Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Screamin SeaMonkees
1,663 Posts
No

But I would/will in the future.

Ever dismantle a motor, pull the freeze plugs?

Hot spots due to silt/sand deposits built up over time.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have and I was blown away by all the shit in the water passages after just 70 hours.

I honestly don't know why you don't see these in more jet boats.. or any jet boats as I've yet to see one jet boat with a SS. Obviously one of the benefits to a jet is to be able to boat in shallow water. Shallow water is a big reason you pull up so much sand and derbies. So wouldn't a SS be the smartest thing to add?

I heard that the pressure from the pump was too high for a sea strainer, however I run a water psi regulator so I don't see an issue.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
I dont know but plastic shit scares me. just seems like there is lot of sun and heat and vibration back there and i would hate for that peice to go Tango Uniform while im running around. Then again maybe im just paranoid and it would work fine.
Plastic stuff shouldn't scare you, but ya still need to buy quality. That linked Sea Dog unit costs less than dinner at McDonalds.......expect problems with that.

Quality plastic parts are a great way to beat the corrosion problems in marine systems and are pretty durable too but they aren't cheap.

Doug

·
southwindsforsure
645 Posts
that unit i put on was 130 thru mcmaster carr- has a drain cock on side of bowl - filter screen was to big - got some smaller mesh - will be going out wed to check and tune

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
I use one that cp sells, more of a sand strainer I think, part number 620-4620, works great, and has a bypass if it ever gets clogged, and is high capacity. Never ceases to amaze me how much crap is in the water even though I am very careful about where I start it and run it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've made up a few sand strainers for me and some friends and they are working great.Using stainless steel filter(top notch),machined aluminum end plates,o-ring seal,and the all thread is threaded into helicoils.End plates are 3"x3",length is 6 3/8 inch.
I'm testing them to 125 lbs.Also have been running one on my boat for a while with no problems.If anyone is interested i'll start a thread in the parts section.I have enough material for several more.I have material to make some bigger ones also.The one in the picture weighs in @ 1.15 lbs.

filter.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
for the people that arent made of money and cant aford a $600 strainer would this one do a decent job?

Amazon.com: Sea Dog 364136 POLYIN-LINE STRAINER-5/8IN HO POLY IN-LINE STRAINER: Sports & Outdoors
I've used this same strainer for well over 10 years...works GREAT! My inlet/exit ports are the next size up.

Keep in mind I'm plumed one-line in, w/two dumps out the back, run a REX T-stat bypass, PSI never goes above 10lbs usually around 5-8 with good flow out the both dumps and zero chance of steam pockets in the heads.
I also have my system plumed so there's another exact filter before the Bassett check-ball and spider lines.
I do keep a spare clear spin on cover and stainless filter onboard > never needed it.

CAUTION > this plastic filter WILL burst (if) exposed to higher water pressure, and did so in my brothers Jet > he had one line in/one dump out = too much psi!

·
Platinum Member
2,014 Posts
Obviously one of the benefits to a jet is to be able to boat in shallow water. Shallow water is a big reason you pull up so much sand and derbies. So wouldn't a SS be the smartest thing to add?

I heard that the pressure from the pump was too high for a sea strainer, however I run a water psi regulator so I don't see an issue.[/QUOTE]

The biggest myth is a jet boat can run in shallow water ! If i spend the time and money on blue printing the pump I want deep clear water only flowing thru the pump, the quartz in sand will cut into stainless steel like butter and a hot knife

We run sea strainers on all our I/O and outboards when running thru hull water pick ups to a tee and pressure relief dump valve to reduce the chance of a pressure spike at higher speeds 100+

its amazing how much crap is floating on the water surface that can be prevented from entering the cooling system

·
Registered
302 Posts
My 25 Daytona came with one for the engine, and one for the intercooler, after 3 years of boating both at local Phx,AZ lakes and Havasu, I have never found anything in either one. The engine one is for sale now, and I will probably remove the other one when time permits. TIMINATOR

·
186 Posts
sea strainer

I share the same concerns as a lot of you with the 'plastic' sea strainer and the problems that could happen if it failed. That being said, I do use one- a plastic one very similar to the one in the amazon picture. I have a pressure regulator on my system also. I check the screen pretty often and it does get trash in it occasionally. It has never given me any trouble, but I keep a pretty close eye on it. I can't even recall where I got it from. Since my water line from the regulator to the engine is just 5/8" heater hose it was nothing to just cut and plumb it in.

·
CLASSIC HOTBOATER
739 Posts
granger sell a strainer that works very well 1 in in and 1 in out with a stainless screen that can be cleaned ,traps sand very well
they sell for around 30.00
we put it inline from the pump to the motor
i will check mine and get you a part number
ray hows it going
tim

·
Platinum Member
2,014 Posts
My 25 Daytona came with one for the engine, and one for the intercooler, after 3 years of boating both at local Phx,AZ lakes and Havasu, I have never found anything in either one. The engine one is for sale now, and I will probably remove the other one when time permits. TIMINATOR
We run the river from Bullhead down to Havi in flat clam water

And pick up floating surface scum, all the time .

The Sacramento delta also put a lot of crap in the water after rains

Are you using a thru hull pick up on your Daytona ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts