Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, Our CA State Government wants to disband the Dept of Boating & Waterways and absorb it into the Parks and Rec Department. This has been tried several times over the past few years (and thankfully those times rejected).

The Dept of Boating and Waterways directs the money we all pay in boating gas tax and fees and grants it specifically to boating related interests like improving and building new marinas and launch ramps, facilities, etc. for boaters.

If the Dept is disbanded the money we pay can be used any way they damn please and likely not for boating interests.

Please go to this link and read about this and contact your State Legislators right away. This thing is on the fast track due to California squandering all it's money on dumb shit and overspending.

This issue means a lot to California boating interests and many of the facilities we all take for granted are a result of money directly from this department.

Copy of link printed below...

Unless boaters act now, Cal Boating will be gone in 3 months, the boating advocacy group Recreational Boaters of California warns.

Please take a moment to e-mail your California state representatives: Send them a message to show your support for Cal Boating!

To locate your individual representative, please refer to this Web site: www.leginfo.ca.gov/yourleg.html. Please take the time to write to your representative or copy and paste our sample letter below.

Also, due to the fact that many state legislators opt out of disclosing their email addresses, our sample letter can be downloaded here for postal mailing.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Legislator:

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is submitting a reorganization proposal to the California State Legislature that would eliminate the Department of Boating and Waterways (DBW).

The governor’s plan is set to take effect this spring – UNLESS the California Senate or the Assembly adopts by majority vote a resolution rejecting the plan.

I STRONGLY urge you to reject this wrongheaded plan, which would neither save money nor provide any benefit to California taxpayers. On the contrary: It would negatively affect the state’s more than 3 million boaters and California’s $17 billion per year recreational boating industry.

What does the DBW mean to California boaters?

DBW receives no General Fund dollars: It is entirely funded by boater fuel tax dollars, boat registration fees and interest payments on infrastructure loans (including those for boating access projects, marina improvements and launch ramp construction).

DBW has a compact organizational structure and administers boating programs in a timely and non-bureaucratic manner. Its statutory charter is directly boating-related.

DBW provides accountability, transparency and leadership in its allocation and use of boater-derived taxes and fees, and in providing the best use of these funds for programs benefiting boating.

• California’s more than 3 million boating enthusiasts, who support a $17 billion per year boating industry, must have a dedicated department to represent their interests -- with a director whose primary focus is boating.

• The elimination of DBW will not provide the governor’s projected $600,000 in savings, and would eliminate essential boating programs and services including:
o Maintaining safety on the waterways for more than 3 million boating enthusiasts.
o Ensuring environmental protection for the state’s waterways.
o Stimulating the state’s economy through loans and grants for boating facility
construction – all 100-percent funded by boater-paid fees, at no cost to
taxpayers.

Please reject Gov. Schwarzenegger’s unwarranted effort to destroy a model agency that operates efficiently. The Department of Boating and Waterways provides a valuable service to boaters statewide, and all of its costs are fully funded by California boaters.

Sincerely,

_________________(Name)
_________________(Address)
_________________(City)
_________________(E-mail Address)

·
32 DW X-CAT
2,271 Posts
Thank you Rexone:

To PB members you can simply cut and paste this sample letter into an e-mail to your local legislator. The locator link is easy just type your zip code in and it will pull up your local representatives---in some zip codes you may have more than one.

KAP

NOTE: The entire letter will not fit into an e-mail to a legislator so just indicate your opposition by copying the following.
---------------------------------------
Dear Legislator:

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is submitting a reorganization proposal to the California State Legislature that would eliminate the Department of Boating and Waterways (DBW).

The governor’s plan is set to take effect this spring – UNLESS the California Senate or the Assembly adopts by majority vote a resolution rejecting the plan.

I STRONGLY urge you to reject this wrongheaded plan, which would neither save money nor provide any benefit to California taxpayers. On the contrary: It would negatively affect the state’s more than 3 million boaters and California’s $17 billion per year recreational boating industry.

Please reject Gov. Schwarzenegger’s unwarranted effort to destroy a model agency that operates efficiently. The Department of Boating and Waterways provides a valuable service to boaters statewide, and all of its costs are fully funded by California boaters.

Sincerely,
name
full address with zip.

Letter sent to Christine Kehoe:)

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
Arnold took the off-roaders Green and red sticker money now he's going after the CF sticker money.
He's done a complete 180.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So why haven't they fixed or improved the launch ramps on the California side yet? There has been nothing done to those ramps in 15 years and they are still broken.....

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
I was talking to Ray Tsuneyoshi, the director of CA DBW last week. He described the Parks Dept. as a "black hole"

In addition to losing California boatinig money into that black hole, CA boaters will also lose millions of Federal Aquatic Resources Trust Fund Dollars , funneled from the Coast Guard to the State.

A similar thing is happening in AZ. Not so much consolidating the primary Boating Agency (Game and Fish Dept.) into State Parks, but stealing millions of dollars from boaters, just the same. The State took 6 Million of State Lake Improvement Funds last year and is looking at taking up to 10 million this year. Those funds come from marine fuel taxes and a portion of boat registration fees. They are also taking nearly ALL of Game and Fish Dept. Registration fees and revenue raised through the OHV licensing and grants programs.

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Done

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Done, the wife sent letters as well. Gonna call my kids next

·
Registered
386 Posts
Was at a meeting with Ray Tsuneyoshi, Director of California Boating and Waterways, on January 13 when he broke this news. It's been brewing in Sacramento for quite a few months and as the state budget problems worsen, politicans are scrambling to grab $$$ wherever they can. This folding of DBAW into Parks and Rec has been tried before, but has yet to be successfully pulled off, mostly because boaters have rallied to the defense of the Department with massive letters, FAXes and emails. This time it will take all of that and more. There's also legislation floating around Sacramento that will allow the Department of Water Resources to siphon off $7.5 million annually from DBAW's budget in order to battle the Quagga Mussel issue. The problem with that is there is no provision in the bill as to when the $7.5 million snatch would end. Even if the Mussels get wacked, the money still disappears for boating uses. According to people close to DBAW, California legislators don't put a very high priority on recreational boating infrastructure improvements like launch ramps, restroom facilities and marina renovation. Trust me, every letter, FAX, email and phone call will count in this battle.

·
Social
1,250 Posts
Arnold took the off-roaders Green and red sticker money now he's going after the CF sticker money.
He's done a complete 180.
That happened long before Arnold. When Gay Davis took all of our off-road money into the general funds, we stopped obeying the off-road laws. We are continually harrassed about green/red sticker money, yet no improvements are made, and riding areas are continually shut down.

Hope this doesn't happen to boating, but wouldn't be a bit surprised.
Everyone (us included) wanted Arnold in to balance the budget. Yet everyone screamed like girls when he tried to actually do it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Response I received back from Mr.Cook.

Thank you for your recent e-mail to Assemblyman Cook regarding the budget proposal to eliminate the DBW. The Assemblyman is in Sacramento and asked that I contact you and assure you he will keep your concerns in mind when the issue comes before him. He also thanks you for taking the time to express your concerns to him.

Staying in contact with his constituents is extremely important to Assemblyman Cook and I would encourage you to visit his website ( http://republican.assembly.ca.gov/members/a65/ ) and sign up for his online newsletter, “The Cook Chronicles.”

Thank you again for your correspondence. Please feel free to contact the Assemblyman on any issue of concern.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Comment:

Post up once you have sent your letter.

I would be interested in seeing how many people really care about boating in California.

This type of budget balancing/diversion really pisses me off.

KAP
I'm supprised there are so few people who have done this. I just e-mailed:

John Benoit
Jeff Miller
Kevin Jeffries
Brian Nestande

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm supprised there are so few people who have done this. I just e-mailed:

John Benoit
Jeff Miller
Kevin Jeffries
Brian Nestande
I think people many times just ignore the sticky threads. I'm going to unstick it and bump it a few times and see if we get better results.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Assemblymember Van Tran - District AD68
Your message has been received - Thank You

My staff and I will endeavor to respond appropriately, and in a timely manner, to your message.

To return to my homepage click below.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts