Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting together a 400 SBC for my son and I'm considering buying a rotating assembly from either Scat or Eagle. Any input on which brand is the perferred choice would be helpful.

Thanks for your input

JD :D

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
SCAT all the way!!:)devil eagle's quality has been kinda iffy lately, SCAT stuff is just alot
nicer! that's what I've been using lately.:)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Screw scat had one of their cranks break in a stock 403 hp 383 they told us to take a flying leap, called eagle they said send it to us and they sent us a crank at no charge just for changing our bussiness to them. I use either Eagle or Callies depending on application and availability.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I didnt say they were unbreakable, I said there their customer service was great, something you dont get at scat just for the record Ive never heard of and eagle breaking in a 400hp truck motor.

·
Registered
93 Posts
just my opinion but you get what you pay for ive had both scat and eagle both , and with that said ive also broke them both. I can say i have a eagle in my 540 currently and have had it in there for 4 years without issue.It is however a 4340 and wont use eithers 5140 anymore ... i think id look into callies compustar or lunati sledghammer:)hand

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
just my opinion but you get what you pay for ive had both scat and eagle both , and with that said ive also broke them both. I can say i have a eagle in my 540 currently and have had it in there for 4 years without issue.It is however a 4340 and wont use eithers 5140 anymore ... i think id look into callies compustar or lunati sledghammer:)hand
Because they are forged by a different Chinese person, useing a better forge, with better material?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
93 Posts
your right gn i guess im just expecting more out of lunati or callies but its probly all the same crap out of the same joint being milled by dow fung after too many saki;s lol:)devil

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
saki is Japanese. The Chink's are all high on opium!:)hand

But I do understand Slowryd's point. I will be the first to admit that Scats customer relations are not as good as their cranks. And it should be better. The cost of that crank to them is nothing compared to the bad rep they can get from just one. I don't have to deal with that there, but have talked to people who have. I have heard it both ways. Shaun on the boards here got a new crank from Scat, to replace one that had never ran, and the problem wasn't even Scat's problem, but they replaced it anyway.
First thing I would say about a 383 crank is, I wouldn't run a cast one (if it was) if it was handed to me. There is a reason GM made the mains bigger on the 400. If they thought the mains were fine at standard sbc size, they would have left it. Same thing I keep harping about on the LS.
Really want to push the stroke out to 4.625 on a LS's crank? Forged or not. But if it was a casting, in a truck, think about this. How hard is it to hold the motor of a v-drive or jet at WOT and max torque @ say 4000-4500? Like impossible. Now how about a truck towing a boat uphill. There is a reason GM but forged cranks in school busses with 2 barrel carbs, and 366 cid dump trunks. And it wasn't for the RPM. So you chose to stick a 3.75 crank that GM originally made with a larger main, and stick in it a truck, and it broke. BOO HOO. If it was cast, double shame on you!
If it was forged, Scat should have given you a new one. And IMHO it was their mistake if they didn't.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
Screw scat had one of their cranks break in a stock 403 hp 383 they told us to take a flying leap, called eagle they said send it to us and they sent us a crank at no charge just for changing our bussiness to them. I use either Eagle or Callies depending on application and availability.
SO WHAT "STOCK" vehicle comes with a 403/383?? and I'm sure it had a forged crank,
right? because I personally would never recomend one of those import "cast steel" jobs
to anyone-especially cuz you can buy the forged one so cheap!

eagle must have turned a 180, because all I can recall is bad customer service from them.
'

·
Gone in a Flash!
220 Posts
So after all thats been said, what's the next step up? Calies Dragonslayer? How much bang for the buck do you get by going to this next level? Ready to run, just measure for insurance and drop into the block and go? I have no first hand experience with these aftermarket cranks, but other peeps coments lead me to believe more often than not the imports need some touch up work to bring them up to standards. If you step up, are you getting much more value? -Especially made in the USA quality coupled with higher fit and finish. I find more often lately that it doesn't cost that much more to get the higher quality product and I only bite my lip when I write the check but the sting is soon forgotten and having the good dependable stuff is well worth it.-Just wondering from those of you who deal with these products on a daily basis...Flac shield on! Standing by for impact! :)hammers

·
Registered
93 Posts
so since we all agree scat and eagle are both pretty much enter at your own risk how about neither one and maybee some recommendations on someone else........im gettin ready to revise my 540 into a blown 555 and would like some good insight i listen good i swear......:)hand

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
not all scats cranks are forged in china- their upper end stuff is made in the USA:thumb:and
is real nice stuff, but you pay for it:D I have always been partial to CROWER:)devil BUT,
if your looking for a good price in an AMERICAN CRANKSHAFT, check out HOWARDS!
I just used one in a customers engine, and must say, it was a very nice piece! and the
price was pretty good, but the best thing was the way they treat you! nice bunch of
guys there! got exactly what I wanted, they will take the time to tell you ALL ABOUT
where, and who does them for them- check em out!

·
Registered
211 Posts
The Scat steel crank that we had a problem with was one of two that we bought at the same time one went in a hot rod 383 that made just a little of 530 and and the stocker made 403 and broke on the dyno after the 4th pull. The thing to keep in mind is if you are building something that you are going to pound on anything can break at any time no matter who builds it but if it is a blatant premature part failure I'd like to think that the manufacture would stand behind their product. That is why the majority of my bussiness goes to Callies and Eagle, and I woulnd run any Scat stuff if it was given to me. Thats just my oppinion.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
The Scat steel crank that we had a problem with was one of two that we bought at the same time one went in a hot rod 383 that made just a little of 530 and and the stocker made 403 and broke on the dyno after the 4th pull. The thing to keep in mind is if you are building something that you are going to pound on anything can break at any time no matter who builds it but if it is a blatant premature part failure I'd like to think that the manufacture would stand behind their product. That is why the majority of my bussiness goes to Callies and Eagle, and I woulnd run any Scat stuff if it was given to me. Thats just my oppinion.
My machinist can get Tom Lieb on the phone personally any time he's there. No, they're not friends, but I know Tom has gone way out of his way to help my machinist many times. Often times customer service goes both ways...you can get more flies with honey than vinegar. It doesn't make sense to me, knowing what I know, that if the part was blatantly at fault, it wouldn't be gladly replaced.
I like the Callies stuff. Their magnum BB crank is a really nice piece, but way more expensive than the imports. The Compstar is as Chinese as any other import. The Dragonslayer is a Chinese forging finished in the US, and a nice crank, but $1200 for a sbc and $13-1400 for a BB chev. A standard weight Scat, which IMO is as good as a Compstar is a little over half that.
One other option that few talk about is the Howard "Track Smart" 100% US made forged 4340 cranks. Small block cranks for well under $1000, BB cranks for just over.
JMO

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
not all scats cranks are forged in china- their upper end stuff is made in the USA:thumb:and
is real nice stuff, but you pay for it:D I have always been partial to CROWER:)devil BUT,
if your looking for a good price in an AMERICAN CRANKSHAFT, check out HOWARDS!
I just used one in a customers engine, and must say, it was a very nice piece! and the
price was pretty good, but the best thing was the way they treat you! nice bunch of
guys there! got exactly what I wanted, they will take the time to tell you ALL ABOUT
where, and who does them for them- check em out!
x 2.. I'm running a SCAT in my 555 N/A Pontiac.. My uncle has one of the lightened SCATs and it's beautiful and like Blowncat mentioned, you pay for it.. I don't have any experience with their off the shelf rotating assemblies. I know it's like comparing apples and oranges, it just seems like SCATs thrown around here like it's mail order junk.. Not all of it is.. Plus like mentioned above, there high end stuff is machined in the U.S.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
x 2.. I'm running a SCAT in my 555 N/A Pontiac that's making in the upwards of 1100+.. Going on about 60+ passes on it.. My uncle has one of the lightened SCATs and it's beautiful and like Blowncat mentioned, you pay for it.. I don't have any experience with their off the shelf rotating assemblies. Sorry for the hijack..
Scat puts an incredible amount of hand work into their LW cranks, and they're not that expensive for what you get. Scat's stuff always seems to balance up nice too. I just finished two rotating assys...a 540 and a 489, both Scat standard wt.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My machinist can get Tom Lieb on the phone personally any time he's there. No, they're not friends, but I know Tom has gone way out of his way to help my machinist many times. Often times customer service goes both ways...you can get more flies with honey than vinegar. It doesn't make sense to me, knowing what I know, that if the part was blatantly at fault, it wouldn't be gladly replaced.
I like the Callies stuff. Their magnum BB crank is a really nice piece, but way more expensive than the imports. The Compstar is as Chinese as any other import. The Dragonslayer is a Chinese forging finished in the US, and a nice crank, but $1200 for a sbc and $13-1400 for a BB chev. A standard weight Scat, which IMO is as good as a Compstar is a little over half that.
One other option that few talk about is the Howard "Track Smart" 100% US made forged 4340 cranks. Small block cranks for well under $1000, BB cranks for just over.
JMO
I know what you are getting at about the honey and vinegar situation, I can assure you that we conduct our bussiness in a proffesional manner,this situation was 10 years ago maybe they have corrected their way of doing bussiness but I am not going to give them another chance especially being a dealer for Callies. And as far as the quality of Callies products I dont know where you got your information but my catalog and rep. both tell me that the CompStar is forged over seas rough machined then shiped over here for finishing, The DragonSlayer is the same forging as the Magnum(made here) it just is not quite as detailed as the magnum, also the prices you mentioned seem to be alittle over retail value.

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
not all scats cranks are forged in china- their upper end stuff is made in the USA
All SCAT rods are manufacutred and fully machined offshore; all SCAT cast and forged crankshafts are manufacutred and rough-machined offshore then finish-machined stateside. All SCAT billet crankshafts are fully machined stateside, but I don't think I have to tell you where the billet comes from.

In regards to all the "this broke," "that broke" bs in this thread: high performance engines break parts. Duh. :rolleyes:

LO

1 - 20 of 70 Posts