Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Not a Member
511 Posts
Yep, There is one of the "illegal" ones up here.
72superlites boat, It was band form racing in Calif.
NDBA,APBA what ever..
So Sanger sold it to our Dad to race here in the Northwest.
I will see if he can post some pictures of it.
Seems that things got kind of heated back in the days of the factory wars.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
I have measured the width of a circle runner pad and a drag runner pad and they are the same width. I have seen one offs where somebody redid the bottom and widened the runner. But I believe the center sections were the same width straight from the molds.

·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cavi plate

A guy told me that Sanger made a runner from the factory with a 22 inch wide runner, and that didnt seem right to me.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
A guy told me that Sanger made a runner from the factory with a 22 inch wide runner, and that didnt seem right to me.
Outta curiousity I just went out and measured my plates. Center plate is 23 1/4" and outsides are 19 3/4". And thats on an 82 Sanger Runner-Bottom "drag" hull.

·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
???

Wow.. I dont think i have ever seen one.... or maybe it is just that i never noticed the difference:)sphss. Can you post some pics of your set up?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
There were Sanger circle and drag race runners. And there was one that was made illegal.
HARLAN ORRIN
What made it illegal????????????

·
Not a Member
511 Posts
Heres the back end of 72superlite's boat when it was raced by our Dad.
It has a 3 inch outside runner, 24 inch tunnels and a 10 inch center pad.
The tunnels are 1 inch deep. This is one that was "Illegal" for race in California.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Runner bottoms

Heres the back end of 72superlite's boat when it was raced by our Dad.
Its got 3 inch outside edge, 24 inch runner and a 10 inch center pad.
The runners are 1 inch deep. This is one that was "Illegal" for race in California.

The officials decided that the center runner, tunnels, and the drop chines were multipal planing surfaces. The center runner and tunnels were not multipal planing surfaces. We did not remove the outside runners. We filled the area inside them to create the gull wing bottom.
After we built the first model they decided it was illegal. They changed the rule book. I now had work for the next few weeks, making a legal boat.
HARLAN ORRIN

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Outta curiousity I just went out and measured my plates. Center plate is 23 1/4" and outsides are 19 3/4". And thats on an 82 Sanger Runner-Bottom "drag" hull.
I had a '78 like this one, I have only seen these bottoms on the "square" Bubble Deck, or whatever you want to call it.

Was told that it was loosely based off of the TR-1??? Harlan?

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
sanger runner bottoms

I have one of the runner bottoms with the enclosed propshaft. The runner is 10 inches wide and the depth is 3/4 " just behind the strut. I have it for about 15 years but we are going to try and change over to regular strut assembly. The set up I have is two piece with the front part about 48" and is cast aluminum and weighs just over 20 lbs.. The strut is cast iron and weighs about 35 lbs. Losing these pieces and going to aluminum heads should allow us t pick up a couple mph

·
Registered
934 Posts
i was told by someone that the one with the wider center pad was a nicer riding hull? Is that correct? Mine has like and 11" center plate. Mine is a 18'6 circle runner 5/8

1 - 20 of 45 Posts