Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
cj812
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i picked up this old liberty in az on thanx giving, i needed a new familly boat because the hondo was too small.

the Liberty was in pretty rough condition, but, i liked the way my hornet handled and the liberty has the same bottom. So i took the wife and kid out to Az to look at it. the first thing she did was sit in it and she liked the leg room, compaired to the t-deck hondo. So it was a go:)devil
heres some pix

we got it home and stripped it down to check out the stingers. they were in bad shape and needed to be replaced:mad:. So i looked up kenny at BK boat repair in bellflower, ca. took it to him and he said they needed to come out, oh well kinda figured that.

·
cj812
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kenny is a true master of his craft, here it is with the new floor layup and stringers.

yes thats a turn fin:)devil

·
cj812
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it took about 3 weeks to get them put in, i decided not to go with a new balsa floor because i saw what happend to the old one. here we are putting it back on the trailer.

woo-hoo, its home

·
cj812
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it had the 1 inch stringers in it, but, beings how its a familly boat and im going to beat the snot out of it in rough water i decided to go with the bigger stronger stringers. more pics

i decided not put put any transome wood in because im not going to hang any thing off it. Kenny said it doesnt need it anyway

this is the motor out of the old Hondo, it was running 5200 rpm with a jacuzzi wj and 52mph

i started out thinking i would use the 4 point mounts but in mid stream decided to make a rail kit.

now i had 8 holes in my new stringers that i had to fix,:mad:

·
cj812
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

we started fabbing a rail kit. 6061 t-6

no water jet here, porta band and 4 inch grinder. kinda primative i know but its what we have.

rails cut and drilled

not petfect but still working on it

·
cj812
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have to give a big thanx to my pops, he's the one who makes the plates.

mounting blox from rex marine. looking better

still a little triming to do,

motors back out for paint, the can said ford blue, not baby blue. the wife liked it but i couldnt stand it.:)sphss

·
cj812
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a little rattle can and whamo. i dont know how to do gel coat and summers coming fast. if it peels i'll just bust out another can:|err

tanks are cleaned up and back in

new helm and cables, the hole in the dash is too big for a pretty bezel so had to use the old one. as i upgrade later it is on the list of things to do.

the blue motor had to go;)

·
cj812
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
heres the sub floor, i dont know shit about wood and carpet, so a friend lent a hand in trade for some summer fun.

prepping the bildge for the herculiner,

its gas and oil resistant so i went with it.:)sphss

damn alternator hits the rail kit, so pops fabbed a new bracket

·
cj812
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
installed the motor and found out the balancer wouldnt clear the bulk head:)hammers so out came the saws all. i know i should have taken it back to bk, but summers coming fast. i deal with it this winter.

carpet is in

had to trim the rail for the battery box

some 3x4 angle for the box to sit on

running out of $$ so i used an old box for this summer

·
cj812
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

new steering wheel

last year out at the AVI the hondo with this motor sheard a dizzy pin and stopped running. its a long story but i had to replace the cam, when we went to prime the oil system for cam break in i had no oil pressure. the oil pump was locked up, so out came the motor (again) man im tired of this:)sphss this is what i found stuck in the oil pump

i have no idea where it came from, so i had another oil pump so we slapped it in and primed the system. 80lbs so i say screw it and roll the dice. we stuffed it back in the boat and broke the damn camshaft in. no problem yet (whew)

i had jim brock at cyclone speed and marine go through the pump, its an aluminum A-cut. No big power here so i'll be fine. the pump is pretty

·
The Grand Wizard
2,912 Posts
That is a cool project, thanks for sharing the pics and run down.

I like how you stay true to the blue oval. :D

·
cj812
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
a quick stop at sweet performance for some fittings to finish up the plumbing

the cam break in
http://youtube.com/watch?v=C_PiRXtDFDE
put the inner springs back in, i think it sounds great
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SCHQn_9Ptes
now on to the interior, its shot wood is all rotted. but the the rest will work for a couple of seasons whith some towels over it. so brad said he would help me do the wood since i dont know shit about it. thanx brad

not too bad for 30 year old foam

·
cj812
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
diverter, go fast pedel and header valve

pumps in, memorial weekend is coming up fast so i ran out of time to even clean the damn thing. (just want to get on the water with my familly)

motor is back out to get the break in shell rottella out and vr1 20/50 in

getting the new oil, man it was hot that weekend

we are ready for the lake YEE-HAW

i took it out to buena vista this weekend and it ran flawless. 30 gallons of fuel and two 230lbs guys it went 62.7mph. i think the tach is wrong but it said 5200rpm. this is one solid familly boat, and thats what i built it for. if i want to go fast i'll get in the race boat.

·
cj812
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
some pix from this weekend

the wife likes this one:)devil

when its cold and they dont want to get wet this is how you do it

looking back there are some things i would have changed, money and time permitting. I will upgrade as i go, at least i have a solid starting point.
thanx for looking
ralph

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Great job on everything! Super pix.too! Hope ya enjoy it!:D WT:)devil

Coby

1 - 20 of 30 Posts