Performance Boats Forum banner

school me on vdrive transmissions

6K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Unchained 
#1 · (Edited)
Im buying a vdrive cruiser that has a velvet drive in it. Should I be putting a shorty power glide or a turbo 400 in it? What is the advantages over the velvet drive?

#2 ·
Never had a Power Glide in a boat but have had several with TH400 and Love the 400's ability to use 1st gear for getting around in a Marina.. and use 2nd gear for taking off.. I know one advantage of a PowerGlide is they can be made in a very short form so it saves room in the boat.. specially if you have a driveline length issue.. if I had to pick I would go with a th400 myself.. but a powerglide I hear are lighter so really depends on what you want..

#7 ·
from what ive read a Velvet drive isn't designed for very much HP.. I think they are rated at 500 hp??? .. I have 1st gear in my th400 and use it when bringing the boat in to the trailer or maneuvering in marina's otherwise too slow to use .. if I had to build another cruiser I would put a th400 in it as well :)

#9 ·
don't know about robbing HP. they do not use a convertor so its direct drive like a manual trans almost.. I have so much power I wouldn't be able to tell if it was robbing or not lol.. I do know a velvet drive isn't designed for a lot of power tho.. so depending on what the OP is planning on running for power should help make his decision ..

#11 ·
I have 698 hp behind a velvet drive and I can also say that I have slipped into neutral when under way with cruise control on and free wheeled it and then put it back in gear while still on cruise...never hurt it.

if you have some big lumpy camshaft that might be a small issue but mine does and it's fine..

Here's the deal in my mind...if motor builds a good torque number and will pull the boat up...velvet drive is the answer...if engine is anemic and needs help out of hole...maybe go tranny. Velvet drive is so smooth and maintenance free...leave it alone.

JMO

#14 ·
Does a prop still turn slightly when in neutral on a velvadrive? Reason I ask is on a glide or 400 you can leave the park feature in which absolutely locks the prop, could be an asset if you need to get a swimmer aboard and are having starter issues.

#15 ·
I recently had the same questions.

The Velvet drive as they came were rated for 450 hp, but generally handled somewhat more safely.
It can be reworked to handle much more power by certain rebuilders, something in the neighborhood of 1200-1500 hp is what I was told by one.

The Turbo 400 handles considerably more horsepower than a stock Velvet drive and it does have the 2 or 3 speeds depending on set up.
The lower gears are an advantage around a marina, particularly if you have an engine that requires a higher idle rpm. It allows for slower speed in no wake zones.
Second gear gives the advantage for taking off as the gearing is in the right range.

The Powerglide is also good around the marina, but geared a little low to be ideal for acceleration as you go through that rpm range very quickly.

How the engine idles and the weight of the boat make a big difference as to what is best. Overall, they are equally good transmissions. IMO

#17 ·
Velvet Drive

I had a 21' Sanger Mini that had a velvet drive. It had a blown 502 with about 800 HP, and 29% gears. in the V-drive. I was told they don't like HP. Probably true, but for a lake boat, and if you don't "hammer" it from idle, you will probably be fine. If you want to run it hard and want to retain the velvet drive, You might want to check out BAM transmissions. (I hope the spelling is correct) They offer Velvet Drives that are "beefed up" to handle power. Enjoy your new cruiser.

Dave

#18 ·
A velvet drive that is "worn" will creep in neutral...had one when I was real young that crept and it was annoying. But haven't had any issues in years with the ones I have owned..

My opinion of the velvet drive in marina's and low mph areas is this...they slide in and out of F N R with such ease...they don't present any issue around these areas...it's hard to explain but the VD has no detents (sp) built into them...its just the cable and it is so smooth that it's like butter in between FNR..where as the trannys kind of have to CLICK into each spot...Makes driving them a little harder in tight areas...JMO

#19 ·
The turbo 400 in my Schada will creep in neutral and it is new. I had a velvet drive in a older boat and it would creep. The 400 has all 3 forward gears and I like first for no wake zones. Instaled a shority powerglide in a boat last spring and liked the size, and weight.

#23 ·
YA what he said!

I agree, I must have 2500 hp in my 90 mph Cruiser spelled, KarUzer! RCL is right! OH, that smarts!!!! it pops into N so easily that I use that technique when towing since most hydros nose under while under tow around 7 mph! Just couldn't resist!:wink2: Ya, it idles at 10mph ! even in no wake zones:confused:

#25 ·
I switched to a JW powerglide a couple years ago that came from a drag car. Even has a trans brake. :)sphss
It idles along at the same speed in neutral as in 1st gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.