that's really when I get in trouble. good luck with the upholstery.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I started this project a couple weeks ago and its just about ready for the upholsterer. Have some more sanding to do and glassing in the corners then resin the whole thing. Should finish it up this weekend and get it to the upholstery guy, says he should get to it by end of March if I get it to him by beginning of next week. Going from 4 buckets back to back to this.

Chris
Looks very stout. Does it separate or come out as one unit ? Is there an access hole to the drive line & zerk fitting ?
Looking forward to seeing the finished pictures :))THumbsUp

·
clueless
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its all one unit, I will have an access in the top of the tunnel to access v drive and front of driveline. I’ll still be using the driveline guard as the seat doesn’t go all the way back to the engine. Once I get all th corners glassed and the unit as structurally sound as I can make it I’ll cut the bottom out of the rear tunnel for driveline clearance and the top access. The whole assy will be secured with 4 bolts. Will take just a few minutes to remove if need be.

Chris

·
Registered
118 Posts
Came out great, exactly what I plan on building for my 17'10". It is currently two separate pieces that need replacement.I will be re-building as one unit also.

·
Lookout I'm Crankin it Baby
6,576 Posts
I'm an old bastard...but I need to critique you only cuz I care. All your seat board corners in the rear need to be rounded...and so does the corner you will staple foam to. I will see if I can get Speedboat Racer to put some pics up..

·
clueless
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m in the process of doing that, that’s the sanding and grinding I was referring to. Its funny you mention Speedboat racer as his Stevens restoration thread I’ve gone through over and over and that’s where I got the idea for this project.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'm an old bastard...but I need to critique you only cuz I care. All your seat board corners in the rear need to be rounded...and so does the corner you will staple foam to. I will see if I can get Speedboat Racer to put some pics up..

Good eye Mike. Lol did you use a magnifying glass ?

Speaking of old bastard Happy Birthday

·
Registered
168 Posts
Looking good

Rattle Can Lou asked me to send you some images of the Stevens seat project that I did but I can see from your last post you have already seen them. Good luck and look me up at 208-861-3388 if you have any questions.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Rattle Can Lou asked me to send you some images of the Stevens seat project that I did but I can see from your last post you have already seen them. Good luck and look me up at 208-861-3388 if you have any questions.

Chris
Nice!

·
Registered
118 Posts

Chris
Sangerskier, what did you use for plywood thickness? Looks like 3/4" for the base and seat back and boxes, 1/2" for the rest. Can't really tell for sure?

Thanks

·
clueless
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used 3/4 for the base and the tunnel and 1/2 for the sides and backrest and they are braced, screwed and glued.you can’t see it in the pics but I cut out almost all of the base under tunnel for driveshaft clearance after it was completed, that’s a lot of structure. Then glassed the joints with polyester and 9 oz.I forgot to take photos completely finished. I used 1/2in for seat cushions too since they are supported well by the base.

Chris

·
Registered
118 Posts
I used 3/4 for the base and the tunnel and 1/2 for the sides and backrest and they are braced, screwed and glued.you can’t see it in the pics but I cut out almost all of the base under tunnel for driveshaft clearance after it was completed, that’s a lot of structure. Then glassed the joints with polyester and 9 oz.I forgot to take photos completely finished. I used 1/2in for seat cushions too since they are supported well by the base.

Chris
Thank you, that is very helpful! One last question, did your upholstery guy have any issue stapling into glass, or did you avoid putting glass in areas to be stapled?

·
clueless
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I kept the glass away from anywhere that he’d staple to. I took it to him before glassing to make sure where he would staple. I did however resin the whole thing, he said resin was no big deal.

Chris

·
Late Start-er
778 Posts
Nice!
I like em
JT

1 - 20 of 26 Posts