Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dont know if i will hit 700, but i dont want to use any junk. I am trying to justify buying a new rotating assembly rather than re-use whats in there now

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
The scat 4340 i have made over 800 and worked for three years flawlessly . Im putting it back into service this year. I think the finish work is much better than an eagle. If you wqnt a great priced fully American forged crank contact jon partridge at bullet cams. They make great American products for a fair price. All there forgings are from Louisville foundry which was lunati got them from.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What crank do you have? If it's forged Scat crank and is in good shape why not use it?
I dont know if it's forged.all i know is it says "scat" on it and it now has two spun rod bearings. I havent miked it yet,but it looks like it might be toast.
One of the bearing shells(both halves#6) was in peices wadded up at the oil pick up. the # 5 shell was still around the crank.The rest of the bearings looked good.I'm thinking the side clearance on those two rods will be a little big after the bearing was sqeezed out ...(I didnt have the pistons out yet when I asked about scat cranks)

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I dont know if it's forged.all i know is it says "scat" on it and it now has two spun rod bearings. I havent miked it yet,but it looks like it might be toast.
One of the bearing shells(both halves#6) was in peices wadded up at the oil pick up. the # 5 shell was still around the crank.The rest of the bearings looked good.I'm thinking the side clearance on those two rods will be a little big after the bearing was sqeezed out ...(I didnt have the pistons out yet when I asked about scat cranks)
Stand the crank on the flywheel flange and tap the front counter weight with a hammer. If it rings like a bell, its forged. If its a dull thud, its cast.

Those two rods are probably toast as well. If the crank needs to be turned more than .010, your better off junking it. You could buy a whole 496 rotator and gain some power at the same time.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stand the crank on the flywheel flange and tap the front counter weight with a hammer. If it rings like a bell, its forged. If its a dull thud, its cast.

Those two rods are probably toast as well. If the crank needs to be turned more than .010, your better off junking it. You could buy a whole 496 rotator and gain some power at the same time.
I was thinking the same thing.I was told about assemblies from White perfomance. Any other companies you would suggest?

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
gn, santa rosa and nipomo aren't quite in the same neck of the woods. it would have to be a very long neck. :)

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
it's close enough..ups can make the stretch real easy
ups can ship ca to tennessee real easy. or arizona to texas. doesn't mean they're in the same neck of the woods. "neck of the woods" implies the same neighborhood or regional area like county. not necessarily within ups shipping distance... nipomo and santa rosa aren't in the same neck of the woods...

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
That's pretty stout for a 468 with a single carb at only 7000.
Thats what I was thinking. Those numbers almost sound familiar:D
ups can ship ca to tennessee real easy. or arizona to texas. doesn't mean they're in the same neck of the woods. "neck of the woods" implies the same neighborhood or regional area like county. not necessarily within ups shipping distance... nipomo and santa rosa aren't in the same neck of the woods...
Anything in Calif north of Santa Barbara is in the same neck of the woods.
Isn't Tucson just around the corner from Havasu?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Distinguished Member
5,772 Posts
The scat 4340 i have made over 800 and worked for three years flawlessly . Im putting it back into service this year. I think the finish work is much better than an eagle. If you wqnt a great priced fully American forged crank contact jon partridge at bullet cams. They make great American products for a fair price. All there forgings are from Louisville foundry which was lunati got them from.
What he said!! We have a Scat 4340 crank in our engine. Nice piece for the $$$ and say it would be fine up to 1k HP or so. Anything after that, I'd step up from the Scat/Eagle level stuff.

We spun a rod bearing really bad on a Scat crank a couple years ago. Planned on junking it until we decided to build a pump gas lake motor. I had Crankshaft Marine in Anaheim repair it. They are bad ass. They understand heat treating, did a bitchen repair and saved the crank. I can't seem to find the pics before and after the repair, but it was tore up pretty good and the repair looked better than new. More than good enough for what we're doing with the motor.
Keep in mind, the repair was $500 to grind the damage out, mag it to make sure it was good, weld it up, grind it to size and nitride it, plus mill double 1/4" keys in it (think the keys were $150). Since we had a complete balanced rotating assembly for that combo it was worth it $$ wise. Might not be worth it if you have to balance it and don't already have the rest of the componets.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Anything in Calif north of Santa Barbara is in the same neck of the woods.
Isn't Tucson just around the corner from Havasu?
uuummmm. NO. 6 hours away doesn't qualify for neck 'o da woods. and why would you do a cutoff at santa barbara? that's only an hour away from sc's neck. actually, if you really wanted to expand the neck, socal is quite a bit closer to nipomo than santa rosa is.
back in the day, i made dozens of r/t's from nipomo to eureka and back. literally hundreds from the nipomo "neck o the woods" to eureka and back. gn, north of santa barbara, there really is a great big state out there... :)

o, and just to participate... i've been running a scat 4340 for 11 years... 0 problems...

1 - 20 of 82 Posts