Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work for a company that uses little 4 cyl Ford industrial engines in equipment. (day job). I have a customer that needed a valve job. Most of these are lp engines, so hard on seats/ valves. I priced parts today.
4 intake valves, 4 exhaust valves, 4 intake seats, 4 exhaust seats, 8 seals...... $852. NO SHIT! That is parts only. Not labor.
I need to switch to industrial diesel stuff.
Wags

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
I work for a company that uses little 4 cyl Ford industrial engines in equipment. (day job). I have a customer that needed a valve job. Most of these are lp engines, so hard on seats/ valves. I priced parts today.
4 intake valves, 4 exhaust valves, 4 intake seats, 4 exhaust seats, 8 seals...... $852. NO SHIT! That is parts only. Not labor.
I need to switch to industrial diesel stuff.
Wags
No, you need to move to the supply side of the diesel stuff. Imagine the mark-up there...:D

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, you need to move to the supply side of the diesel stuff. Imagine the mark-up there...:D
Roger that. Our price on an intake valve is 43 and exhaust 79. I called my engine parts supplier. Intake 11, exh 19.
Oh, well..
Wags

·
Administrator
16,876 Posts
Those stationary engines use stellite seats and valves. There is no liquid to lube them.

·
Platinum Member
2,014 Posts
That is where I should be. Restoring old pieces of crap to like new!
Wags
Parts costs ? I buy Cat, Detroit and Cummings parts at freightliner, KW for less than factory dealer.

PS we replaced all the fords with john deere power plants

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
i'm rebuilding a deutz oil cooled deisel rt. now @ my shop out of an Ingersol-Rand 150cfm portable air comp. 2 injectors and the head gasket
had to come from Germany! just parts to do a fluff job/repair and machine
work (recon 1 rod, line hone, turn crank ) rings, bearings, gaskets, 2 inj.
I'm into this thing for 2800.00- not counting my labor, for a paltry 49hp!

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
No you need to be in Europe and have a good parts supply in the States. Customer needed a front pump for a 727 Torque flight. My cost on the pump was $160. I asked him what was fair price for it. His cost was $1800 from a European supplier. I said okay how about $320. He said that was fine. Freight was $300. He charged the customer $2500 plus freight. Come to find out the part from the car dealer was $3500. It was an Aston Martin Vanquish....they use a Chrysler Tranny.

Hell your lucky to make 20% on performance parts for the most part.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hell your lucky to make 20% on performance parts for the most part.
Roger that. If you price stuff individually you usually can't do that because of iternet searchers. I gon't blame customers I guess.
If a customer wants to source his own parts I will provide a list of p/n and if there is a problem it is his problem. I just add labor other places to cover the cost of time.
Knowledge is not free.
Wags

·
Administrator
16,876 Posts
I won't have my guys research part numbers for folks that want to buy them somewhere else.

I have a few that will just wear us out with questions. One jerk recently wanted me to build him an engine. His stuff he brought in was junk. Sat with water in it for years. He wanted me to bore just 1 hole to see if it would make a .040. I told him no and he got pissed. It needed 2 sleeves. So he was going to start from scratch. And insisted on starting with cylinder heads. Wanted me to research the GM performance catalog so he could buy them from a dealer that gives him a smokin deal. I told him no. He found a bunch of stuff a guy had for sale in Chicago and wanted me to one part at a time analyze if it was a good deal or not. I told him no.

I finally told him if he wants me to build him an engine that will work well for what he needs bring in some $$ and I will take care of it.

He bought the stuff from Chicago and had another shop up there do it. Called me to brag on how little power it made on the dyno. lol and then tried to wear us out about some tune up issues he was having. My guy told him he should call the guy that built it. lol

Roger that. If you price stuff individually you usually can't do that because of iternet searchers. I gon't blame customers I guess.
If a customer wants to source his own parts I will provide a list of p/n and if there is a problem it is his problem. I just add labor other places to cover the cost of time.
Knowledge is not free.
Wags

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
I won't have my guys research part numbers for folks that want to buy them somewhere else.

I have a few that will just wear us out with questions. One jerk recently wanted me to build him an engine. His stuff he brought in was junk. Sat with water in it for years. He wanted me to bore just 1 hole to see if it would make a .040. I told him no and he got pissed. It needed 2 sleeves. So he was going to start from scratch. And insisted on starting with cylinder heads. Wanted me to research the GM performance catalog so he could buy them from a dealer that gives him a smokin deal. I told him no. He found a bunch of stuff a guy had for sale in Chicago and wanted me to one part at a time analyze if it was a good deal or not. I told him no.

I finally told him if he wants me to build him an engine that will work well for what he needs bring in some $$ and I will take care of it.

He bought the stuff from Chicago and had another shop up there do it. Called me to brag on how little power it made on the dyno. lol and then tried to wear us out about some tune up issues he was having. My guy told him he should call the guy that built it. lol
Nothing worse than getting pumped for info, and giving it, hoping to create some business, only to have the guy take your info and his money to someone else. Then when things go wrong, he's back wanting more info trying to figure out what went wrong! LOL...
"No" gets easier and easier to say. ;)

·
Gone
1,824 Posts
Ah. Retirement is great. Important things to figure out like which motorcycle to ride or tinker with today.
Thanks for reminding me how great it is.

·
just a ski boat with bark
2,811 Posts
Ah. Retirement is great. Important things to figure out like which motorcycle to ride or tinker with today.
LMAO, so you don't miss that sort of daily grind? :)sphss:p:)hand

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Nothing worse than getting pumped for info, and giving it, hoping to create some business, only to have the guy take your info and his money to someone else. Then when things go wrong, he's back wanting more info trying to figure out what went wrong! LOL...
Yeah, like you and LO and some others have ever had that happen.:D I can understand a guy looking for all the info he can get when trying it himself. But when they pump you guys for info and time and turn around and give the job to some where else, it eerks my ass.

Every time my boss tells me how bored I'll be, I just laugh.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Administrator
16,876 Posts
One of my favorites: After we give a price for doing something. A guy says "I can get that done at so and so for however much less"

I say you can get one done by us there for that much? lol

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Hey wags is it one of these? :D

If so, i have one too! There are only a few out there that supply performance parts for them let alone stock replacement parts from what i've seen and they are expensive! Jack Ashcraft is one of them, Another is a company called MSS. I bought jack ashcrafts rebuild book on these since i couldnt find anything about them on the net.

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
talk about parts gouging- rear disc brake caliper for an ISUZU ton&1/2 truck $760.00-Wait a minute-ain't ISUZU a gm product? looked real familiar, so I went with my gut and ordered one for a GMC 7000-series 2ton- lo and behold, same EXACT PART! Price? $170.00 WTF?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, it is a 1.3L ford 4 cyl straight. It is a VSG 413.
I called a supplier for a "done head". They want 900 + core and only replace valves "if needed", and seats "if needed". These engines will have 2000 to 3500 hours on them before the sets are so beat up the valves cannot be adjusted to proper lash anymore. F that. I'll do it myself. Put all new valves, seats, guides, make the mark up on parts and know it is right. Oh, and charge more than 900. :D And guarantee it.
Wags
I had a guy call about a forklift engine today. Stock type work 3x the price. Hmmm... (sure it blows to do, but WTF)

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
So thats all I have to say. lol I have no problem tossing guys out...."nickel and dime is a waste of my time"

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
hey man, if you don't do it, your competition will!;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts